[12x04] November 23rd, 2008

[12x04] November 23rd, 2008

• Total voters
Gave it a 9/10, thought the photography that they used on James Zonda F segment was some of the best we have seen (to date).

Would love to know what damage was done to the Zonda as it looked like it was still burning oil faster than Saddam.

Gave it a 9.

Btw, did anyone else notice the dent on the Veyron passenger side door sill/skirt thing?

Here is a picture I've provided:
http://img377.imageshack.**/img377/1584/veyrondentjj8.png

Seems like the Top Gear crew did go all out with it, I mean that is definately a dent :)

or they did go all out on the first lap, got a dent, decided that was all pushing for today.

This was the most utterly epic episode of Top Gear... *exactly the right pause* in the world!

It just had everything one wants. An epic race, which might not have been the most exciting but nevertheless was very good; a nice car review; a very good SIARPC segment, which is a rare thing; and the Veyron lapping the track.

Quite a few elements for a change there, with James making the power part and Hammond being right about the Zonda being faster than the Veyron; and I think that change was bang-on, made the "conventional" show form, that some might find a bit boring over time, more "lively" and enjoyable.

A 10/10 from me for this one. Half a series done now, and I don't know what to expect from the rest; 'cause if they manage to keep on like in the episode tonight, this just may be the best TG series of them all.

In the world.

What could have caused that very sharp edged very deep dent though that didn't just rip off the body work?
Would have had to spin out of control and hit something that's only as high as that dent sideways and then buckled after impact.

or they did go all out on the first lap, got a dent, decided that was all pushing for today.

Not sure what you could get a dent like that from on the track though. There's only a tyre wall to hit and I reckon you'd do more damage than that.
Richard probably opened his car door against it ;)

Cool Episode (9/10)

Review was ok, but too statistic not interested in numbers... Your not a radio Programm! Show how it drives! And it wasn't Jamesish missed the poetrie.

Challange: Sounded boring, was a big laugh wanted Jeremy to win it, but you can't alway win.

Sircap scipt most of it, as always (@TG it has been long enough find something new pls)

Powerlap: Very cool. Wanted the Veyron to be fastest, but objective i new it wouldn't but i missed the smoking tyres so it maybee able to do more.
@Bugatti (or VW) give them a other one to do it better oder better build a Trackversion (if you do that don't forgett to design new headlamps (the only part at this car that dosn't look cool (they look extreamly cheap like from a normal productioncar (wich they probably are)))

Absolutely brilliant test of the Zonda by James.
The eco driving race was great, allthough the cocking about and rivalry seemed to be toned down from earlier races. Still very enjoyable.
Surprised to see the Jag do so well.
Whatever they do with dieselpowered cars wont make me buy a car with a tractorengine, I think (Even tho I must say, the Audi A5 3.0 TDI is brilliant. Kind of want it. Ahh I'm not sure, time will tell. Looking to buy a new car next year :) ).

This episode gets a 9/10. On the basis of James=God, to give a perfect 10/10 we'd need even more James! :james:

Oh I forgot; Very nice girls in the audience tonight :thumbup:

Last edited:
Braces for a whole raft of negative rep but, deep breath, here goes...

OK, so it's been one of those Sundays, Mrs Hersworksfinetoo got woken by littlest at 4am which meant I had to do the kids breakfast and missed my lie-in (we do that - she gets Saturday, I get Sunday) and then the younger two kept squabbling all day and Junior found the toy section in the new Argos catalogue I picked up yesterday to comb for Christmas ideas and spent the WHOLE day giving it "I want...." which is guaranteed to piss me off and my first ever canneloni was hugely disappointing (think James May style OCD but in the kitchen - that's me) so I was really looking forward to my TG fix more than usual but at 9 o'clock I was gutted.

I loved the Captain Slow take on the power test - more of him doing that please and the gag with the Stig in James' jumper was a neat touch. Kind of knew in my heart of hearts the Veyron wasn't going to top the board but it and the Zonda make such terrific noises it was a good piece nonetheless.

News - first time in ages if not ever I didn't enjoy this part. Recycling stuff that's previously featured in News Uncut is always disappointing. I'm not accusing them of running out of ideas but if it wasn't good enough first time around ........know what I'm saying? Even the "wearing that for a bet" gag which I've really enjoyed so far this series fell flat and judging by the (lack of) audience reaction I'm not alone.

SIARPC? I never could abide Harry Enfield (1x01 is the only episode of new TG I've never seen - can't remember why I missed it.) but they've had a number of guests whose appearance has made me view them in a different light. The guy is only famous because of Paul Whitehouse's talent IMHO and tonight only reinforced that view for me.

Basle to Blackpool Challenge. Gutted! I have been really looking forward to this for a long time and the end result was a real let-down. I got the impression their hearts weren't really in it. I realise that the very nature of the task wasn't going to make for great TV, but I was expecting some running gag or some constant pisstaking or some 'phone games they invented between them to pass the time or something. Even something to the effect that the producers came up with the idea when oil was $150 a barrel and now it's dropped to $50 dollars it's kind of irrelevant but we're going to show you anyway kind of thing but.........nothing.

I said in another thread regarding episode polls that I vote on how I feel after each show rather than give an objective mark comparing it to the rest of the Top Gear canon, and it's probably the same here for some of the reasons above, but while I have no intention of going down the "worst episode ever" route this isn't one I'll be watching again in a hurry.

As anyone who has ever done a graph of results from an experiment will know, one result off the curve is simply an anomaly. 12x04 for me was just that. Doesn't change my view of the whole thing 'though.

3/10 A dirty test tube........

.......but eagerly counting down to next Sunday.

Liked the episode, it wasn't flashy or clowneske in any way. The 2 firsts (May on the track and the Veyron) was great, I liked the race even more as it was entertaining, funny and actually informative. The news was ok but Harry Enfield was a bit boring, I expected a bit more.

The Veyron not blitzing the board was a bit of a 'meh' moment but yeah, it's quite heavy. ONE thing that got to me though; Jezza 'stealing' May's (rightful?) introduction to the Veyron on the track, since James had been driving.

score; 8

Rumours on other forums, the owner of the Veyron told TG to take it easy.

Well, that would certainly explain why it was so slow - well, slow for a Veyron anyway. I watched the lap thinking "surely that can't be all"...

:(

So that prediction somebody made about veyron time was properly accurate.The Veyron is like Fidel Castro, lotta power but fat;)

Overall good episode, with a predictable result in the fuel economy race. They made it more dramatic, than it needed to be. I know from firsthand experience that the combination of a big fuel tank and a big Diesel engine is practically unbeatable on long distance runs.

In August I did 900 km (ca. 560 miles) in a Mercedes S320 CDI and had 18 liters left in the tank after refilling, which means I would have been able to drive it for another 200 km and that means I could have done 683 miles in it, if I had ignored the tank reserve warning. The important part, however, is that I was not even trying to drive slowly or economically. As a matter of fact, half of the time I was driving pedal to the metal, which means up to 250 km/h on the German Autobahn, doing kickdowns most of the time.

But let's not forget that the Polo was the most economical by far, even though it is much more stressy to make the distance with a small car.

A bit disappointed about the Veyron lap. I cannot get rid of the feeling that the Stig held back a bit (surely the car was privately owned). Not that it matters, though. They Veyron is still the fastest under real life conditions with an average driver.

Last edited:
One thought - perhaps the owner took on the persona of the Stig? Been done before I think. May explain the lacklustre performance.

Wasn't the switching on of the Blackpool Lights reported earlier this year? I remember reading it and noticing that James wasn't there, which made me wonder why, so it did make the result a bit predictable, but still a good race nonetheless.

I'm going against the tide because I like Harry Enfield and thought he came across as very funny and likeable. I love his Clarkson Island sketch, and the Dragon's Den spoofs as well.