[13x01] June 21st, 2009

[13x01] June 21st, 2009

• Total voters
Loved the episode, great to have proper Top Gear back. The race between the train/Jag/Vincent was great, definitely had the feel of one of the epic races that TG are famous for. Loved the Stigmacher segments too, absolutely hilarious. Can't wait for the rest of this season.

For the Stig reveal, I was thinking whoever was under the helmet was going to be wearing a full head mask of a racing helmet. I was surprised to see Schumacher.

Last edited:
Awesome. It wasn't the most epic TG race and yeah, the news could have made mention of the car industry's turmoil in the past few months, but thank christ their back. It's like this hole in my soul that has just been filled again.

Personally I'd credit The Kinks and Jeff Beck as precursors to heavy metal...

I was personally hoping The Stig would have lifted his helmet only to see Sabine Schmitt... or James May... and then a snidey comment to the newspapers!

Bad news. No, not the Dacia. Staged and scripted.

Yes alright. They still have to replace the damage done on the Suzuki. It's not like they are going to replace it anytime soon as it isn't the current reasonably priced car anymore. They can get the windscreen fixed, but it'll be interesting to see if the bodywork damage remains for Hamilton's retry.

I thought it was a solid episode. Love that Jag.

Will the FXX stay on the power board since it isn't street legal?

Last edited:
In the outtakes of the show, there is an interview with Michael and he says that it took him a few laps to record the best time with the FXX, because "there were a few blind corners." If he really was The Stig he would know those corners.
I guess they only did it to shut the mounths of the media.

All I can say about this ep is that I cant wait for next sunday!

Great race, decent review, news somewhere in between, didn't like the whole stig nonsense, a bit silly.

The whole Stig bit was just stupid. Not funny at all, and now they've just made the Stig awkward. Clearly Schumacher has not been the Stig all these years, even the casual female fans in the audience would know that.

That Lotus was ugly and the segment was very short and almost rushed...can't get too excited by any car with a Camry engine.

Three-way race was beautifully filmed, too bad that it was really just a two-way race. Also a little disappointed Jeremy tried to feign relief at not having to ride the motorcycle when clearly Hammond was going to be riding it all along - why else would he have his leathers with him in his car?

I don't mind if some things are scripted, just don't try to make me believe that they aren't, BBC!!

Schumacher in the FXX was amazing...that car is simply heads and shoulders above anything else. You could just tell that lap was going to spank all other times.

Overrall I give it a 7. Not their strongest start, but it could have been worse!

Yes alright. They still have to replace the damage done on the Suzuki. It's not like they are going to replace it anytime soon as it isn't the current reasonably priced car anymore. They can get the windscreen fixed, but it'll be interesting to see if the bodywork damage remains for Hamilton's retry.

They had at least two.

In regard to Stig - it wasn't difficult to put two and two together...which is hmmm FXX, and then Stig entrance?

I did find it convenient that Richard picked the bike by randomness - I think it was totally assigned (many of you are thinking "wow look at the big brain on Roadster! Way to crack the DaVinci code"), which is fine by me, no complaints.

Would I pick the Evora over the Cayman or Cayman S? Nope.

What was up with Clarkson switching cell phones? At one point it looked like he was using his iPutz, and then he switched to something Nokia like. Maybe not wanting to get that white casing dirty with coal, or the 5hr talk-time battery died out!

10/10!

Last edited:
Stig did a 1:44.4 on a dry lap while Hamilton did a 1.44.7 on a wet track. That would mean that Hamilton is faster than Schumacher, which is absolute bollocks!

100% correct. Hamilton will never touch Schumacher's greatness.

That final segment with "Schtig" in the Liana was excellent- thats the hardest I've ever laughed during a Top Gear show. When he came through the tyres backwards... I lost it :D

In the outtakes of the show, there is an interview with Michael and he says that it took him a few laps to record the best time with the FXX, because "there were a few blind corners." If he really was The Stig he would know those corners.
I guess they only did it to shut the mounths of the media.

Do we even need to "prove" this? It was pretty blatant, let's be honest - you don't need stuff like Jezza saying "[Schu] had no idea what that was all about" in the BTS piece to realise it.

I liked this part

JC Narration - "They said that Coal burned Eggs were delicous..."
... - "They were wrong"

JC - Cough, throws egg
... - Coughs again and throws the entire sandwich out of the window

Yes, indeed... that was priceless!

- Loved the landscapes shots during the race
- Nice to have James driving the car and winning the race
- What a fuckin' awesome, menacing, batmobile-style car is that FXX... definitely Schumi deserved that....

We're about to have a fantastic series.... looking forward to Veyron vs. McLaren F1 and Lambo SV review, hell yeah!

The Stig bit was a huge pisstake anyone who thought anything else needs to pull their finger out.

I'm pretty sure that Schumacher isn't allowed to drive any other cars than Ferrari/Fiat on TV while he is still on a Ferrari contract. That's why there was no Liana lap.

Well, he drove a maserati in the drunk driving video thingy, and some SUV which i don't think is a fiat.
So i don't think it's quite that...

Anyways, Just as a proof that michael is not even one of the stigs (bar the fxx) and only meant as a joke. Check the lines he takes in turn 1 and 2. As said on top gear many times before... Stig takes a different line from other f1 drivers (which he does) and michael took the normal f1 line in the fxx. Proof enough?

Being something of a ferroequinologist (i.e. train nut), I was rooting for the A1. Was following its construction for a while, the sheer concept was just amazing that they would build a replica mainline locomotive.

NTM

I dunno.. Schumy or not I feel like the Stig should always remain a mystery. Even if rumors, papers, blogs knew.. for the actual show it should just remain the on going bit till the end of time..

Just me :)

In my top 5 of all time fav episodes. That FXX lap was astonishing and the sound.... oye amazing.

It's not a big deal with Schumi being the Stig, they played it off as a joke due to the media and this site of course endlessly discussing it. I find TG to be just guys having fun with motorized stuff and showing their wit with their humor. I think you have to almost appreciate the psyche in order to understand what TG does, and why it does it.