[12x04] November 23rd, 2008

[12x04] November 23rd, 2008

• Total voters
I thought the episode was pretty good. I don't think it's a 10, nor lower than a 7. It seemed to be over really quick.

The download was blistering fast this week. I hit 508 kb/s at one point. All done in less than 1 hour. Not expected at all.

Is this some sort of a joke. It took a while before I realised I'd seen it on the internet.

Nope... they "recycled" cut news in the last seasons, too... things they cut for time or maybe even things they deemed unfunny but which then drew a good reaction on the internet... anyways, i guess they do recycle news items since season one - we only didn't notice without "news uncut" on the website ;)

And, frankly, i don't mind. If the joke works, why not use it on air a week later...

did anyone else notice the dent in the side of the veyron? :p

5/10

Just didn't like it, the MPG was just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too boring, making Kool-aid kept my attention more than that challenge. If they Veyron didn't do a lap there would (for me) be nothing to remember this episode by. I usually fall asleep to top gear (have to have the TV on) on sundays, but tonight it's going to have to be something different. Take out the Veyron and I give it a 3.

Not sure what to rate this one. James' power test was pretty great, but then the news wasn't especially good and Harry Enfield just seemed to drag on and on and on.

So then you've got the economy run, which I'm not sure if I liked or not. Parts of it were fantastic - namely Jeremy's effort to use as much fuel as possible - but it sort of turned ordinary at the end.

I'll rate it later, no idea what I think of it yet.

Good episode I give it a 9.

I REALLY think that May should test more cars out on the track..he gives really sensible reviews, but is definitely lacking on the driving skill. Given a little more practice, I think he'd be superb.

I'm with Hammond on this one, I also prefer the Zonda to the Veyron. For me the Veyron has one huge flaw - the sound, it's just noise. And I don't like how it looks. Jeremy is right, the Zonda sounds like an F1 car.
James (and Stig) made a very good review, and the economy race was entertaining, it beats the A8 4.0 TDI, but is far from the proper three way race king - Zonda vs. GT vs. F430.

One thought - perhaps the owner took on the persona of the Stig? Been done before I think. May explain the lacklustre performance.

I highly doubt the owner of the Veyron could have managed that time. The car does weigh quite a bit, but it was only .7 seconds slower than the CCX which weighs ~1500lbs less and is only down by 100hp.

I gave it a 9.

Liked it as an allrounder but didn't like some details:

James introducing Stig.

SIARPC seemed a bit boring really.

And I think the Veyron went round all out, got some of those airplane lights into the side skirt and from then on they went up with the ESP on. I remember when Tiff took it off in Fifth gear and it slid the back and made him have a good time, now it seemed like a bore for the Stig. Don't think it can win with it off, but still i believe under 1.18 is possible easily.

Just re-watched it on iPlayer as my first viewing was interrupted by w*rk (I always watch it at w*rk as I do a weekly Sunday nightshift) and I found it an average show.

James in the Pagani and Bugatti was refreshingly good with some superb camerawork, editing and direction. They were on an 8 at this point.

The news was clumsy and disjointed, and as others have reported that they used recycled material you have to wonder if it was a last minute 'oops, we forgot to shoot it' or 'we can't be bothered any more'. Drops it to a 5.

The challenge I enjoyed. The format is obviously recycled, as was the content (JC in the Audi A8) but it was what they are good at. Nowhere near the best challenges/races, but still funny in places and entertaining throughout. Back up to a 7.

SIARPC was dull. Guests coming back on doesn't make for good viewing in a segment which is already heavily criticized for being past its sell by date. Regardless of what people think of Enfield (he was funny 18 years ago) he wasn't a brilliant guest first time 'round and his reason for needing another go was weak. Down to a 5.

The power laps were nothing surprising. Having seen Tiff drive a Veyron on track I knew it wasn't going to set the TG track alight. A proper race-track (Silverstone, Monza, even Oulton) would have yielded a different result no doubt, allowing the heavy car to stretch it's legs more. Up to a 6.

Looking back over the whole episode, I'd have re-written and re-shot the news, trimming a minute or so out. Cull another 5-7 minutes out of the challenge and 2-3 from the SIARPC and they could have squeezed in another car review. That might get it up to a 7 for me, but as it was, SIX. Not a bad episode, but nowhere near their best work.

Gave it a 9

As usual, wasn't thrilled with SIARPC.

James doing a power test! :w00t: I've always appreciated James' intellectual/methodical angle on things despite the ribbing he gets from Clarkson and Hammond over it.

More power tests for James! :thumbsup:

As for the Veyron, I was disappointed but not surprised. It was never meant to be a car for the track, so the result shouldn't have shocked anyone who is informed on the matter.

Last edited:
WORST . EPISODE. EVER. I give it a .001 out of 10.000.

Wake up, people! The Bush BBC administration has lied to you.

Am I missing a joke? :offtopic:

Good episode, loved the Zonda review.

Was sad when the Veyron got 5th place, oh well at least it showed how fast it is against the Zonda in a drag race.

Gave it a high 8. Good solid episode.

Well, that would certainly explain why it was so slow - well, slow for a Veyron anyway. I watched the lap thinking "surely that can't be all"...

:(

I can't say I'm surprised - remember, they discovered the Veyron's stability problems *very* late in development and instead of providing a proper fix in the form of a longer wheelbase, they simply altered the electronic stability controls to deny the car the ability to get anywhere close to the point where it spins. If you listen carefully, the Veyron pulls some of the throttle off on the followthrough and on the exit from Chicago. That's not Stig doing it, that sounds like the computer doing it.

Oh, and to all you people who thought the Veyron was going to be a lot faster and that I was wrong - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHA

The only reason the Veyron was as fast as it was was because it made up time in the straights... but it doesn't handle, so basically VW has made a really expensive classic American muscle car!

Of course, we all know that Top Gear is more entertainment show than motor show now, but most of us are fine with that. So am I! But at the same time, one can tell that they haven't got it quite down yet.

The best example yet is the race to turn on the lights. When Clarkson decreed that he'd go all-out with all the electricals on in the big fuel-drinking Jag from Basel, Switzerland to Blackpool, did any single person on this forum have any doubt that Clarkson would make it there? Was there even a fragment of doubt in any of your minds?

Come on, Top Gear guys! Be a bit less predictable about your blatant abandon of the documentary format!

I think this is the best episode of Top Gear this series. I gave it 10/10. Loved the Zonda F test by May. I love it when people other then Clarkson do track tests.

The race was excellent as well. I am amazed Clarkson made it. Loved this episode

Of course, we all know that Top Gear is more entertainment show than motor show now, but most of us are fine with that. So am I! But at the same time, one can tell that they haven't got it quite down yet.

The best example yet is the race to turn on the lights. When Clarkson decreed that he'd go all-out with all the electricals on in the big fuel-drinking Jag from Basel, Switzerland to Blackpool, did any single person on this forum have any doubt that Clarkson would make it there? Was there even a fragment of doubt in any of your minds?

Come on, Top Gear guys! Be a bit less predictable about your blatant abandon of the documentary format!

Not for me. For a British/European car, big Jag sedans have always been peculiarly geared towards an American style long-range cruiser in terms of their range. I can get about 600 highway miles to a 23 gallon tank in my XJR, my XJ6 can do about the same on its twin 13 gallon tanks - and that's not driving slow; fast but not frantic, if you know what I mean. What with the instant 30%+ boost in range by converting to a diesel, I wasn't too worried that Clarkson would get there. Thing is, if you're doing highway cruising with most Jag XJs at steady state throttle, they get surprisingly good mileage - better than the EPA test would seem to indicate. I am certain, however, that Clarkson actually thought he *wouldn't* make it because the numbers on paper just don't add up.

I'll put it to you this way. My XJ6's original rating was 15 city, 19 highway. I routinely got 22-24 out of mine on a 70mph highway cruise if I keep a steady state throttle. :D With the new 4 speed + overdrive transmission going in, I expect 28-30mpg. The math works out to about that, anyway.

And I think the Veyron went round all out, got some of those airplane lights into the side skirt and from then on they went up with the ESP on. I remember when Tiff took it off in Fifth gear and it slid the back and made him have a good time, now it seemed like a bore for the Stig. Don't think it can win with it off, but still i believe under 1.18 is possible easily.

The Veyron is unstable as all hell. Turn the ESP off and it WILL spin, earlier than most cars. It needs about another 30cm on the wheelbase, at the least.

Last edited: