[12x03] November 16th, 2008

[12x03] November 16th, 2008

• Total voters
I think the only parts worth watching in this ep were James' trip to Finland and the Avantime mod (only slightly). Loved Mika's face when James spun the first time on the rally course! I expected SIARPC to be disappointing. I was wrong, though. It was rubbish. Please, please Andy, get someone who's even minutely interested in cars next time.

7/10 for me.

It was a very nice, relaxing episode. Mark was a bit dull, but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed it! 9/10.

Also, why do people assume because they have heard of the guest it will be good? Some of my favourites have been with people I have never heard of but ended up being immensely entertaining...

Last edited:
james when he caught his thumb in the tyre fitter and then kept his mouth shut till he went out side to scream lol hilarious

Hi everybody!
I've got a question. (I'm new in this forum, by the way, i's just great!), sadly I can't use nova or any torrent at the Univ. any of you knows if there's a copie on Rapidshare, or so?

take care, and thanks!

I would love it if the US driving test were anywhere near as comprehensive or thorough as the Finnish driving test. Political suicide to anyone who tries to implement it, as most of the drivers on US roads would lose their licenses, and we think it's our god-given right to drive here... but, y'know.

The SIARPC segment had a lot of what's been missing lately; humor. So far, it's just been humor that only some people (or Yorkshiremen) would understand... and this interview produced humor that everyone understands.

The challenge felt a bit... daft. I know, calling a Top Gear challenge "daft" is like calling a baby squishy, but I'm confused as to why they spent their money like they did.

Hi everybody!
I've got a question. (I'm new in this forum, by the way, i's just great!), sadly I can't use nova or any torrent at the Univ. any of you knows if there's a copie on Rapidshare, or so?

take care, and thanks!

Check out this thread over in the Video Offers section. It should cover all your needs.

Toyota: That thing looks sick. Someone should put a turbocharger on it and give it to Stephen Hawking.
News: Ehh
Finland: That was awesome. It goes to show that learning can be fun. I know that sounds cheesy but I actually did learn something from that segment! :eek:
SIARPC: I can't say that he was bad because he wasn't boring, but every second I was biting my nails (figuratively) because I didn't want him to come off as a huge dickface and spoil everything.
V8: The fuck? Seriously what the fuck? It didn't feel right but it was hilarious nonetheless. James's reaction was priceless.
Renault Challenge: So-so. I liked it.

Overall: 8/10

Ps. That V8 sound gave me a massive boner.

The Toyota chair reminds me of WALL-E.

The V8 Blender reminds me of Home Improvement.

EDIT: Sigh. So apparently since I've been neg-repped for saying SIARPC was funnier when it appealed to me, I'll defend my statement by saying this:

Compare the laughter from the audience for Wahlberg's interview to the laughter from the audience for Parkinson's or Will Young's. The people who were THERE thought Wahlberg's interview was more entertaining than Parkinson's. I wasn't saying "I'm not British, so it was more engaging than previous interviews", I was saying "it was more engaging than previous interviews".

Last edited:
10/10 from me.

It was right up there with my all time favourite episodes. The only thing which I didn't quite like was the amount of people talking in the room where I was watching it, PLEASE SHUT UP WHEN TOPGEAR IS ON. But I made amends and watched it again on iPlayer as soon as it appeared.

Toyota bit: I would have one of those....until I managed to get myself a proper car.
News: Very funny
Finland: Brilliantly Awesome, Hakkinen was and is the best :cool: Also one of my favourite segments ever shown.
V8 Blender: Why has no one thought of that before, and I can't not have that much power in my kitchen.
SIARPC: It was OK, not bad enough to make me give it a 9 overall. Also, please no Italian Job sequel, just no....no.
Avantine: Cocking about in a mechanical and engineering fashion. Excellent.

meh, only 8/10 from me, weird episode really. Felt like they had some films left over that didn't fit in anywhere else so they all showed them in a row in an attempt to make an episode out of it...

Anyway

Wheelchair thing : very strange thing, but the review went on far too long. Could have done without
News : OK, as usual
Finland : Brilliant. Great cars they used there too (Merc C 63 AMG and an that Old Merc! :drool: )Mika being himself, I lold hard when James asked "I want to have all the vents in my car in the same position, does that make me Finnish?" The idea behind those races is brilliant, and it's good to see James being so competetive! Take that Bill Oddie and 12yr old girls!
Challenge : was OK, but we knew it was going to end badly. I was surprised that james could unlock another 50 hp from the engine by simple tuning though. Besides, 1.35 in that car ain't half bad!

other bits like the V8 blender and the SIARPC were just crap. i'm sorry they just were!

Last edited:
What annoyed me...

What annoyed me...

Was a good show, bit dis-jointed and I feel vaguely guilty for thinking the Avantime looked decent before it was modded. But...

Why on earth did everyone start laughing when Mark Whalburg (sorry about the spelling) started to tell his amusing "I used to steal cars" anecdotes. I don't want to sound all Daily Mail about this but if I am not mistaken if you steal someones car, you're a f&ck1ng pr1ck, no-matter how famous you are and it's not especially funny.

/Rant

I gave it a 9 only because of how amazing the Finland segment was. Other than that, the pacing was indeed off, the news was cliched, Marky Mark looked like he was going to brutally murder Clarkson at any second (JC looked terrified, maybe he had asked Mark if he talks to animals), and the Toyota chair frankly scares the hell out of me. When you end up using your chair to be socially connected, isn't it a bit overwhelming? Especially given how often your average college student spends on Facebook and text messages? :)wheelchair:)

The V8 blender seemed kinda ridiculous but I laughed my face off when James drank the stuff out of nowhere. :lmao:

Loved it - funny as hell in fact I had to pause it several times because my stomach was hurting so much from all the laughing I was doing - at one point my wife came downstairs and asked if I was having a stroke or something.

The only bit I was dissapointed with - and this is the first time it's happened to me - was the Star in A Reasonably Priced Car. I only vaguely knew who is was and wasn't that interested in him - Jeremy has got very fawny lately hasn't he?

It did make me appreciate and relate to the foreign TG fans (those not in the UK) who don't like SIARPC because they don't know the guest.

There's no way TG will be allowed to scrap it while Jonathan Ross is off the air though as its really the only primte time (big ratings) chat segment on BBC TV at the moment.

imo it was a good episode. Loved the news (u know will young is gay) and the finland bit. (Takes 3 years to get a full drivers license?!?!?!?!)

SIARPC was boring, no wait, REALLY boring...dissapointment...

The "ready, steady, cook" thing with Jezza was brilliant!

And then the Avantime, loved the whole bit!

8/10 for me.

Why on earth did everyone start laughing when Mark Whalburg (sorry about the spelling) started to tell his amusing "I used to steal cars" anecdotes. I don't want to sound all Daily Mail about this but if I am not mistaken if you steal someones car, you're a f&ck1ng pr1ck, no-matter how famous you are and it's not especially funny.
For the same reason why Richard Whiteley (and the audience) was laughing when he talked about someone stealing his car; because it's funny in an anecdotal sense.

This was bloody proper old school top gear which we (the hardcore fans) like!
It seems the forums are overcrowded with people willing to see some scripted falling over. Bleh.

For the same reason why Richard Whiteley (and the audience) was laughing when he talked about someone stealing his car; because it's funny in an anecdotal sense.

Not really the same. Whitely was the victim, Mark.W was the criminal. If someone stole your car then went on television a few years later and told an "anecdote" about it, would that be funny?

I didn't even bother with SIARPC when I heard "hollywood star". I just muted the telly and made a phone call.

The V8 Blender - I know some people hated it but I have to admit it had me in tucks. Top Gear hasn't made me laugh so hard since Jeremy arrived at the campsite with a cow on the roof of his car. Reminded me of some of the things they used to do in the embryonic days of series 1 and 2.
Me too. It also reminded me of some of the stuff Clarkson used to do in his short-lived chatshow years back (anyone remember the potato/turkey bazooka?)

Not really the same. Whitely was the victim, Mark.W was the criminal. If someone stole your car then went on television a few years later and told an "anecdote" about it, would that be funny?
Well, assuming I know the certain someone who stole my car also assumes that proper retribution would have been delivered, either by the courts (jail) or me (flogging). Why should I care what they do after that?

It's not like he's saying "HAY STEALING CARS IS GREAT" either; I'm sure we've all done something in our lives that we aren't proud of but can still have a laugh about.