[12x02] November 9th, 2008

[12x02] November 9th, 2008

• Total voters
Starting off with the Fiat. This review lacked a little something. Only a little bit - but it reminds me of why Top gear don't do small/affordable car reviews anymore because (are you listening you idiots who whine about there not being enough factual reviews in the show, because I'm only going to say this once...) they aren't very good at them anymore. The LP560-4 is all well and good, because its what Top Gear do, but the 500 just felt a little too small for this big time show (if you get what I mean). An OK review it was, but it did feel a bit too much like Fifth Gear for some reason.

The American Muscle cars however were much better. Introducing what TG is all about - mucking about while trying to look intelligent. I must say it felt much more factual than normal - and I don't mean that in a bad way... They really did portray the 3 cars as proper, brash, fun supercars.
For the first time in my life, I actually want a Corvette, a Challenger, or a Cadillac (I've always been a Viper and Charger boy). And to add insult to my injury - I actually want to go to America! (Well, only the large expanse of desert bit. I like my being alone).
It was however, entertaining. Brilliantly entertaining. I'm afraid they will have to be chased and killed by Bruce Willis. There usually is a certain let down feeling after one of these huge films that takes up almost the whole show (the specials are fine, because they are supposed to be specially long) - During the show its all brilliant, then when it ends, you feel as if you went to London's new year celebrations, then they set off five of the biggest fireworks in the world, then told you that was it and to go home... However this did not feel like this. It felt much more complete and fun. I was left with no urge for more afterwards.
And on the salt flats - there was a moment of rawness - a moment of the sense that this bit wasn't entirely set up filming wise (when they all recieved their winning speeds). I liked it a lot. As did I Jeremys awesome drifting around the mountain roads. And also wonderful to see James happy! He now shall be called James 'Captain 'Not anymore' Slow' May!
I was wondering - who thinks that Richard actually DID buy that Challenger, and if so, what happened to it. The lack of any other reference to it lead me to believe that they just pretended that Chrysler didn't lend them one.

The news was OK. A bit short, and just a news section really. Not all the usual randomness that tends to turn up, and no surprises of any kind. Left me feeling (I hate using this word) empty.
About turn when the SIARPC comes on. I wasn't really looking forward to Will Young. Hes always been in the Pop Idol/XFactor/some other shitty TV show limelight. But somehow they managed an enjoable interview that didn't end in me wanting to kill them all (what usually happens when I see Will Young). And I would just like to say that there are actually 2 people who watch all the reruns on Dave - I do too!!!

Overall, it was let down at the start a bit, but picked up from then on. It didn't leave me hanging at the end, surprised me throughout, and gave me a chance to perhaps change my ways. Although if you put the two in front of me, I'd still have the Viper over the Corvette. 8/10.

9/10, I was a little worried to start with but it came good with the road trip.

is it gonna be like the last season - every next one better and better? :)
cannot wait for the download to finish

Jimmy overtook Jezza!!! :blink::lol:
Surprisingly Will Young was a great guest.
Police on bicycles... drive away Jezza. :mrgreen:
I was disappointed in them not attacking the Yanks. :(

Jessica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Great 10/10.

The Fiat was great - I like the 500, I prefer it?s retro rebirth to that of the Mini.

The American trip was dull. Apart from James being dangerous and calling Reno a ?cack hole?. I kept looking at the clock and waiting for it to get exciting. But it didn?t. It ended.

Will Young: don?t know - switched over and watched the Spanish football for ten minutes.

I?m sure I?ll be in a minority, but that?s fine - it?s all subjective, isn?t it?

I liked the Dodge Challenger, though - it looked mean and moody; like it would strangle your cat if you dumped it for another car.

Much better this week, the only weak spot for me being SIARPC- it's just getting too old, I'm afraid. LOVED the American segment, and even the little Fiat, too.

I can't be bothered to do a massive discussion, but I gave this one a 10. For me this episode had everything, and it will definitely be up there in my all-time favourites.

Speedtouch, they did buy the Challenger and are still trying to sell it (see topgear.com blogs).

Is it me or is James more confidence lately i wonder if he did the rally driving before the lorries and the US trip and picked up some confidence.
And does anyone know what the jacket joke is about?

And herrrrrrrrrrrrre's what you're all waiting for, it's the Stig's Morse messages to his home planet in the Fiat 500 Abarth power lap...

The first one reads "I VOTED ROSS P..." before Jezza starts chuntering all over it and the spectrogram can no longer filter the morse beeps out of the sound. My ears will certainly offer no further help, and I really tried. I am going to stick my neck out and extrapolate the rest to: "I VOTED ROSS PEROT".

The second is far clearer, and says: "ME SMELL CATS".

Other than that: if I had $100,000 to spare, I'd go to America-land and buy a Corvette ZR1. And other than those three Yank-tanks that they now like, there's always that updated Mustang and the new Camaro just round the corner...

Meanwhile, I can now get back to cooking my dinner, involving turkey cooked in Reggae Reggae Sauce. Me am puttin' music in I an' I food, and it's not Finnish troll metal, or the original version of Jessica...

>>>>speedtouch "they aren't very good at them anymore"

me think they don't want to bother with boring stuff, not that they are not capable (if they really wanted) to review another toyota corolla or nissan almera...
they realize everybody would just fall asleep

The ep. was great.
I am really worried about Jezza though. This is the second time in as many weeks he has been overtaken, and by James May of all people.

I think the old man's getting old.

Awesome ep! Best of the season so far.

Two episodes?:lol:

About the episode, 10/10, I loved it. What made it special was it did something that's very rare even among the ranks of TG, it inspired. The epic cinematography, the sense of achievementand dedication, the very passion shown towards all things automotive, came through. And it even managed to be entertaining despite uh... not being entertaining.:p

I'll be watching it on iPlayer again when I get back from school tomorrow.:)

I just hope Jezza don't overdo himself like the last episode with the lorries.

great episode 9/10.
the fiat review was a bit lacking but still enjoyable.
the news segment was great as always and loved Jeremy's "apology" almost seemed if they had seen last weeks Final Gear forum and great to see them talking about the rumours of Hammond's F1 commentator theory.
the american muscle cars was the standout of the show. absolutely loved Hammond's Dodge Challenger and actually great seeing May who hated his car at first slowly get to enjoy it. Clarkson's practice lap in the camper van had me in stitches and his attempts to 'negotiate' with the police were pure entertainment.
the SIARPC was good and more enjoyable than i thought it would. Will Young was much better than i was expecting.

great episode and probably a stand-out one along with the Japan race, Bugatti Veyron race and their previous US Trip.

and for once as Jeremy put it Top Gear have been "ambitous and successfull"

for me Top Gear started THIS week. such a great episode, even though we still get 2 segments.

Fiat review was good, felt a decent length too, not too short but didnt drag on. Very impressed by that car, liked how Jezza also talked about the past Abarths too.

I liked the News this week, for once didnt go on about random things, they actually spoke about cars that were coming out. hugely suprised that James like the Megane.

Actually enjoyed watching the SIARPC segment this week, when first heard the guest would be Will Young i was expecting it to be cr@p. But glad to see he was a car and top gear fan, liked the chemistry that he and Jezza had too. Quite impressed with his lap too, would like to have seen it on a day with perfect conditions, recon would be alot higher up the board.

The road trip in the US was brilliant, one of the best segments for quite some time, never felt dull or scripted. Thought their time in Reno was great, especially getting pulled over by the cops. Thought the 11s on the road was hilarious especially captain slow putting his caddy off the road. The mountain roads look amazing, and the ZR-1 sliding round the corners was beautiful, if only Top Gear was in HD. Loved how we saw the speed demon come out in captain slow both on the mountain road and on the salt flats. I'd enjoyed the segment so much that i was hoping that each of them would reach their goals to end such a great road trip. After seeing that the ZR-1 definatly has a place in my fantasy garage.

Top Gear is back, just hope it keeps up this momentum for the weeks to come.

9/10

As I said before, fantastic!