[12x04] November 23rd, 2008

[12x04] November 23rd, 2008

• Total voters
Every EU country has some speciality to rip off tourists... here in germany it's the first aid kit (works great with locals, too, as most of the content has to be replaced every X years so if you got one they start checking the age of its contents...) in italy or spain (or both?) you have to have two warning triangles and as this is "safety relevant" the fine is over 100 Euros...

That's true. In Bulgaria we have the same law about the high visibility jacket in the car. And about the first aid kit as well.

Very much enjoyed that episode and I think it is far better than some of the more recent ones that's for sure. They actually made a program about cars for once which made a nice change from irrelevent trucks, tractors, what have you. James doing the supercar test was a great idea and it was nice to see a bit more variation with him doing the test other than Jeremy and Richard. I dont think he was as good as Jeremy but the Stig gag was a nice touch. The news was a bit dull, but if you look past Jezza's shoulder you find the reason why I wasn't all that interested in the news, if I'm honest!

I thoroughly enjoyed the race; it was something a bit different from the usual public transport vs car that we all know will be won by Jeremy. Strangely I was actually hoping the Jag would win. I've never really liked that model before, but seeing it there really brought home what a good looking car it is. Subaru Liber...sorry, Legacy's are also very nice indeed. Not sold on the Golf though, but then I'm not really a fan of small cars like that. Stig gags excellent as ever and the music and cinematography was top notch, as ever. Can't imagine why anyone would ever want a Prius when you have proper cars that can achieve the same target.

The SIARPC let the episode down a bit, and I'm no big fan of Zonda's either. I think they're ugly actually. Makes a lovely noise though. The Bugatti Veyron's time was to be expected really.

So 9/10, certainly one for future viewing, unlike some of the recent episodes.

I don't think it would've made sense to use the A8 in the challenge, since it's already been featured and the Jag is more, well, Jezza-ish.

Quite late, but I'll add my tuppence worth.
Great ep, economy run was amusing yet factual, not boring in the slightest.
Seeing Enfield was interesting, and clarkson island, what more can be said!
Star of the show was :may: in the Zonda. That was seriously seven shades of awesome, along with the noise:jawdrop:!
Extremely unsurprised that the Bug was a bit slow, even though it set off like a bullet from the line. I'd say that James (sorry, Stig :p) was taking it a bit easy.
Overall 9, not a 10 because it needed a bit more Zonda and maybe a tad less guest/econo-run

[...]Every EU country has some speciality to rip off tourists... here in germany it's the first aid kit (works great with locals, too, as most of the content has to be replaced every X years so if you got one they start checking the age of its contents...) in italy or spain (or both?) you have to have two warning triangles and as this is "safety relevant" the fine is over 100 Euros...
... you have to inform yourself about the laws of other countries before you go there. That?s basic common sense. Can?t go to Great Britan and drive on the right side of the road at 150mph and go "oh sorry, didn?t know, that?s different where I?m from" ... same with stuff like that.

I would say ... this would be one of the cases where the EU could make a usefull law about what saftey stuff is mandatory in every EU-country, so you don?t mess it up. That?s one EU-regulation not many people would object to.

And on a sidenote , we germans are the nightmare at this stuff for our european neighbours... a Car (truck, bike) that doesn?t pass german saftey standard, isn?t allowed to drive on public roads in germany at all ...
If Police catch you driving in germany with a car that is sub-german saftey-standard ... they can forcefully decommission it untill it?s up to standard. Especially our eastern neighbours (and the neatherlanders with caravans) struggle quite a lot with that.

The Episode ... great fun, after last weeks weak one a really good one again.

Can?t really say or find anything negative about this one. It?s quite funny how TopGear can turn something like an Eco-challange that doesn?t sound so great from the start, into something very entertaining (and informative).

I just wished James or Hamster would have had to drive a Prius ... so we could watch it not even making it to the Eurotunnel on one tank :mrgreen: Stupid-non-green-non-eco-uglymobile.

Liked James Powertest, the news weren?t that bad ... 9/10

With all the trucks in the states going 70+ mph
There is (in parts) your answer ... Speed Limit for Trucks and Lorries is 80km/h (that?s 50mph) in Europe ...

The other reason is of course, that it?s illegal and if the TG-hosts were shown doing it, they wouldn?t only be in trouble with the BBC, they?d get fined and points on their licenses as well. Maybe they even did it, but they?d be pretty stupid showing it on Tv.

and by the way
in the US we have a show called mythbusters
... wich is rather popular over here as well ...[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qLMKR3bVbY[/YOUTUBE];)

Last edited:
Maybe they even did it, but they?d be pretty stupid showing it on Tv.

It would be pretty difficult to fit a camera car in between the truck and the car, too ;)

I thought it was a really good, solid episode.
Loved James's review.
Loved the Bugatti thrashing the Zonda in the drag race.
Can't say I was surprised about the lap, but not really disappointed.
The Veyron is also a luxury car, so you can't have it all, I expect.
Liked the race very much.
I don't consider myself a provincial American, but can't say I'm that familiar with Harry Enfield, so wasn't blown away by SIARPC.
News was pretty good, but not "pants peeingly funny".
I voted a point or two off this episode because I really liked it, but didn't find myself laughing my ass off even once - though I smiled the whole way through.:D

My mood influenced my vote
I had a really bad weekend but this was an awesome awesome awesome ep! :D
I thought that the eco race was going to be boring as hell but I loved it :D The big engine Jag made it! and James?s sense of direction didn?t change a bit :cool:
James really does inovate, from the classic Jeremy?s and Richard?s reviews 5*
The SIARPC was good

why didn't anyone just draft behind the trucks? in the US we have a show called mythbusters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(season_5)#Drafting_For_Money
that showed the benefits of drafting. With all the trucks in the states going 70+ mph you'd save a good amount, especially uphill. I would've drafted then stepped on it...
i mean 20% is a good 120 more miles easily with those vehicles

Mythbusters is usually shown over here as well on the Discovery Channel. if i'm not watching Dave that's usually the other channel i watch. strangely enough at work years and years ago. someone was telling me about Top Gear and the antics they get up to. i didn't watch Top Gear at the time so all i said was "sounds a bit like Mythbusters." only now do i realise just how wrong i was...

I was bored. Youtube.com. hmmm search Clarkson Island, "Cam't be there?" OMG.

It is there for every1 to warch..................in the world.

I was bored. Youtube.com. hmmm search Clarkson Island, "Cam't be there?" OMG.

It is there for every1 to warch..................in the world.

There's a thread somewhere on here about it. It was started a few months back.

James in a supercar! :eek: : Totally hilarious, totally awesome. 10/10
News: Also hilarious 9/10
Challenge: Was a bit dull at the start (of course, it kind of had to be since it was an eco run), but picked up so much more at the end. I even had butterflies :eek: - 8.5/10
SIARPC: Pretty funny :) - 9/10
Power board: Epic. 10/10

Overall: 9/10

This and the American special are now my favs of this season.