[13x01] June 21st, 2009

[13x01] June 21st, 2009

• Total voters
Oi! In the intro of the race Richard says that "all heavy metal music traces its roots back to Led Zeppelin."

Hello! Jimi Hendrix?
Hello! Black Sabbath?
Hello! Deep Purple?

But of course, he had to go for the most overrated band of them all...Led Zeppelin.

I figured I'd make an entry to this forum somewhere, although I doubt I'll be a regular.

A decent episode, but I have to admit a certain amount of mild annoyance on a couple of points regarding the race, being something of a fan of steam locomotives.
Neither of the "technical problems" they brought up with the locomotive could have been genuine. I can explain why, but I'd just end up boring people, or coming off as a right anorak if I tried (which I am to be fair, but best not to prove it). Obviously, they have to add in some tension, but I'm a little disappointed they chose to do it by faking faults in such an unbelievable machine.

In reponse to acabinian, handmade is the wrong word. Custom made is a better term - while the parts for an A1 locomotive would have been made in a factory in the first place, they obviously aren't mass produced these days.
Tornado is quite a fascinating project - even if you're only passingly interested in that sort of thing. Although it's not exactly far removed from similar classes of locomotive such as the Peppercorn A2s (of which examples are preserved), the mere fact they actually managed to build a new one is astounding. The only real difference between the locomotive as it's built today, and how it would have been if it had been built in the days of steam, is that the boiler is welded rather than riveted, and modern construction tolerances are tighter. Indeed, even the number is sequentially what the next A1 would have been were it built back at the end of the 1940s.

As far as the races go, I would occasionally like to see them not follow the same "we'll show you the guy turning up second, then hide the winner somewhere in the bar" routine every time. It's more than a little predictable these days, so it takes any possible surprise out of it for a regular viewer.

On the note of Schumacher, I frankly couldn't care that he didn't do a timed lap. I found the lap of fail to be more than amusing enough to compensate.

A good start I think. The season preview speaks well of the coming weeks as well.

how big is that secret that the stig made the local news in Florida! awsome. and yes, i told them it is a joke.

deleted as this upsetted some and political jokes seem to belong to other forums

Last edited:
The race was average, to be honest, but the Evora test made up for it.

Schumi ain't the Stig. They just faked the whole thing so Ferrari would permit Top Gear to take the FXX on the track with Schumacher behind the wheel. Remember the Renault F1? It was Heikki Kovalianen disguised as the Stig who drove it. Maybe, just maybe, the lap times were done by Schumacher, with all the other Stig appearances done by body doubles. But I seriously doubt that Michael was able to fit into his busy schedule weekly trips to England for the past six years.

I'm somewhat disappointed with the FXX's time considering the DBR9 was able to do it two seconds faster. 860 HP and $2 million for a car that can't even touch a Le Mans racer.

Last edited:
Speaking of the last bit. They said that you wondered that why MS never did a lap in the old Suzuki Liana. But if he is the Stig, then didn't he do a Lap back in Series 8? (1:44.4).

Credits had him as a Guest star also and the Stig seperarly, so I believe it was bit of a elborate Joke.

On the downside from my previous post, the News was random and the MC interview could have been better.

But still, <3 TG.

Quite liked the race. Liked the review of the Evora, but not a big fan of the car itself. News was disappointing but I have a feeling it will be really good next week, this weeks episode was very full. And for those who are actually wondering if Schumi is the real Stig, he obviously isn't. Even "his lap" (which I seem to be the only person to have quite liked) was meant to outline that he was "lying" about being the Stig. It's fairly common knowledge who the most common Stig is.

Clarkson basically brought the whole "Schumacher is The Stig" gag to an end right at the end of the show when he said "I don't think Michael Schumacher is The Stig" in reference to the crazy Liana lap. Therefore The Stig's identity continues to remain a mystery... in the context of the show at least.

Face it - it's very likely the first time Schumacher has ever been in The Stig "costume" ever. Anyone who actually thinks he's been The Stig all along is totally kidding themselves.

It's more obviously a Ferrari/Fiat/Bacardi PR move having Schumacher come on in this episode - the interview stank of that unfortunately. Nothing of any real interest was discussed.

The episode itself was OK but not great. I'm not sure why people are gushing over it. The race was interesting but clearly the bike's reliability gave the Top Gear editing team a challenge to keep things interesting.

What really caught my eye was the season preview: Hammond in the Veyron getting owned by The Stig in the Mclaren F1? Possible? Discuss...

Hello! Jimi Hendrix?
Hello! Black Sabbath?
Hello! Deep Purple?

Jimi: 1967
Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zep: 1968

I you want to get technical, of the precursors of the bands mentioned above, pre-Led Zeppelin The Yardbirds formed about 6 years prior to the others' precursors, with Jimmy Page joining in in early '66.

But if you really want to nitpick, the true precursor to metal is Cream.

Great race, all three machines were wonderful so I didn't mind who won.

Loved the Evora spinning round on the grass.

And the Kinks allegedly invented the first heavy metal riff in 1964 with 'you really got me' but I have no idea where the roots of the genre are. But sure as hell it isn't Led Zep.

Last edited:
Stig did a 1:44.4 on a dry lap while Hamilton did a 1.44.7 on a wet track. That would mean that Hamilton is faster than Schumacher, which is absolute bollocks!

Reactions: dMa
couldnt get used to the fact that jeremy wasnt driving the car in the race, but, on the other side of that, it was nice to see them change it up, a new way of doing things, keeping it fresh

Err, JC didn't drive the car in the London race either, nor did he win.

This episode was didn't meet expectations, although maybe mine were too high, as they typically are for the 1st episode of the season.

The race was fantastic, no doubt about it. There are few things more entertaining than an irritated James May.

The Lotus review was subpar. Since when does any 'supercar' go 0-60 in 5.1 seconds with a top speed of 162 or whatever with a toyota camry engine? Yes, it handles great and apparently drives well on grass, but this review seemed to suffer from a bit of British bias.

The news was scripted, contrived, and annoying, as usual.

The Schumacher interview was somewhat interesting, but The Stig 'reveal' seemed pointless.

I love TG and can't wait for the next episode (the preview was incredible), but this one fell short imo. 6/10

Last edited:
Well, after watching the Outtakes it becomes obvious that Michael is NOT The Stig :)
They may have fooled the rest of the world, but they will not fool FinalGear :)

Amazing episode. some of you take the stigs identity a little too serious. its all in good fun. off topic but any torrent sites have james mays new show?

Schumacher is not the Stig.

1.) Top Gear wouldn't really give up that easily.
2.) Stickers on helmet gone.
3.) Credits list BOTH Stig and Schumy.

I think the question changed from, "Who is the Stig," to "Is Schumacher really the Stig?"

If you ask me, no. Michael isn't the Stig.

Very good episode. A solid 10 from me. :)

Btw, If Schumy really is the Stig, he will be killed off next episode.

Last edited:
comon guys, the stig is definately not shumacher. If you watch the FXX lap, you can tell the driver had a different driving style...he was a lot smoother at the wheel. Shumacher also had a different helmet, suit, and gloves than regular stig. Regular stig is also not as short and skinny as shumacher. It was a good joke though.

overall good episode though, loved how the FXX sounded.

Jimi: 1967
Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zep: 1968

I you want to get technical, of the precursors of the bands mentioned above, pre-Led Zeppelin The Yardbirds formed about 6 years prior to the others' precursors, with Jimmy Page joining in in early '66.

But if you really want to nitpick, the true precursor to metal is Cream.

You are right about Cream.

Technically, Deep Purple was started in early 1967 but ok ;)

season looks epic..cant wait

happy to have it back

I really liked the old time train / car / bike race. It's fairly different than many of their other races, as most of them were using "today's" equipment.

As for the whole Stig is Michael Schumacher idea, I'm thinking that he's not the man in white. In the credits it says the following:
Presented by
Jeremy Clarkson
Richard Hammond
James May
and
The Stig

Special Guest
Michael Schumacher​
Now, if Michael Schumacher really was the Stig, shouldn't the credits now say:
Presented by
Jeremy Clarkson
Richard Hammond
James May
and
Michael Schumacher​

What I imagine they'll probably do is each week have the guest dress up as the Stig and say that they're the one that's illegal in 14 US states.

Oh well, that's just my idea. That FXX lap was nuts. Oh, I shouldn't say that, what with Hammond being saddle sore and all...

Gumpert Apollo, please see the Keyboard Cat so he can play you out.

Last edited:
I liked this part

JC Narration - "They said that Coal burned Eggs were delicous..."
... - "They were wrong"

JC - Cough, throws egg
... - Coughs again and throws the entire sandwich out of the window