[13x01] June 21st, 2009

[13x01] June 21st, 2009

• Total voters
So that's why the stig's helmet has such a deep chin!

FXX noise.
R500 time missing?
The Stig/Schumachers helmet, the GPR logo was missing.
May is even more awesome this series.

Last edited:
THEY FUCKING HAD SCHUMACHER AND DIDN'T PUT HIM IN THE LIANA???? ffs! We could have had a clear cut decision on whether he or hill was faster.

ARGH :'(

Good episode. I gave it a 10 in the poll, but that was more just enthusiasm at having new Top Gear. On reflection, the episode really was more of an 8.

Michael is the only FXX "owner" with a black car with no white stripe, so I knew that had to be his car doing the lap. So I wasn't surprised when the helmet came off.

And indeed, what an amazing time.

RH's quote had me on the floor - ""I am now straddling my boyhood hero. Wait, that didn't come out right."

Killing dogs. Suicide. Driving through buttercups.

They're so going to get letters. :)

Last edited:
Voted 7. Good episode, the race was run-of-the-mill in my opinion. Everything else was fairly good, but the highlight for me was the preview of the rest of the series. This should be a good one.

EPIC episode... I'm very pleased. Lived up to all the expectations.

And yes, it was obvious that it was michael after they showed the black fxx.

Was Schumacher too afraid of being slow compared to other F1 drivers? I was hoping to see him in a car (

Didn't (and still don't) believe that Schumacher has been the Stig for this long, but a pleasant surprise nonetheless. Was that his FXX given to him by Ferrari?

Entertaining race and seeing Jeremy in the steam train was fun. I can't imagine the physical strain and stress shoveling that coal into the fire to keep the train going as fast as it was. Also, if it is definitely hand-made, what amazing quality and construction of the parts. The people who built it definitely weren't in it for the cash but to build a once magnificent machine.

Only bad part for me was the news; wasn't really entertaining and made me cringe a few times...:(

Overall, 8/10. Bring on the next 6 eps :)

Last edited:
Schumi isn't the Stig, or he's not the only Stig. There's a video up on youtube of a dutch(IIRC) TV show or something asking him some questions, obviously with the helmet on. He has a completely different accent, and obviously British one at that. Also, I'm pretty sure Schumacher has better things to do than moonlight as the Stig every week. I still maintain that the Stig is Ben Collins.

Yes, agreed that the Stig may have been other people before Schumaker. It does make sense that he could be the Stig at this point though, since Top Gear truly has a fair deal of international cachet and I can see how Clarkson could persuade him to take the gig.

The bit at the end with the Liana really felt tacked on, just to make people still wonder, and I really feel like the entire rest of the episode suggests this was a true reveal and that Schumaker IS the Stig, or at least has been recently. I would not take that end bit seriously, it clearly is not intended as such.

An epic episode. Gets a very high 9 from me!

Schumacher is definately not the stig. And I believe it was Schumacher as the stig when the FXX went round the track. Still.. a really good opener for the season. Can't wait till next week!

Any one remember Spinal Tap when they were talking about their Marshal Amp - 11/10 (but as its not on the score board 10!)

The whole evening was wonderful from 07:30 through to the BBC4 prog on James. I loved that U2.

Last edited: