[12x03] November 16th, 2008

[12x03] November 16th, 2008

• Total voters
5/10

Simple reasoning:

When it was over, I went: "Wait a minute, was there a car test?"
No, there wasn't. Not even close.
And the Avantime bit was stupid. And what was the blender all about?

TopGear: Where is your focus?

10/10
very very entertaining .
funniest news in a long time (making james into captain blur and kicking himself in the nuts):lol:
hammond asking if there is a big version for the obese demographic
the faces Hakkinen was making
James:"is it finnish to line up the vents all one way ?" Hakkinen:"... no"
having to know how to drive before you get a license ... what a concept ! maybe we should try that here in the usa !
v8 blender !

i guess opinions vary , but i thought it was the one of the funniest episodes ever . it only ended too soon .

I will be dissapointed if James May will start reviewing supercars with powersliding. I think he brings nice contrast to Clarkson and Hammond. I think we don't need three guys to throw cars around on a track....

Awesome episode.

News .. funny as
Mark Wahlberg ... surprisingly good SIARPC, since he is shit in all his movie roles.
V8 blender :lol: ... would love to see some more ideas like this.
Aventine modifications ... an idea stolen from Vroom Vroom Vroom but really well done ... the thing looked awesome going around the track on the final lap (sans spoiler)!
James in Finland ... hilarious ... Mikka, what a sport!

... that is all. Didn't even notice that they failed to review a car :|

James in Finland was brilliant, the rest of the ep wasn't great but not a waste of time either.. The tuning part could have been done better..

The only part that knocked it from a high score was the V8 blender for me, seemed too "man show"ish.

Wait a sec... being "man showish" is what TG is about. Three blokes cocking about and having fun while talking about and driving exiting cars... i think TG is the closest we'll ever get to a real-world "Tool Time", so overly macho manly manlieness, done in a very male way is exactely what it's about ;-)

42!

Last edited:
Just watched it now (finally!), first Toyota segment was awful! Boring and irrelevant I can see why it was cut from the last series, something like that would be more suited to one of May's technology shows.

Finnish segment was great, James has really paid attention during his time with Mika and Jackie Stewart, did pretty well in the race as well for a first timer.

Avantime segment was also very good, not their best but I was impressed that they managed to get 7 seconds off the original time.

Overall it was a good episode, only downside was they included Hammond's utterly crap segment where they could have put a review of a car in.

7/10

I enjoyed that. May's segment with Hakkinen and the race was awesome, liked the V8 engine blender and the Avantime segment was also entertaining. I guess the first part with Hammond's wheelchair thingo let it down a bit, but I didn't really watch that (was playing poker for the first part, then went and joined my housemate on the computer to watch the rest). So based on more or less skipping the first part, fast forwarding through the SIARPC as always, I give this episode an 8.

A bit late but I finished watching too.

I really really love how they treated the Stig in the tune up segment, and his reaction to most things. Very animalish. Especially when they lifted the car up and Hammond "the stig is still inside!" with Clarkson "there is no time to get him out!!"

I too felt the episode was a bit weird but I thoroughly enjoyed it. My family too enjoyed the 1st segment on that odd chair/car, as it could be of some use to them in the future if it comes out.

I didn't mind the May section, was fairly educational to me.

Only thing was SIARPC, I have no idea who he was and didn't find it too funny.

But overall I watched it like any other episode and enjoyed it regardless.

Could the "credit crunch" be hitting them hard this time around? Hence the "no cars" thing this week . . . just a thought.

I have been replaying the V8 blender part a dozen times, and it still makes me laugh my socks off. Especially when I see the "bloody awful" spout out of the cooking pot accompanied by the earth-shattering V8 noise. Eat your heart out, Tom Dickson! It was a welcome burst of total absurdity in an otherwise pretty serious show. A good show nonetheless, I give it a 9: not perfect but close.

8/10, never 10/10, just too disjointed.
agree with most people..

Avantime was neat but should have been longer, c'mon make it fly, do the nitro.. :) make it come back.
Seeing the STIG involved is always a hit too!

Blender, ah, for once let Jeremy have some fun, we laughed harder about James's expression and Hammonds "yeah I had some" than the blender though :)

SIARPC guy just too up himself, sorry man, yank (actors) lost their coolness status quite a while back.

I think that the blender thing says something about JC, he choose an American engine, is he a secret American as well?

That engine looks like it came from a drag racing car. Maybe JC though that engine was all it's good for - a blender.

That engine looks like it came from a drag racing car. Maybe JC though that engine was all it's good for - a blender.

JC said it's from a Vette and except for the short pipes (which my neighbor "would have cut much shorter") it looks like a stock V8, not like a drag racing one...

After watching the episode, coupled with every post-retirement interview I've seen, I'm amazed how I ever disliked Mika Hakkinen. He was absolutely fantastic, what a great guy.

A message to the cretin who tried to negrep me for using the TG host faces in my post about this episode:

negrepfailure.jpg

You know what that grey blob there means? It means you can't be trusted to give out reputation. I'll bet you've got three or four posts on the board and a huge red blob underneath your username. Haven't you? Go on, surprise me.

Viper? Quiky? Can we have a new forum feature that allows us to beat idiotic newkids to death with a chair? Think of the fun we could all have with that.

Learn *THWACK!* to *THWACK!* use *THWACK!* the *THWACK!* forums *THWACK!* properly *THWACK!* before *THWACK!* you *THWACK!* even *THWACK!* think *THWACK!* about *THWACK!* touching *THWACK!*...

...my chair's broken. Will someone get me a new chair?

Right, got it...

...the *THWACK!* reputation *THWACK!* button *THWACK!* *THWACK!* *THWACK!*

Whoever said violence never solved anything has never watched Bottom.

All right, who said this was trolling? It's not. It's called making a point. And have the brass monkeys to give out your name.

No, it's neither trolling nor making a point. The whole negrepping discussion, as i pointed out one or two pages ago, is feeding the trolls.

And i would love to stay on topic in this forum... i'd be delighted to take part in troll-whacking, negrepping discussions, etc somewhere over in the The Forums section, though.

And i would love to stay on topic in this forum... i'd be delighted to take part in troll-whacking, negrepping discussions, etc somewhere over in the The Forums section, though.
I'm just working on that one... give us a minute while I edit the "News Outtakes" post which I'm keeping well groomed.

EDIT: Done it. Take a look.

EDIT AGAIN: For those of you who don't look at my new post (though I'd appreciate it if you do), the whole "hitting with chairs" comment was supposed to be funny. Those of you who have watched the News Uncut for 12x01 will know why. At least one forum user has got the joke at least.

Last edited:
I lol-ed :D