[12x02] November 9th, 2008

[12x02] November 9th, 2008

• Total voters
I would watch Will Young and Jeremy Clarkson Decorate Surrey Houses.

But, I can't imagine that the US State Department will be pleased, that was wayyyy too entertaining. And James eventually warming to the CTS-V made me smile.

Great Episode. A 9/10 for me if it wasn't for the SIARPC, that bit is getting old really quick almost as boring as last season where they just brought in BBC people and was really boring. Also did anyone notice the video was a little choppy in some parts or was that just me?

best eps in along time :)

Oh, yeah, the episode. :D

I think the only weak part of the episode was actually, and surprisingly, the news. The "are you wearing that for a bet" doesn't have quite the staying power, or the comedy, as last series' "I was on the internet and I found THIS" running joke. The news was actually rather straightforward and informative, not as much joking around as they normally do during the news.

As for the SIARPC, I was surprised. Will Young and Jezza actually had a pretty good chemistry together, sort of an Odd Couple thing going for them. I think they may have accidentally stumbled upon a new show... maybe not for the BBC, but ITV might want to go for it. :) (And thankfully this isn't a US show, or they'd find some way to wedge an actual singing performance into the show.)

I question calling the ZR1 a "muscle car." The Challenger is a muscle car. The forthcoming Camaro is a muscle car. The Cadillac is rather loosely a muscle car. The 'Vette is a sports car, plain and simple, as Jeremy discovered. (As an aside, Chevrolet should be watching and learning from this episode and this thread. Someone at GM should now be saying "huh. Maybe we should be getting this thing over to UK already.")

I think I'm going to go with a... 9. Yeah, that sounds fair.

Tonights ep was simply brilliant. definately laughed out loud several times. although i didnt bother watching SIARPC, its just so played out. i will watch it next week though (Mark Wahlberg FTW)

I really really really really want a ZR-1

10/10

Superb episode ... not a dull segment.

The time trials on the salt flats had the same sense of anticipation and joy that came through in Jeremy's attempt to get the Diesel Jag around the Nordschleife. Great television. :)

...... oh, and, I like facts [/James May]

"8th deepest lake in North America" lol

That was amazing. For me, Top Gear is still at its best when they concentrate on being enthusiastic blokes in cars and the humour comes more naturally. Obviously, there will always be scripting, but this didn't feel over-scripted. The 500 Abarth review was fun (it looks like the car is everything I was hoping it would be), Will Young was far more entertaining than I expected and the muscle car film was awesome.

Loved every minute. After the silliness (OK, I enjoyed it, but it was very silly) last week, this is "my" kind of Top Gear episode. There was so much sheer joy to it.

And I very much want that Corvette. I have a very large soft spot for 'Vettes and it got a whole lot bigger and softer tonight :)

9/10

Fiat review was good.

As a few have already mentioned the news was a bit weak this time, odd given it's usually one of the strongest segments.

SIARPC was reasonably entertaining this week.

The American segment was fantastic. Clarkson really sold me on the Corvette and I'm just surprised in general that they were all enthusiastic about all three cars. :shock:

Usually I get annoyed when a challenge or a trip ends up dominating the episode, but this time, it felt right. Oh so very right. This goes on my best of Top Gear list, right with 07x03. When someone leaves me with a warm, fuzzy feeling at the end of a TV show, they've done something right. This is what TG UK is meant to be.

"Sorry officer... my foot slipped off the clutch" - I can't believe he said that... :lmao:

Like I said, one of the best ever.

Am I the only one to notice the last time the boys were in America Land

Hammond drove a Dodge
James drove a Caddy, and
Jeremy drove a chevy

I'm glad that this time they drove great cars!!!

Still downloading but this episode looks epic, and I hope that is stands up to what I've heard so far.

Last edited:
I would watch Will Young and Jeremy Clarkson Decorate Surrey Houses.

They had a really great chemistry together during the interview. Personally, I've never seen or heard of the "star" since I'm in the US, but the whole interview had a great charm to it IMO, and I would definitely watch them do houses. At least a pilot episode. :D

As for the rest of the episode, it was a great episode. I gave it an 8, though I was really thinking 8.5 but I couldn't do that. I mean, there have definitely been better episodes but this one was definitely a noticeable step up from last week's episode.

Looking forward to Episode 3! :cool:

Some people are saying this wasn't a super entertaining episode and I agree. The Top Gear team has gone back to their roots as being a car show that shows the viewers what a thrill it is do drive a fast sports car and it had little funny bits thrown in. This is the old Top Gear that I miss. It's not super scripted, not trying to be funny, and not trying to please non-motor heads that watch TG. It's just a pure fun car show that invokes the feeling of laying your foot down on the accelerator and going for it.

Great episode..."thinking about the things we were not supposed to do, to do" haha loved it. Clarkson was great with engine rumbling to set off car alarms, parking Challenger in middle of the road, powersliding the camper, and being flirtatious with the polizei!

All great cars, Challenger, wow, can't help but feel sad for it because it is a great car full of soul built by a company which is most certainly will cease to exist by end of the year.