[12x06] December 7th, 2008

[12x06] December 7th, 2008

• Total voters
Epic episode. 10/10.

That Caterham was seriously moving on the track ... I was watching the Stig lap and just knew it would be quick, and it looks absolutely awesome. Could see Stiggy was really working for his dollar that day!

The Commie cars - great segment. The Marina guys need to grow up - he sold it on eBay, he can't dictate what any prospective buyer does with a car. He was obviously happy with the money so end of story.

The Fiesta review - awesome. The shopping centre chase was great - and I was laughing like an idiot when I saw it on that landing ship! Throw in the marines jumping into it, the grenades in the cupholders and then the enormous bow wave "deeper than I thought" ... I was crying with tears. Great review! Amazed it kept running!

I thougt I would give it 3 points, but that Fiesta review only was worth 6 poits, so I gave it 9.
That Fiesta/Vette chase in the shoping center was the next best thing I have ever seen on TG after the Veyron/Eurofighter race!

:D

This was an episode unlike anything I've seen before on TG...The Ford Fiesta review was priceless...but being a typical woman, all I could think about was how they were going to clean the tyre marks from the floor of the shopping centre! Amazing, I don't know how they got permission to do that, but it was incredible. Fantastic review, Jezza - well done.

James and Jeremy with the communist cars was very funny, I got pleasant reminders of the polar adventure...the two boys driving together. Lovely!

Richard and the Caterham....wow. So incredibly FAST!! He looked the part but mate, the vest three times in this series? I know the girls are going crazy for it, but too much of a good thing can be too much. Bring it back at the last episode for a treat, eh?

Shouldn't have sold it then.

Its a crap car and Top Gear are interested in buying it. It doesn't take a genius to work out what is going to happen next.

Bottom line is: you don't want anything to happen to something you own, don't sell it.

I mean come on, what was owner of Marina thinking when he sold his beloved car to the top gear team ?
That it will become next Reasonably Priced Car :rofl: Its obvious that top gear team hates whole company of British Leyland, and Marina was previously destroyed by JC in his top100 cars of the century video ( in company of Austin Allegro :bangin:) so it wasnt hard to predict Marina's future. And you can feel sorry about a car being destroyed if its a Ferrari or Porsche, but come on Morris ?

From what I read on that thread, the seller acted as if he was another interested collector, which is pretty devious if you ask me. Of course, nobody's going to tell them straight up, "I'm from Top Gear and I'm going to destroy your pride and joy," but it's a pretty shady transaction. The Triumph guys had the same problem with the Dolomite in the BL episode, apparently.

Edit: never mind, the guy sold it on eBay. So fuck it, he gets whatever comes to him.

Last edited:
good episode, i liked it. clarkson`s voice was funny.
russian cars was fun, i live in country next to russia, and we have still some of those freaking rustbuckets (especially lada,) in traffic, they are somewhat reliable but ugly, so if you live in country were you dont have them consider yourself lucky. they are hidious vehicles, they should`we burn that lada too..

Well I love Polonez, so I didn`t like that they destroyed it. However Fiesta review was great and the race vs Vette was epic.

9/10. Best of the series so far but I'm giving them some headway in the event they come up with an even better episode :D

What surprised me about this episode was that it was "deceptively funny". The humour in the commie-car segment was brilliantly deadpan and hits you suddenly. Jeremy's face being picked on in the news and also when explaining the cost of the Festiva was priceless!

The TGA team could really learn something from this episode: It's all in the delivery.

Imho the best episode of the series so far, but I'm hoping also for the Vietnam part... Throughout the episode there were bits that made me laugh out loud.

I loved "The Russians are to making cars, what the Germans are to making... love.", even though or maybe because I'm German. :D

But what the hell was the shopping mall bit about? How on earth could they get permission to drive there??

Wonderful Episode... I'm off now to watch it again :mrgreen:

Cheers

I gave it an 8,

Caterham was glorious...

Couldn't remember where I'd seen the Veritas before, then I remembered it is straight out of Speed Racer.

News was funnier than normal as was SIARPC.

Commie cars dragged on a bit and was really pointless as everything was over 30 years old, but at least they tried.

Fiesta, watched it a few times just to let it all sink in.

Did anyone else notice how fast the crew move out of the way when the Corvette goes into the stall towards the end.
Also I was surprised the Fiesta kept going under all that bow-wave.
Smoke grenade holders, that will be useful if they eventually export the car to more strife ridden countries than ours.

A PROPER FULL road test :)

Definitely it was the best "non-special" episode ever. 10, 10, 10...
They should do more reviews of sensible cars :)

Last edited:
Car Review RH: Caterham R500 vs. Veritas

Good yet again to see RH doing the power tests. The Caterham was really, really impressive and what a lap time! It was faster than the Veyron, and only a little shy of the Apollo?s (Gumpert) time. The Caterham is a truly bonkers little car and great value at ?36k. It made the Veritas look slow by comparison, but it is still a quick car. I kind of liked the art deco looks of the Veritas, but at c.?250k with less than great handling I don?t think it?s a winner.
Very good segment.

Car Review JC: Ford Fiesta

This had everything, a very subtle mocking of the old style car review; which moved into a excellent car chase worthy of an action film, followed the Royal Marines beach assault that looked like a D-Day movie.
Brilliant, brilliant segment ? well done TG team, yet again, how do you think this stuff up and execute it so well?

Challenge: Could Communistical countries build cars?

JM & JC do car review of the cars from the communist era of 1970?s and 80?s.
This was really funny again with lots of clever verbal and visual jokes. The race around the US air base in the two cars was really funny. (JM gets punted off the track ? JC: Oh, I seemed to have killed James May, ?anyway .).
Drag Race: Ford Cortina 1600E vs. Dog vs. Lada vs. Moskvich ?
Dog gets a 2nd place ? comedy genius!
Very good segment.

SIARPC: Boris Johnston

Our glorious leader here in London! Well good on him for being a sport and giving it a go. He is a very atypical politician and a change from the usual professional chiselers. Very funny interview which I enjoyed a lot, subjects covered included Bendy buses, economical driving by changing gear early except in a F430, 2012 Olympics will be rubbish. Etc. Crap weather, poor time - who cares, it?s Boris!
Very good segment.

News: Heat Magazine, WCOTY 2008. JC with no voice, etc
Good segment.

Overall, a very, very good episode ? 9/10

How on earth could they get permission to drive there??

Because they are Top Gear and Basingstoke is well, just Basingstoke!:)

Boris was hilarious (see avatar)! :D
I'm looking forward to see a Clarkson inspired opening of the Olympics (I really do hope he meant it!) ;)

Also, Jeremy being forced to be more or less silent is as priceless as it is unusual. I almost felt sorry for him when he put on that poor little puppy face while looking into the camera :D

Awesome episode with only few flaws, a rock solid 9/10.

Boris was hilarious (see avatar)! :D
I'm looking forward to see a Clarkson inspired opening of the Olympics (I really do hope he meant it!) ;)

Also, Jeremy being forced to be more or less silent is as priceless as it is unusual. I almost felt sorry for him when he put on that poor little puppy face while looking into the camera :D

Awesome episode with only few flaws, a rock solid 9/10.

Damn, I was meaning to do that, you beat me to it.

It's been a long time since I laughed as hard as I have at this ep. Great from beginning to end. Even watched the SIARPC part :)

But the Fiesta part...facking brilliant!!!
Even showed to my friends at work today who wnated to watch it again and again!!!
The production was incredible.
Awesome job Team TG for that, I'm sure there were a bunch of hoops to jump through in order to pull that off.
Instant Classic Episode.
Thanks Again
Biz

Shouldn't have sold it then.

Its a crap car and Top Gear are interested in buying it. It doesn't take a genius to work out what is going to happen next.

Bottom line is: you don't want anything to happen to something you own, don't sell it.

Not arguing with you. He sold it, they bought it, its theirs to do with as they wish.

But TopGear did do a British Layland cheap car challenge once before. The cars they bought were 100x worse then the Morris Marina they bought for this episode. But none of the cars on the cheap car challenge were that badly damaged. They were all still running and everything at the end. Yet this Marina was completely, totally, utterly destroyed. They smashed every body panel. And then they set the rest on fire, to add insult to injury.

I just feel sorry for the owner, because he didn't sound very knowledgeable about the show. After everyone started telling him the car is as good as dead, he tried to ensure it wouldn't be harmed. The BBC lied to him. I get the distinct impression that if the BBC guys were honest, he might not have sold the car to them at all. But of course, I don't know what the terms are for refusing a sale on eBay.