[12x02] November 9th, 2008

[12x02] November 9th, 2008

• Total voters
New user here, I finally got round to registering! Anyway, I really loved tonight's episode. I thought it was the best I've seen in a while. It's better now they have got rid of some of the silliness from last series (like the "I went on the Internet..." etc.), it's starting to feel like older TG again.

Firstly :welcome:

I think you will find that they have replaced the "I went on the internet...." with "Are you wearing that for a bet...." plus the morse code as this series' two running gags. I quite like them - it's something to look forward to if you're old and sad like me.

Brilliant!

The FIAT test shows that it doesn't matter if it's a billion pounds of hyper-car or a hot hatch as long as it's on Top Gear.

The news was as always very funny, especially "[...]and you're saying that to a man with a 1.2 panda? Mister swollen wheel-arches Mercedes CLK Black?" :lol:

The American film... Awsome, completely stunning. But. But I felt that it lacked some of the truly funny parts I've grown to expect from a Top Gear film. There was never a moment when I really laughed out loud.

Also:
I cannot BELIEVE that the cameras didnt catch James "crashing" which makes me think it was set up.

I'd rather think that just because the camera didn't catch it, it was most likely 100% real.

9/10

Last edited:
Oh no, the union of buglers will be complaining tomorrow!!

Fiat was good, a lot better than the lambo (if the car wasn't as good) after watching TG:a last night I am reminded how far ahead UK is. Good fact and a conclusion, everything I want.

The news this week was great, best news I've seen for a while.

The guest wasn't as bad as I thought he was gong to be, when he came out I reached for the remote to skip but gave him a shot and it wasn't JK good but I was expecting as annoying as the gay guy from last series.

The America thing was a bit lacking, the "we need to stay factual" got old very very quick. And outside of the 11's it wasn't very entertaining until the end. The reno bit was kinda funny, the alcoholic Indian was a nice touch, you do meet some trash in that town. It's vegas for people who can't afford vegas :rofl: The twisty road saved a lot though, it was good to see the captain getting into it. For these long challenges I expect something remember-able to happen... and nothing in the challenge did.

They sure do love to go to the biggest shitholes in America to show the UK "what America is like" :rofl:

8/10, The America bit kept it from being a 9 or 10.

Angry Swede.

They lined him up and counted him down. No camera operator in the world wouldnt of been focused on the car driving into the distance. It wasnt that he just "happened" to overdo it by accident.

RichW.

You know what, re-watching that bit I'm going to concede your point, but come up with a new and better objection: They did it that way because it looks prettier on the telly! Ahaha. I think you'll find that argument to be completely watertight! :p

LOL:D

Clarkson with the Winnebago - damned near wet myself...

I didn't enjoy this episode. It was too factual :p

But really, I loved the episode. I loled when James overtook Jezza and when Hammond found out about his "Mystic of the Salt flats":lol:

I gave it a 10. The episode was a perfect mix between messing around and proper reviewing. They reviewed 4 cars (to an extent), so yea.

Oh and CAPTAIN SPEED :).

Brilliant!

The American film... Awsome, completely stunning. But. But I felt that it lacked some of the truly funny parts I've grown to expect from a Top Gear film. There was never a moment when I really laughed out loud.

I have to agree, I didn't laugh as much as im used too while watching Top Gear, Either way an excellent episode :)

I gave it 8/10

Fiat review was good. I completely ignored the SIRPC because i'm an american and i don't know who the heck 98% of the stars are

Now the american muscle car thing. It was good but they needed to spend more time in america. There wasn't enough action in the film, the best i saw was the flatts. I wish they would of did more stuff in america. The factual thing was stupid and they should of fixed that before they did anything, it was a little funny but it would of been better with it being fixed. For the conclusion of the story, Jermemy said that there were 3 good american cars, uhhh, last i remember he didn't drive the challenger and the challenger is a pure american V8 RWD car, Jermemy doesnt like those type of cars last time i checked. This makes me a little worried.

But heck the news part was good, not as good as the last one. I liked this episode though. Remember I gave it a 8/10 not 4/10.

Last edited:
Abarth 8/10
Road Trip 5/10 - Top Gear road trips used to have an adventureous feel to them, USA (Florida), Africa, Polar.
This one doesn't, at best it's a half decent review. Lacked commentary, thoughts, facts, deeper meaning, enthusiasm, passionate way of explaining things that clarkson does so well on the CLK black in his recent DVD (maybe thats aimed at a different audience where I personally fit in better). Wait, james did get started on but was then faded out. The humour was there as usual, fun, entertaining, but thats not all im looking for.

The drag racing was just boring. I didn't get that at all.

Richard finally bought his Challenger. Anyone remembers the 08x06 show? Richard and Jeremy have an argument about mussle cars, which after some shouting ends with Richard exclaiming "Right, I'm going to buy that Dodge Challenger when it comes out!" as a joke.

The Fiat 500 review was alright, bit to much of the effects department. The American film was fun :)

OK, just watched tonights and I really enjoyed it. I don't mind a whole show of cocking when it's as good as that, but they should be a couple of times per season, with the remainder more focussed on cars. I'm not after stats and facts, but decent group tests done in 'their style' which give you an insight into the cars abilities whilst also being entertaining and funny. I always say the IoM review of the S2000, Boxster and Z4 was one of the best. I also loved the Monaro, Jag and 300C on Pendine Sands, and the BMW 6, Jag XKR and 911 razzing around the Yorkshire Dales. Tonights feature was much like those, and all the better for it, even though the cars were largely irrelevant to our market. A big improvement on last weeks show, even the SIARPC was good with Will Young being very funny and likeable so an 8/10 from me. I enjoyed the 500 review, but Jodie could have been put to better use in less clothing ! I'd have cut her bit and done an on-road comparison with a couple of it's competitors with May & Hammond driving.

I loved the episode, it's one of my all-time favorites.

In the past four series at least (9, 10, 11, 12), I think the second episode of each series has been the best.

S09E02: James in the Bugatti, and golf-playing in the small coupes (TT, RX8, Brera)
S10E02: Audi R8, amphibious cars Pt 2
S11E02: EvoX vs Impreza, Audi RS6, Return of Cool Wall, AMG CL Black

Any disagreement?

With you on that one. A proper car focussed episode, and the only one of that series still on my HDD.

I loved the episode, it's one of my all-time favorites.

In the past four series at least (9, 10, 11, 12), I think the second episode of each series has been the best.

S09E02: James in the Bugatti, and golf-playing in the small coupes (TT, RX8, Brera)
S10E02: Audi R8, amphibious cars Pt 2

Any disagreement?

agree with you up to S11E02, i thought the one with the Japan car v bullet train race was much better last season. but that's my own opinion.
this one reminded me a lot of the one the terrific trio did with the 3 supercars, hammond's zonda, clarkson's Ford GT (which i saw in a ford dealership here in swindon and drooled over) and May's Ferrari through the streets of Paris and France as well.

I enjoyed the 500 review, but Jodie could have been put to better use in less clothing ! I'd have cut her bit and done an on-road comparison with a couple of it's competitors with May & Hammond driving.

... Are you sure you're not thinking of Clarkson's latest video "Thriller", where he has a car chase with Jodie Kidd?

So judging by the news comment by May, Clarkson seems to have bought a CLK black. Am I right?

Oh yeah, did he refer to our hate when he mentioned the GT2 time?

I really rather enjoyed it, similar complain this time to other times though, specifically with James Mays grunting and whining. Would have been better to actually hear slices of his whining rather then just a sign that says "many minutes later", kinda feels like they may have ran out of time when editing it, if thats the actual cause then I for one will never want to rush TopGear again. If it was enfact lazyness then i hope like hell they start beating their editors until moral improves.

Has anybody else noticed the soundtrack has seemed to shrink? Maybe its just my imagination but is their any clear reason for it? I know they used to be able to knick about any song they wanted for TopGear, seems much more limited now.