[12x02] November 9th, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am definitely looking forward to seeing the American car segment, especially when they reach Utah!

That would be nice... somehow I doubt they'll be that nice, but one can hope

On a side note former TG guest Stephen Fry has a new show currently being broadcast on BBC1 here where he is touring all 50 states in a London black cab - it's brilliant and is giving even a card carrying Yankophile like myself a great insight into what an amazing and diverse country the US really is. If it appears on BBC America you should try to catch it. Makes me want to reach for my passport every time it's on.

From an automotive standpoint, based on what Jeremy said about the CTS-V in a recent article, it can't be all bad, can it?

From a cultural standpoint, I'm not sure they're going to pull any punches. Get ready for a description of Americans as a group of overweight neanderthals -- said lovingly, of course!

On a side note former TG guest Stephen Fry has a new show currently being broadcast on BBC1 here where he is touring all 50 states in a London black cab - it's brilliant and is giving even a card carrying Yankophile like myself a great insight into what an amazing and diverse country the US really is. If it appears on BBC America you should try to catch it. Makes me want to reach for my passport every time it's on.

Sounds cool. I have only been to maybe 20 states that I can remember at the moment, so I might be able to learn something from that show as well. I'd actually like to go back to England, as I haven't been there since I went with a class in high school. Found your country to be pretty neat and would like to see more.

I about evacuated myself when I saw the preview clips of Highway 50 ie. The Loneliest Road In The World.
Having driving this route once I can attest to the sheer mind-f*** it provides. I'm game for a long drive
(personal record is 39 hours, no coffee or cocaine) but the Nevada expanse is immense, and I was seriously taxed by the trip.

And would do it again in a heartbeat if able. Mabye next summer in my Integra. :D

H

Last edited:
we know what they'll say

Clarkson: It's great but the ride quality is HIDEOUS EWW!
Hammond: looks good and goes fast in a straight line
May: Here comes captain slow

looking forward to it

Might not turn out to be true, from what I've heard the ZR1's suspension is softer than that of the Z06, and surely Jeremy will be completely blown away by the sheer power of the thing.

Richard will probably be behind his offering heartier than he covers the 911's heavy tail since it is the recreation of one of his all time favo(u)rite cars.

I expect James to have a word about power in addition to how bad the interior is. But the interior might not be too criticized since it was supposed to have been updated.

I expect some quips about navigation and how there aren't any curves in America except on the people to pop up, but I am certain they will all:

A) Adore their respective cars
B) Be taken aback by the route on which they are taking
C) Hark back to the last time they were in America
C) Find something to hate about America, Americans and American cars

I am not familiar with the guest but hopefully it is better than the daring duos they had last series.

Really looking forward the the Fiat 500 Abarth review, that's one mean, cute little car.

I don't think the press has been giving the ZR1 enough credit, comparing it to the feeble GTR. This is a car that can lap the nurburgring faster than any production car available, and yes, we are talking faster then the Ferrari Enzo and Maserati MC12 (with the exception of track racer ACR viper).

It shattered the rule book for cornering G and slalom speeds on everyone that has tested it, 100 grand seems like a real bargain when you think about the type of cars this thing competes with it.

The 80k GTR isn't even close. I mean, ceramic brake options on most exotics are a good 30 grand by themselves.

William Young....I first thought it was William Hung, but couldn't believe it so I had to look him up

I wonder if they're gonna talk about the Chrysler Sebring Convertible

I thought they would pick one car from each of the big three, but I guess not. I'm not a fan of American muscle, and in this day and age it just seems like pure novelty. Out of the three I think the Challenger looks the best. It's got some shitty performance though.

Well -- no Ford product (2 GM, one Chrysler). Since JC was pretty complimentary about the Cadillac in his Times review, and down on it a few years ago (he thought the Vauxhaul Monaro to be a better buy), I'm curious to hear what all three have to say about the CTS-V.

Hopefully they won't make us look like a bunch of inbreds this time...

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2008/11/05/top-gear-take-two/

As ever, hilarity ensues - after the last big US trip?s adventures with gunfire, this time they provoke angry locals to pelt them with rocks.

:blink:

I guess that nobody can come up with anything better than rock throwing. Funny, I can be pretty obnoxious, and that's never happened to me. Mostly, I would be afraid of my fellow Americans using knives or guns (with good reason). I guess rocks work for the British audience though:(

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2008/11/05/top-gear-take-two/

As ever, hilarity ensues - after the last big US trip?s adventures with gunfire, this time they provoke angry locals to pelt them with rocks.

:blink:

I guess that nobody can come up with anything better than rock throwing. Funny, I can be pretty obnoxious, and that's never happened to me. Mostly, I would be afraid of my fellow Americans using knives or guns (with good reason). I guess rocks work for the British audience though:(

I had been hoping that this would be approached in a slightly more sensible manner more like the French road trip to the Millau bridge and that they would avoid the silly American stereotypes and treat the nation they are visiting and its citizens with a little dignity while allowing any humorous episodes to develop from their natural chemistry together. :rolleyes:

Sadly it would appear from the Mole's blog this won't be the case but of course I will reserve final judgement until Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.