[12x03] November 16th, 2008

[12x03] November 16th, 2008

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
That new Toyota. Hmm...I don't think it'll become popular. I'd be surprised if they sold more than 5 in this country, a least ones that didn't go straight into museums. Its a japanese thing, thats for sure. Not a 'youthful' thing. I think companies need to concentrate more on - and I know this sounds stupid, but - cars. Pretty informative, with an amusing 'interview'. Maybe the success of last week's 'factual' performance has changed them a bit...

The news, well a good one again. Amusing comments on the Dacia '4x4 even though its not actually called a Dacia because it has a Renault badge on it, but we know that and are ignoring it for the purpose of this example of a new car' Sandaro, however again not that much actual news. The V8 blender was a hilarious interval to a section of seriousness. The Man juice: AKA The Bloody Awful!! :lol: And when are they going to do the Cool Wall again???
The SIARPC was OK, but I felt that Mark Wahlberg swore a little too much (I mean its a bit low as such...), but still an OK intervew none the less. I would've liked to see some of his offs though - shame.

The Finnish driving section was certainly an interesting insight into another culture, but also it just adds to my depression. Their driving test consists of drifting, and even then you get kids (the one on the show looked what, 12?) having more fun then ever. But anyway. Nice to see James succeeding in being a fast[er] driver again. I loved Mika's intro too. Damn retired bloke! The race looked brilliant fun, and a brilliant way of doing motorsport - keeping it even by the selling/buying rule.

The Avantime saw another excellent ending to a show. I've also always loved it's quirkyness, and how it seems awkward, but not weird. Their modifications certainly seemed interesting... most of them being good ideas too, except for the spoiler and splitter. Sounded pretty awesome too! The end result was still pretty good, despite failing to reach a damn ambitious target. And why didn't they note they had been ambitious but rubbish? :p

Overall I think its a huge improvement on the shows where they have one huge film filling the show (even though they are brilliant). A wonderful range of ideas and pieces today. 9/10.

wow, a proper service can make THAT much difference, i'd sure gladly spend an all nighter doing that! It may be the key to gaining good MPG's back.. I think its time for a rolling road test for me!

The episode was great for me, but then again, ive never really been 'unhappy' as such with any TG.

The toyota thing didn't interest me much.. I think in this episode would have been the best to introduce the challenge at the beginning of the episode.

I think it would have been time better spent extending the finnish section, that time being... BRING MIKA TO THE UK AND PUT HIM AROUND THE TRACK!!

The news was good, always just some comedy banter that gets you chuckelling, love the V8 blender.

SIARPC.. pretty good, was surprised by his background, and to come so far from that lifestyle, so good goin really..

I really enjoyed the aventime section, but was a little gutted that when i looked at the clock there was only about a quarter of the episode left, which goes back to ditching the toyota thing intoing the challenge at the beginning. I would have loved them to uprate the car to crazy heights.. feasible things, like a remap and turbo+intercooler...

Last edited:
I agree with Speed on the News which was great. I liked MW in SIARPC. The challenge was different but they still failed - why would they succeed? They are in a heavier car with less than 300 bhp that is in the EVO?

Really enjoyed that ep - reccommended. 9.5 so er just a 10 on the score board.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this episode too. I quite enjoyed the May/Mika segment, plus the V8 blender was just too funny.

I gave it a 9 the reason i did not give it a 10 is i found the guest to be really boring he looked like he did not care about his lap time.
Love James racing but was hoping James bit would have been longer also just realized there was no car review lol.
Did you spot the bit after they put the new seats in you could still see the old ones in some shots.
And as for the blender just goes to show James will eat anything.

I liked it, but I didn't think it was that special.
Loved the Finnish driving part though. I really didn't know that it took over 3 year to get your drivers licensce over there. The idea about the weekend races is also awesome. You can buy everybody's car afterwards, so people don't get to serious about it. The fun aspect must stay in the first place. Genius, if you ask me.

The V8 blender segment was funny, but I had the feeling that it was just there to fill some extra minutes on the show. Kudo's to James to drink that meat/brick/tabasco mixing thought.

With the Renault Avantime, the mods weren't very spectacular, and it was all a bit predictable. I mean, when I saw the new brakediscs, I immediatly thougt: they will never fit in the wheels. I liked the idea of that challenge, but I feel the producers have chosen the wrong car. You can't really make a car like an Avantime much faster. With another car, that challenge could be way more entertaining. Besides, I had the feeling that the mods they made to it were a bit lame. Where's the weight-shedding by removing doors etc? I had expected some more over the top modifications. The spoiler did that, but it wasn't enough :)

So overall, I give this episode a solid 7. An average episode, nothing spectacular or special about it, but it still beats any other TV-show.

And another thing, which bet did Hammond lose? Any information on that? Because that was one awful vest he was wearing! :p

Last edited:
Did I hear correctly?

James, in a few weeks, doing a supercar powertest on the track?

I guess I may have been in an odd mood (I didn't think so at the start) but that was the most disappointing TG in 5 years for me. Chair thing was ok, news felt a bit off, totally bored by the V8 blender - sure if it was a charity special but why on regular TG - really did enjoy the Mika/Finland bit, hated the SIARPC, just a film promo (and I usually like SIARPC) but there was no tension or excitement in the Renault Avantime section as again it seemed so unlikely, random and pointless. Truely disappointed.

Crash

The Jap wheelchair could have been a news item. Pointless and not even a funny article.

The news was OK and contributed to me giving 1 point of a '2' I gave this episode.

The food blender was mildy amusing, but I'd rather have seen a car review instead.

Mika and Eeyore was OK giving the other half of my '2'.

The tuning segment was drab. Lacked their humor, interplay and any excitement.

So, how many cars were reviewed ? The entertainment value is wearing off for me, and the fact that they have strayed very far from the point of the show continues to detract from my enjoyment of the show. As a kid I watched 'old' TG avidly, enjoyed the emergence of Clarkson and the way he made even the old show more fun. I have loved the 'new' show right from the off, but for how much longer ? So far this season I didn't like the opener with the lorries. I enjoyed the US road-trip, but would have liked at least one more car in that show. But tonights was drab IMHO.

A very average ep.

They had over ?9000 to spend tuning a car, and they did the brakes and suspension!!!! Where were the 1000hp turbos etc!!
Not very top gear! But then top gear isnt very top gear anymore :(

9/10 really funny episode however wasn't the fast wheel chair thing ment to be in season 11. it was in the episode 1 preveiw but was never showen in season 11 but i'm probably wrong

WOW. Best Ever Episode. 1million out of 10. Perfect in every way.

:p To the fan boys!

Toyota chair. That was meant to be in the last series (I only know this cos I watched 11x1 today on Dave. So saw the preview film for S11 :lol: ) Boring. Very Tomorrows world which was also cack!

News. Good actually. Solid

Finland. Liked this. Mika is God. And is not prententious enough to let the Jackie Stewart 3 times line get to him.

V8 blender. Had filler written all over it. Only saved by James' reaction. But I dont want to see this crap on TG.

Guest. I dont dislike Marky Mark. But I hate to see Yanks on SIARPC. So didnt watch this bit. Clarkson tried to gloss over it but "I'll ask you about the film if I can" Yes, why not JC. Its only because Jonathon Ross isnt on at the moment you get him on TG. He's there to plug the film.

Avant Garde. Theres something definetly wrong with the Stig. Slower with better brakes? A service doesnt liberate 50 odd Hp either. it'll help but not that much! 1st figure was ATW. 2nd was Flywheel to exagerate the improvement. They should of had better guidance on where to spend the money though. Could of easily beaten the Evo with the right things. Liked the segment though.

Overall 7/10 Let down by Toyota, SIARPC and particularly the Blender. Id of rather seen Cool Wall.

Thoroughly enjoyed it this week, with only the film clip from SIARPC being irksome. Loved the blender!

They had over ?9000 to spend tuning a car, and they did the brakes and suspension!!!! Where were the 1000hp turbos etc!!
Not very top gear! But then top gear isnt very top gear anymore :(

Actually, I had ?2k of suspension mods on my otherwise standard 260bhp Impreza, and mates with 400-500bhp could not keep up with me either on track or on the road, unless there were big straights where their power could be used. Mind you, not many of them can keep up with me now either, even though I now drive a diesel Skoda :lol: