[12x02] November 9th, 2008

[12x02] November 9th, 2008

• Total voters
Just last week I drove from San Francisco out east through Nevada and Arizona so it was a nice surprise to see them do it. They weren't exaggerating; some of those roads will bore you to tears.

Want a ZR-1, but again the filming and the sound didn't really give you a good impression of the power or speed. Surprised that Will Young was a good guest.

If the roads are deserted and you have a 200MPH car in your hands... you boot it. :)

9/10 defo, this was one of the memorable episodes, although I felt like I had seen a lot of the scenes from previous episodes, there was a brilliant mood and emotion in America... but I don't want to go deeply into that ;)
I didn't really think Will Young was all that entertaining, a lot of his jokes were kinda tame, and the audience sometimes nervously laughed.

That beside, I was amazed at how short Hammond looked when they filmed him talking (introducing the next clip or something) infront of the Hilux... the truck seemed to grandly tower over his midget figure, making him look even more smaller!

>>>>speedtouch "they aren't very good at them anymore"

me think they don't want to bother with boring stuff, not that they are not capable (if they really wanted) to review another toyota corolla or nissan almera...
they realize everybody would just fall asleep

The new Ford Fiesta is going to be reviewed this season, but that's because it's pretty much the most popular car in the UK.

This is what TG should be about, and it's a case of DO VERY WANT with that ZR-1. Never more have I wanted JC's job! What is even more incredible is that they all went to the US and didn't mock it or it's cars at all, Hades must be chilly...
Didn't pay much attention to Will Young but he seemed OK, even if his mouth is far too wide.

Liked the 500 as well. Over the whole ep they all were much more natural and less ridiculous, but they were still very very entertaining. Call in Willis and the choppers...

Hilarious

Hilarious

Well, first time poster here, long time Top Gear watcher. What a hilarious show, you can see the mischief in Jeremy's and Richard's faces as they said "right, no racing from the red light" and they decided to do it anyway!

I love the fact that they decided to stick it to the US State Department, "yes yes we are going to make a factual program!", and then run off and muck about and make fun of it.

I was wondering - who thinks that Richard actually DID buy that Challenger, and if so, what happened to it. The lack of any other reference to it lead me to believe that they just pretended that Chrysler didn't lend them one.

My guess would be that the Top Gear production company bought it, and they sold it on again at the end of the trip.

As they said, as there's a huge demand for Challengers, they probably would have made almost no loss at all on it.

As for the episode - 9 or 10 from me. Great mix of facts, entertainment, cocking about and humour. Bang on the money.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Hammond actually did buy it, either way I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. :)

Im still annoyed that its only Clarkson you see at the very beginning of the show. Why not the other 2?

Fiat review. That was quite long. And a good review especially adding the Strada and old Abarth 500. I liked it. However, a car like that is better tested on the roads not the track. But then Im getting sick of every car being on the track.

News. Ok. "and you're saying that to a mna with 1.2 Panda" :lol:

America. I liked it, but there were moments which stunk. I cannot BELIEVE that the cameras didnt catch James "crashing" which makes me think it was set up. Also Hammonds car moving. He was sitting right in the window. He WOULD of seen it happening. Could of doen without the "factual" gag every other 2 minutes as well. Once of twice would of been fine. And as for that Police "interview" where hes giving him the finger? Come on. I noticed at the beginning there was quite a crowd around the guys. And where did Hammond find the $51K (and a car to buy!) needed at short notice? I didnt believe that either.

Cinematography was excellent and I think the speed runs felt believable. Some classic one liners in there too. "You're cleaning that up" :lol:

SIARPC. Didnt really watch it. Cant comment

Its still only 1 car review and a "team activity" though.
7/10

My guess would be that the Top Gear production company bought it, and they sold it on again at the end of the trip.

As they said, as there's a huge demand for Challengers, they probably would have made almost no loss at all on it.

As for the episode - 9 or 10 from me. Great mix of facts, entertainment, cocking about and humour. Bang on the money.

I thought they went way too easy on the yankmobiles.
Sure, they are powerful and fast, but the plastic? The dull, cheap interior?
I could never have lived with that in a car.

Other than that, great episode, 9/10.

- 500 Abarth film was TOTALLY overgarnished by effects, but the actual content was very good.
- The news finally containing some cars, which was good. Still room for more tho.
- The guest was a total stranger for me. One of the first SIARPC segments I've skipped in a long time.
- Main film was pretty good. No complains really. Too bad they are taking the piss about being a "factual TV program".

But JC parking RH's car on the middle of the road :lmao: :lmao:

Almost forgot: THANK YOU FOR TELLING THE GT2 TIME, CLARKSON!

Last edited:
I forgot...

"Where are you guys from, Australia?" <_<

What a grade A c***.

Finally speed is picking up...I'm doing my part so all can get it a bit faster. We Love Sundays at Space Ibiza...I mean "We Love Sundays (around 5pm EST) at Final Gear"

To be honest I was worried after last weeks episode. I thought that the Top Gear magic was, sort of, gone. I guess I was wrong. This is an episode that really is what I want from Top Gear. Starting of with a good review of the Fiat. It was interesting and factual, which I like. Some say that it was too much like Fifth Gear, but you've also got to admit that this is what Top Gear should be like, unless you fancy the 59 minutes of cocking about and one minute about cars. This felt more proper.

The news was ok, it wasn't a great one, but it sure made me laugh a bit. Especially the Panda 1.2 part. Also the SIARPC was really good. As someone who ignores Pop Idol and all such nonsense I was surprised that he was as good as he was. The banter about pillows and flower shows was.. great!

Then the muscle car segment. I thought that, oh no, here we go again with a driving story that is just going to be.. generic. In a Top Gear way, that is. But it surprised me. It actually as really good. First off, Richard actually having to buy his car, which was quite fun. Jeremy being in trouble with the police, Hammonds car moving mysteriously and James driving like the driving god that he is. Except from the elevenses (spelling..?) that is.

I must rate this a 9/10, where the last episode was a 5/10. This was so much better. The banter, the cars, the review, the news. Everything. Loved it.

Last edited:
New user here, I finally got round to registering! Anyway, I really loved tonight's episode. I thought it was the best I've seen in a while. It's better now they have got rid of some of the silliness from last series (like the "I went on the Internet..." etc.), it's starting to feel like older TG again.