[12x03] Ratings

upyourego

Car(s)
Learning to drive
Ok so here are the ratings for episode three and the headline is pretty much steady as she goes - slightly down on the last two weeks but good against such strong competition from BBC One (Strictly Come Dancing and Antiques Roadshow).

The lads kept their numbers more or less the same as last week with an average of 6.5 million and a share of 22.6%.

The episode reached a peak of 7million (23.8% share) and came second in its timeslot.

The timeslot winner was the Strictly Come Dancing results show with 9.5 million and a 32.8% share and third was Heartbeat with 4.7 million (16.6% share).

Overall Top Gear came fourth:

Antiques Roadshow (10.1 million) BBC One
Strictly Come Dancing (9.5 million) BBC One
I'm a Celebrity Get me out of here (8.9 million) ITV1
Top Gear (6.5 million) BBC Two
Stephen Fry in America (6.2 million) BBC One

It was the most watched show on BBC Two (as always) with Dragon's Den coming in second place with 2.4 million.

I still can't believe they put TopGear up against SCD. First of all, this must have been causing massive rows in many households in the past three weeks ;) and secondly, why would the BBC put their two best watched shows on at the same time?

I still can't believe they put TopGear up against SCD. [...] why would the BBC put their two best watched shows on at the same time?
They don't. Eastenders, Doctor Who and, yes, Antiques Roadshow are all above both in the year-to-date table. (And Children in Need, New Tricks, The Apprentice, football, tennis, Casualty, Ashes to Ashes and one of the lottery quizzes are below SCD, but above TG's best this year).

They don't count all the people who watch it off the web though. Through torrents, youtube, or other sites.

They don't count all the people who watch it off the web though. Through torrents, youtube, or other sites.

Thank god for the internet! Theyre barely showing season 8 on BBC America here in the states.

That many people watch antiques roadshow? I'm stunned.
It's been going for years and still has tons of viewers. Of course, some will be pensioners, and others will be watching to see one of those pensioners bring in their "priceless" antique vase to find that it's worth 75p and a packet of Rolos...

And then there those that are watching just to see Fiona Bruce.

Also this weeks Antiques Roadshow had a lot of pre-airing publicity due to the first million pound valuation on the show.

Normally it gets about 7/8 million.

Top Gear is by a VERY LONG WAY the most watched show on BBC Two and really, in terms of ratings for the BBC that is all that matters - it just has to hold its own against other BBC Two shows and it easily does that.

If it moved to BBC One it would be expected to up the ratings to about 7 million a week but on BBC Two it would still be doing well if it dropped to 4 million.

Also - this doesn't include internet viewings but it does include timeshifting (sky+, PVR, Video, DVDR etc...).

It was also top of the iPlayer most watched list which will be a million+ views.

The only figures that matter/count are those in the UK because it is funded by the licence fee BUT international views will be looked at by BBC Worldwide as a way of working out market impact and potential for sales.

Also this weeks Antiques Roadshow had a lot of pre-airing publicity due to the first million pound valuation on the show.

Taking that and John Sergeant's supposed voluntary withdrawal from Strictly I'm quite curious as to what effect if any that might have on next Sunday's figures. It would need to show percentages as well of course.