[12x06] December 7th, 2008

[12x06] December 7th, 2008

• Total voters
Here it is.

You find a band. Maybe you hear it at a local pub? You buy their CD for a fiver and maybe a t-shirt. After a few years they get a real record company to publish their music and they find some moderate success. You think of them as "my band". They gradually get more and more popular. Gigs become concerts. A few dozen in the audience becomes a few hundred becomes a few thousand. No longer the unpolished, local, "homemade" feel. Now they're polished. Mass merchandise. Everything's scripted, everything's a show, everything's mechanical now. They're no longer "my band".

That's what, I think, has happened for a lot of people with Top Gear. It's no longer mum's homemade pie, it's a Tesco's Own Brand Pie(tm).

EPIC

EPIC

This episode was simply EPIC!

You know how somebody get's to it's perfection and you just can't think HOW IN THE WORLD can you improve it? Well they just DID!

I mean, every new show is just great and better and better... but my oh my, this last one was just OFF the charts for me :)

The Fiesta in the shopping center was just fantastic and unexpected, I mean sure, we all expected something crazy... but that was just ahh.. I absolutelly loved it!

The communist cars, Cpt. Slow off the track bit...

And a note to FORD: BRING your cars from Europe HERE! :mrgreen:

Alright, back to my normal self... sorry guys, I just watched the show 3 times in a row :)

As I explained, the actual decisions on what we might end up doing with a Morris Marina are still a bit up in the air at the moment, but given the usual stuff we get up to, the cars are usually largely still in one piece by the time we?re done.
This is what the owner of a Marina received from buyer about possible usage of Marina - so car is in fact largely in one piece now :rofl:

And a note to FORD: BRING your cars from Europe HERE! :mrgreen:

Amen to that!!! :mrgreen:

Seriously, the fiesta is the great car. It seem the cup holder in the fiesta is built for smoke grenades :lol:.

Detroit should propose the plan to retool car plants that currently builds SUV to plants that can build model that is sold in European. It seems they are 10 times better than what they offer here. :cry:

The Fiesta segment was one of the most epic TG segments I've ever seen. As if racing through a mall wasnt enough, storming a beach with the marines just made it doubly exciting...

Odd though that the Fiesta could ford what looked like really deep water...

10/10 It was great.

I really like when Jeremy and James are together. Really like that James seems to have a fire lit under his bottom lately and really goes for things instead of just letting Jeremy always take the lead.

Loved the news. I suspect James is still single by choice. I know I am, difference being, I did actually try marriage before deciding for myself. Much prefer the way things are now.

Boris Johnson has balls to come on and face Jeremy. I like that. Has anyone else noticed Boris always looks like he slept in his clothes and just got up and went to whatever it is he is appearing on?

I am even wanting a ford fiesta now.

One question. What is a manual fuel pump? Anything like Hammonds manual water pump?

Can't believe that this many ppl are giving a sub-par episode 10... :blink:

Two things:

1) Isn't sub-par, i.e. under par actually an ideal thing? Isn't it the kind of thing people spend years trying to achieve?

2) If this episode doesn't do it for you, which ones do?

in this episode, the Moskvitch had Estonian old numberplate. This car is still registered in Estonia.
http://web.ark.ee:10122/aris/soiduk.jsp?act=srch&regnr=897sac
rough translation:

registration number: 897 SAC
Mark: IZ
Model : 412IE
first registration: 01.01.1982
body color: Light Brown
Fuel: Petrol
engine cm3: 1480
power kW: 55
inspection: not valid
restrictive measurements: -

May said it was 408 model, but it's registered as 412 model...

Last edited:
Fucking awesome episode, the Fiesta was the best part of the episode.

10/10

Also 10/10, just Pure awesomeness.

Fiesta test was VERY VERY VERY TOP GEAR!

well, I'm apparently different from you lot, since I think this was the worst episode of the season. (by this I still mean the worst episode of TG ever is still better than anything else on TV)

- Veritas vs Caterham... pretty boring reviews, only thing I really liked was the hotlaps, because the Caterham looked SO fast! Veritas is what happens when the ugly stick gets turned into a car.
- News was good, Jeremy not being able to talk was genius
- Communist Cars : I'm sorry, but it was a letdown to me. There were too many cars that were reviewed, but not so much in detail. Also, I was hoping for "the Stigs Communist cousin" but he wasn't there.
- SIARPC : actually watched this for once, and was meh. I dunno why everyone lives Boris so much
- Fiesta review was good old Classic TG. The scene with the Corvette was awesome, unfortunately I missed the bit in the end with the marines because my recorder went all "time's up"

7/10 from me...

10/10 for a solid, well-rounded show with some neat twists (some forced by illness) to mix things up a little. Nothing else to say that hasn't already been said above.

PS to Judy - James isn't "single" as Jeremy said but he isn't married. AFAIK he is still seeing "Woman" (she has been mentioned in a few of his recent columns in the Daily Telegraph) aka dance critic/journalist Sarah Frater whom he has been dating since 2000 although I've never managed to work out whether they actually live together or if she has a place of her own so that she doesn't have to shift a whole load of old motorbike parts before having a bath!

I actually wondered how those tire marks got there when I was at Festival Place a couple of weeks ago. Last night I got the answer. That Fiesta test was fantastic, and the rest of the show was pretty good too.

Brilliant - the Fiesta test was fantastic, superb work. The Caterham looked incredible in Stig's hands - something that small and twitchy, cornering at those speeds - I want one, though it's so much more car than I could ever handle.

damn great! I loved it how jeremy started and you heard his voice completely broken:D

"May, you look like a mutant!"

Hilarious, the fiesta and the corvette part, damn great and especially with the royal marines!

9/10, why a 9? The communist part was a bit too long.

So I looked up the Royal Marines on Wikipedia (because they're badass) and I found this:

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blaro/2008/12/08/royal_marines_ford_fiesta.gif
:lmao:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_marines

See how long it lasts before the WikiNazis take it back down again!

I don't know. I missed the first segment and most of the news. Listening to Clarkson's voice-over wasn't really pleasant. I didn't nessacarily enjoy the Communist segment. I thought this was the part of the series where we see Red Stig. I didn't see him. The SIARPC wasn't really enjoyable either. I can barely hear what Clarkson was saying, and I had my TV turned right up. For most of the Fiesta test, I was thinking "WTF was that?!". Though after that, I thought that was a majestic test. Hope Clarkson sounds better for next week. That kinda marred this weeks episode.

I would say 8/10 but I've yet to see the first 15 minutes.