[12x06] December 7th, 2008

[12x06] December 7th, 2008

• Total voters
Great episode.

The Caterham was insanely fast, I expected it to match the Veyron's time but damn!
I loved the Fiesta review, I couldn't wait for a regular car review like in the earlier seasons, I missed that.
The Corvette looked so cool in the shopping centre pursuit and I guess that's what american cars are excellent at!

I wish we had the Fiesta in Canada. That car would sell here. Instead, we get that stupid Ford-Microsoft Focus :(

We'll get the Fiesta in 2010, though I'm not entirely sure why we have to wait so long.

5/10

Nothing really grabbed my attention, except for driving through the mall. Something I've always wanted to do.

spoil sport

The Marina people are incredibly funny.

"lets write to bbc and say they arn't real car enthusiasts because they destroyed a marina."
"The BBC promised me they wouldn't destroy it."

Last edited:
Boris Johnson was the shit, Fiesta review was the shit, Caterham was... well, just another one of millions of crap day cars, but damn that shit was fast.
Communist thingy was too long, but based on the merits of Boris and the Fiesta, 10/10

Perfect segments. See how much fun boring old car reviews can be?

PS:That caterham tore some series ass. overhere it doesn't have the dorky shedman appeal, its more of a "oh wow, you imported a car from where"? type appeal, so i can't see too many good reasons not to get one, with the exception of suvs smashing into you.

Last edited:
Haven't watched it all yet - I'll wait for Beer O'Clock.

However, in checking 'the file' I saw one thing. How the HELL did they do that shot tracking around the Veritas that made the wheels look motionless!?

I can only assume they set the shutterspeed on the camera at EXACTLY the same speed as the rotation of the wheels.

Epic effect - well done.

:)

9/10

It would have been a 10 if they had used some the music from the Blues Brothers driving through the mall scene.

It could have used some more smashing of displays and windows. If you're gonna copy it, copy it right :)

The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year...

I'm not sure how much the Marina complainers are able to do. I'm certain that if there was any concrete agreement on paper that forbid the BBC from letting Top Gear destroy the Marina then they wouldn't have done it. A simple verbal assurance isn't sufficient and if they knew what Top Gear was they are foolish for thinking otherwise.

I'm not sure how much the Marina complainers are able to do. I'm certain that if there was any concrete agreement on paper that forbid the BBC from letting Top Gear destroy the Marina then they wouldn't have done it. A simple verbal assurance isn't sufficient and if they knew what Top Gear was they are foolish for thinking otherwise.

And they supposedly said it wouldn't be "smashed up", and that's pretty accurate. It was, however, crashed and set on fire, but it's his own fault for not asking about those two possibilities.

And they supposedly said it wouldn't be "smashed up", and that's pretty accurate. It was, however, crashed and set on fire, but it's his own fault for not asking about those two possibilities.

I was reading more on that Marina forum and can't stop laughing. :lol:

To be fair I don't understand the particular attraction they have to that car. If I was a big fan of the Marina I guess I would be upset as well. Though when I saw Clarkson present the Marina I knew it wasn't going to be good. I recall seeing him bash it during his Car Years series from 2000.

I'd give it a 3/10 as one of the worst episodes of Top Gear ever. The only highlight was the chase in the shopping mall.

What's the point of comparing some 30+ yrs old soviet cars with china nowadays? Just because china's a communist country, which actually isn't at all since 1978? That's coldwar logics. They tested none of a modern chinese car and simply said "don't buy it". So far as I know, there ain't so many choices if you want to buy a chinese car in Top Gear's western modern anti-communists country. The chinese cars are not brilliantly built indeed, but making a conclusion by testing soviet cars is just illogical.

If they really tested a single chinese car in the show and it's proved even more rubbish than a korean car, I wouldn't complain anything.

Top Gear has an estimated number of 10 million fans in china and we honestly don't understand the idea behind today's episode. Complaints coming soon to the BBC.

I'd give it a 3/10 as one of the worst episodes of Top Gear ever. The only highlight was the chase in the shopping mall.

What's the point of comparing some 30+ yrs old soviet cars with china nowadays? Just because china's a communist country, which actually isn't at all since 1978? That's coldwar logics. They tested none of a modern chinese car and simply said "don't buy it". So far as I know, there ain't so many choices if you want to buy a chinese car in Top Gear's western modern anti-communists country. The chinese cars are not brilliantly built indeed, but making a conclusion by testing soviet cars is just illogical.

If they really tested a single chinese car in the show and it's proved even more rubbish than a korean car, I wouldn't complain anything.

Top Gear has an estimated number of 10 million fans in china and we honestly don't understand the idea behind today's episode. Complaints coming soon to the BBC.

Big fucking deal. Watch any of the last 100 episodes. They make fun of Germans and Americans for no reason, and you don't see me complaining. That's just the way Top Gear is.

You're making the very fundamental and basic mistake of taking Top Gear seriously. It's quite saddening, bordering on sickening, of how touchy people can be when confronted with Top Gear. If you think a TV show is going to have any long-term effect on a consumer product that its own merits don't already, you're really paranoid.

8.5/10

Good, but still lacked something to be that 10/10 that I would show my friends who don't watch Top Gear. Good enough to tell people who "sort of" watch it to watch this weeks though.

9/10, A-

I was going to give this episode an 8, because Richard's introduction was a bit like watching David Attenborough. Although, fair is fair because everyone is sick, I don't want anyone to think that his opening would ever be preferable to Jeremy, or even possibly James. I disliked his introduction for the same reason that I don't read his articles, they are just short homogenized snippets, that say exactly what is needed to be said in a plain and flat manner. No elaborations, no insanity, just to the point and a bit dull really (sorry Richard). I doubt he would ever write about traveling to Russia, to sniff pink cocaine off of a prostitute, or about riding through London without a helmet, just to see if he could get away with it. No, Richard is too on the hook, normal, in line and doing what he's supposed to be doing. He's like listening to only the bass guitar in a song, without the lead and rhythm it just feels like something is lacking. He's a key element to the show, and gives it something it much needs, but out in front and alone he didn't have the mental, against the social norm remarks that I find to be so entertaining.

Past that, the show was excellent. The Communist cars segment alone was quite funny, add to that the Fiesta, and I couldn't possibly give it lower than a 9. I know that Jeremy and James were sick, and in the future I'll be nicer about all that. I just wanted to make my above stated point about Richard.

Great Series so far! Can't wait for Episode 7!

Blues Brothers references in this thread were great :lol:

Wanted to add to Nate from earlier... A Dodge Corvette? :lol: that gave me a good laugh, thanks.

Last edited:
Perfect 10. One of the best episodes in a while. The mall chase was epic! Just what I wanted to see. And Jeremy with the AK was priceless.

If you voted anything but a 10/10 (i dont remember ever giving this rating before) than you are simply a gay.

10/10

Boris Johnson totally rocked!
The beach segment was EPIC, just wondering what kind of whopping budget it cost....

Hope a speedy recovery to JC, I want the shouty Jeremy back!!!

I don't think the Marina fire was deliberately lit. I think Jeremy just switched on the headlights and radio at the same time.

;)

I must admit though, I did feel a little pang of guilt after reading the Marina forum story. How far is too far?

Last edited:
I don't think the Marina fire was deliberately lit. I think Jeremy just switched on the headlights and the radio at the same time.

:lmao::lmao: