[12x06] December 7th, 2008

[12x06] December 7th, 2008

• Total voters
Caterham looked awesome to drive around the track. I feel the Communist part dragged on a bit too long, but it was all good. Fiesta review was very nice :p Comedy, Action, and Information all in one.

Top banana.

The two gems that stood out.

Great chemistry in the commie test race between Jezza and Slow as always. And remind me to get a dog for those pesky drag races...

What a final test! There have been blockbusting thrillers with less action than that beach raid. Smoke grenades in the cup holders, I'm a-going to get me some of those!

+1 on the burning-powersliding-jag-led-zep-Olympic-idea

lol just the "the carpets are excellent" comment in the middle of a fire fight just cracked me up big time... who does that!? lol

Liked the test between the Caterham, glad to see it came out FAR on top of the thingy-ma-whatsit.

Liked the Fiesta review, actually covered most good review points in a interesting way, D-Day style ending was brilliant.

Liked Boris, the complete nutter that he is.

Didn't like the Communist Car test, Destroyed a 30 yr old 35,000 mile car, to the point were the very hard to find panels and interior trim were destroyed, by setting it on fire.
Not even good for a spares car.

Wasn't that funny, and I doubt the GAZ-13s push button gears broke by accident, also the Lada would have put a much larger fight against the Ford Cortina.

Last edited:
After a poor start to the season, that was probably the best so far.

This is what TG can be. Informative, critical and most of all not formulaic. I hate watching it and seeing the joke before it's done. I hate when you hear Clarkson use the same catchphrases (I think it's Epic!, See what's what, etc) it makes it feels like they're just going through the motions.

Not a hint of it this time, and the show was much better for it.:cool:

9/10

Destroyed a 30 yr old 35,000 mile car, to the point were the very hard to find panels and interior trim were destroyed. Not even good for a spares car.

Which car? The Marina?

Last edited:
I didn't think they were still capable of something this good. This is as good as Top Gear ever was. And the amazing thing is, it's actually full of cars, including interesting car facts for the enthusiast, and yet the jokes are way funnier than those in the "cocking about" shows they've done. The communist piece was full of great oneliners, the news was funny, and the Fiesta segment was over-the-top brilliance. Nowhere else will you see a Fiesta racing a Corvette in a mall, that's for sure. And if you did see it elsewhere, it would be nowhere near as beautifully filmed.

10/10

With such great reviews, I can't wait! Come on torrent, 7 more minutes (which isn't bad considering I started it about 5 minutes ago.) :D

22:11 and only the second page... for the second week running?

Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway. Those of us who'd been paying attention to the wireless in midweek had already been well alerted of Jezza's voice-removal... although I'd somehow forgotten and thought "wait a minute, isn't that Hamster doing the 'on tonight's show' announcement?" before realising why that was. And well was the curly-headed thug mocked for it. And the Heat Weird Crush (though, curiously, no mention from the other two of their previous victories).

So, how many of you said the Gumpert Apollo was ugly? Hardly. It's a Kristin Scott Apollo in comparison to the Veritas. Which Jezza forgot to lambast for having the same name as Kilroy's former political vanity project. As for a Caterham you'd want to be seen in: they had one once, sort of. However, in the 13 years since it was launched, I have not seen a single Caterham 21 on the roads. Did they sell any?

Ford. Pushed the boat out with the MkI Focus in 1998. Lost the plot with its dreary replacement in 2004. Regained the plot with the latest Fiesta. I've seen one in the metal and had to look twice at it. I'm just hoping they make an ST, or an RS, or (better still) call it an XR2i.

Communist cars: so it didn't come out quite how I'd imagined, but that they featured these knackered old Stalinist rustbuckets at all is some small victory. Cue grumblings from vikirad and the rest of the Romanians that they didn't bother to wheel out an old Dacia, despite all the recent Sandero jokes. Remember also that the Zaporozhets (which Jezza couldn't pronounce) was so bad that Soviets mocked Zaporozhets owners for having a Zaporozhets in the same way that we mocked those who drove any eastern car. As for the Lada handling like a tank... I would say "ask my mum", except she's dead. She had a Lada 1300 - that's the predecessor to the Riva - after her almost-as-communist Mini Clubman burnt itself to death. I think she was pregnant with my brother at the time, which may have had something to do with him dropping into the world three weeks early.

Seeing the preview in 12x01, with a clip of the Marina vs. Lada battle, I'd thought that "The Stig's Communist Cousin" would have been tied into it. Now, I know that's all to do with the hour-long Vietnam special, which (I believe) is coming up next week...

...and was expertly predicted as an idea for series 11. Unfortunately, I can't claim that one for myself.

some asian special through vietnam, myanmar laos or something like that.

Bullseye.

Great episode!

As soon as the shopping centre came on I thought "Hmm.... that looks familiar". It was in Basingstoke, Hampshire. I wonder if some of the tyre marks are still there :D

G-man

I am downloading the episode now and hope to watch it when i get home as i think it would be a good episode

Just under 2 months until top gear live comes to Australia!!! Cant wait

:thumbsup:

Brilliant Episode 10 out of 10

Haven't laughed so much for ages, i was in tears at the communist car section, classic top gear in my opinion.

Fiesta test was epic, well done TG Team.

Brilliant episode. A 10/10 from me, I enjoyed every minute of it. Unfortunately I couldn't always understand what Boris was saying, his pronunciation is a bit difficult for a Dutch bloke like me :p

- Caterham/Veritas thing wasn't too bad actually. 30k car > 800k car
- News just felt like a mess tbh...
- The commie thing was really, really funny. Best bit about the episode. Hilarious stuff. :D
- Boris was great. Very down-to-earth type of guy.
- Had high hopes for the Fiesta "review", but it didn't really deliver. Nice car though.

That Fiesta test was silly. Properly silly. Silly in the way that makes me thoroughly proud to be British. Its the kind of silly that makes us vote a complete idiot like Boris into a position of authority.

Only us Brits can do silly like that.

*waves Union Jack proudly*

jeremy sprayed some mans spit into his mouth.

Am I the only one that thinks they need to make an F1 track through a shopping centre and up and down a multi-storey car park? Because that was tits.

Plissken

Land of hope and glory,
father of the free,
blah blah, blah, blaaaar,
Blaaarrr blee blee blee.

Oh and I liked the show - proper funny. 9/10 on the upward side of say a 9.3 actually.

Last edited: