[12x01] September 3rd, 2007

Was the whining noise from the engine, from the gearbox, or both? Since the Veyron uses a manual gearbox with an automated clutch (please correct me if I'm wrong?), the gears, I think, are straight cut gears; when they spin, they create a whining noise.

They veyron uses a double clutch automated manual. The gears are arranged on two layshaft, each with a hydraulically actuated clutch. The even gears are mated to one clutch and the odd gears to another, allowing it to very quickly enable one gear while disabling the other. I don't see why this would have produced the whining sound you mentioned.

Perhaps it was the combination of 4 turbochargers, or some other design feature unique to an 8 litre quad-turbo W16 engine. (oooh, I go all funny when I say "8 litre quad turbo W16!)

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds about right, now that I think about it; I don't think that type of gearbox would make the noise I was thinking of. I remember seeing a video of Hans Stuck going around the Nurburgring with an M3 racing car, which had a 'box that made huge amounts of noise throughout the rev range...

They veyron uses a double clutch automated manual. The gears are arranged on two layshaft, each with a hydraulically actuated clutch. The even gears are mated to one clutch and the odd gears to another, allowing it to very quickly enable one gear while disabling the other. I don't see why this would have produced the whining sound you mentioned.

Perhaps it was the combination of 4 turbochargers, or some other design feature unique to an 8 litre quad-turbo W16 engine. (oooh, I go all funny when I say "8 litre quad turbo W16!)

I don't think the ESP is really shut off in the last bit, you can see the right wheel twitch a little when he slides. Somewhat how Mercedes' esp when turned off still applies brakes to stabilize the car.

I also bet that the engineers (Bugatti, VW or whatever) have fiddled with the electronics on the car before they handed it over. Wouldn't want a spinning Bugatti frightening potential buyers.

Good to see that 5th Gear is back making good quality stuff.

I didn't think the shout-out was that amazing then again I didn't have any problem with it...meh!

I really like the Maserati segment, its a lovely car, and very, very, very lovely noise.

the i (or eh) review was cool, I really like that car I think its miles better than the Aygo. As for Jonny and his Double Decker smart, Ingenious solution to a problem that is easily fixed by buying a better car!

I still hate the celebrity bit - I still think it should jut be cut, there are lots of awesome cars out atm that could be shown off

Veyron! - Loved it! good to see how its built in that lovely factory, and that it actually handles on the track. tho, Bugatti know how fast your going? Unfair!

Great Episode! Enjoyed every bit of it. If FG continues with straight up car reviews like this, then I would watch it over TG if they were both on at the same time.

It kinda sucked. The filming was bad, and i hate the filler parts, they couldve made the good parts of the show longer (maserati, veyron).

And WTF is up with the fckin music?!?!?! It sucks, and they play it ALL THE TIME!! the part where tiff turns on the veyron, i was expecting that when he turns the key, they music would go off, or ATLEAST get quieter. NO. Then he says "let me blip the throttle", NO, the fckin music is still on!! at that point i was ready to stop watching the episode. (Also in the maserati part, more of the sound of the car PLEASE!) [And in the guest part where Plato drives the jaguar, it sounded great, but was fuckzored by the music, again]

But it did have some good spots, Tiff was like a kid in a candy store at the Bugatti factory, and while driving the car. I liked his "genuine" excitement about the car.

Also the Maserati is b-e-a-utiful. And the audi was nice also. Id take it over the BMW.

I found the final Veyron segment quite disappointing. With all the fuss about it I was expecting him to drive the crap out of it and at least get to see some tire smoke, or an attempt to reach high speed or something. Definitely not driving around in circles.

True, but I'd probably drive just a little bit more carefully if I had people from the factory watching my every move...I wouldn't want them on my tail as soon as I stepped out of the car...

Doesn't bode well for Top Gear having a Veyron around their test track...:(

I found the final Veyron segment quite disappointing. With all the fuss about it I was expecting him to drive the crap out of it and at least get to see some tire smoke, or an attempt to reach high speed or something. Definitely not driving around in circles.

TG are trying to get one from a Customer. May make a difference especially if the Customer has two. .... Stiggy. ....

Yea, I don't mind him driving careful because that's pretty understandable with the factory ppl watching. But then they shouldn't have used phrases like "never before shown on british television" etc. Sure we've never seen Tiff driving a Veyron in circles before, but I was really hoping for something a bit more spectacular ;)

True, but I'd probably drive just a little bit more carefully if I had people from the factory watching my every move...I wouldn't want them on my tail as soon as I stepped out of the car...

Doesn't bode well for Top Gear having a Veyron around their test track...:(

I've found that about recent Fifth Gear eps...they hype up something and then it doesn't turn out anything like they said. I highly doubt that the track part was "the best bit of british tv..."

Yea, I don't mind him driving careful because that's pretty understandable with the factory ppl watching. But then they shouldn't have used phrases like "never before shown on british television" etc. Sure we've never seen Tiff driving a Veyron in circles before, but I was really hoping for something a bit more spectacular ;)

I sure hope TG can get a Veyron to do a lap of their test track...from the little bits that Tiff did in his segment, it seems like the Veyron can really handle corners quite well for a 2 ton(ne?) car. In addition, the car would just kill the straightaways...

TG are trying to get one from a Customer. May make a difference especially if the Customer has two. .... Stiggy. ....

Impressive start to the season. I like Johnny's reviews more every time I see them. My only real complaint is the stupid celebrity stunts. I was hoping these would end with last season. Tiff in the Veyron was wonderful, but the track Bugatti provided looked more suited to go-carts than supercars. Oh, and the Veyron in the factory that was not allowed to be filmed is the new Pegaso edition, with a rumored increase in power to a bone-shattering 1200 BHP!

More pictures here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=492244

Isn't the Pegaso a custom coachworks/modified deal? I didn't think Bugatti were going to make them, i thought it was just some guy who didn't think spending a million pounds on a Veyron was quite flash enough.

Anyway, I think it's quite likely the Bugatti people didn't want Tiff to go out and really thrash the thing. This is, after all, entirely about the brand image and technology--neither of which can really be improved much by Tiff and a race track.

I imagine a private owner wouldn't be particularly excited to see Jeremy "use a hammer" Clarkson with their million pound baby, either.

Audi v BMW.

Well she induced a shed load of understeer in that BMW. But its hard to know if thats cos the chassis is crap or her driving. I suspect the latter. And as thats the case, how accurate is the result?
Oh and at first I thought she was "reformed" but then the squeeking started! :rolleyes:

Ace Cafe
Shame they are still there. Dont like the Camera shake. Has VBH there which is a downer too. However, Tom is now openly mocking her. Which is great. Estate tests seemed to be a bit filler though. But when Johny turned up. Tom looked releved to have a decent co-presenter

Mitsi "I"
Good review actually. Johnny has a cool almost laconic style which suits him perfectly. I will always think of Picachu though when I see it. Double Smart thing was a bit TG though. Ok for a few minutes, though I suspect TG would of dragged it out for 10 mins

Maserati.
Sounds like a Ferrari (unsurprisingly) solid review. I beleive its quite a big car which maybe he didnt acknowledge so much. But certainly well put together item

Plato
Surely he doesn't need his ego massaged that much :rolleyes: I dont like "non-car" celebrities on TG or FG. Quicker they drop this the better.

Veyron
100 times better than the TG review. How many people knew the exhaust exits into the rear diffuser for example? Actual facts. Actual sensations. Better that "poweerrr!" Factory review was a great addition and unlike TG he got to drive it on a track with the ESP off.

Next week.
Another crash test. Oh come on.

Overall.
This ep just reinforces to me that FG can do it if they want. But they keep the 4-5 things from the last series that were the real downers. (Ace Cafe links, VBH, Celebrites, TG inspired items and Crash tests) I just wish they would read forums, not just this one, to see what people actually want.

Hi guys,
I have just watched this ep & thought it very good in general.

Tom is always good. So nothing there to give out about..

Vickis test was a bit of a low point. I wanted to know more about the new RS5 which wasn't discussed apart from the looks of it & it has a V8. A car like this deserves a full feature all to itself.

Johnnys review was just stupid. We all know the consequences of something like that but he HAD to go & prove it. Johnny is great & very laid back so what this was all about I have no idea? Pointless if you ask me...

Tiff was brilliant as always! He took the Veyron round 'a track' but with the bosses looking on what could he do. It's not the test I hoped it would be anyways...but it was fantastic :D

All in all very, very enjoyable. Most of you guys here have expressed what I think too for this first show of a new season.

It was very good & I'll be watching for ep2 to see if they've blown all the money on ep1... :eek:

Last edited:
Iouuh, I got seasick of the camera work and cutting when they moderate in and around the caf?... :barf:
Shootout S5 vs 335i was boring, there were loads of shootouts which were very much more entertaining in series 7 and 8 (for example SL55 AMG vs SLK55 AMG).

Regarding the review of the Maserati GT: well, reviewing a Maserati in a blue shirt and wearing sunglasses with a white frame - how inappropriate is this? :blink: I couldn't even concentrate on how the rest was, it was so irritating seeing a monstrous squealing blue blob...

The review of the Mitsubishi i was entertaining, Johnny is definitely the best reviewer of the bunch - if he wouldn't try to be an actor when they meet up at the caf? because he isn't one...

The review of the Veyron was very good - until it came to driving, that totally ruined it in my opinion... :cry:

P.S.: whouw, did I really say a car review has been ruined by actually driving the car? :blink: This is a really special day, and not in a good way...

Average episode.

Vicki was rubbish - Tom and Johnny were good as usual and Tiffs test was good but not really as special as I expected it to be. And there was no word about how this car compares to the Mclaren F1...

Jan :)

800.000 viewers? that bad!

Channel Five rarely get that many viewers, so that figure isn't surprising. If that ep had been shown on BBC2 it probably would have got 3 million. The whole ratings system is pathetically inaccurate anyway.