[13x02] June 28th, 2009

[13x02] June 28th, 2009

• Total voters
I'll have to watch this episode again, was distracted during the Top Gear office scene and missed alot of the prop jokes.
Only really funny thing about the challenge was James' stereo while the rest was kind of dull and predictable,
but the the rest of the episode was brilliant.
Stephen Fry was fantastic as usual.

8/10 was my vote. (This might go up after my second viewing)

The sight of James May racing up a hill wearing THAT hat and playing THAT music was one of the best things I've ever seen.

And the Volvo arriving at the field and promptly spinning out of control...

Last edited:
Eight out of ten. Good solid episode. TG office in-jokes, Stephen Fry, and the shenanigans in Abu Dhabi were excellent. The challenge was good, but lacked that something.
The McLaren really should've gone round the track in Schumacher's Collins's the Stig's hands IMO!
The noise of the Murcielago made it, as far as I am concerned....

Brilliant episode. Fry was great as to be expected and his expressions when he was driving were priceless.

Also liked the challenge, very good, loved it when Jezza crashed trying to park and when he couldn't get out of the field cos the Volvo was so heavy.

I was thinking there was something missing but had forgotten about the race, that was epic.

Challenge was brilliant, the usual cocking about and destruction. They completely missed the mark for young drivers cars for less that ?2500 though :roll: (for the record, I paid ?1600 for mine and the insurance was ?750 when I was 18, 9 months after passing my test)

Lambo looks nice, and I was surprised to hear more Command & Conquer 3 music being played.

Fry was good, and the whole talk about Twitter and iPhones stopped it from being boring. The general studio larking around also helped to make it a 9+ from me. Well, just a 9 then.

Oh and I also had to love the

Richard-"...No, no accidents in the last 5 years...:blink:"

:lol:

His face to the camera were brilliant.
And as a poster above said about some of the remarks were slightly Jacksonesque...

I bet they are sitting round after watching the ep thinking "....holy crap" at that!!

(as I was :))

The SIARPC was great for once with the typically great Stephen Fry. I thought when Stephen Fry was saying how a father yelled "Oi Fry, my kids go to bed with you every night" that was going to cue a Michael Jackson joke.

The news of his death wasn't released until Thursday.

Wasn't it BRILLIANT?!!

Wasn't Jeremy LUSH?!!

I did feel that the Lambo section went on a bit, but that's only because JC wasn't in it.

Music - AMAZING
Camera work - Could it be any better? I don't think so until technology catches up with the camera mens expertise!
Challenge was really funny, Top Gear classic humor.
SiRPC was properly class, and

THANK YOU for the news!! I love this bit, it's my favourite apart from the challenges and this week it was full of actual news and a decent length.

Andy Wilman is GORGEOUS and I love him.

That is all!!

Enjoyed it very much, but not as much as last week

Another great Top Gear. Stephen Fry classic. Funny challenge, Some great things going on in the background in the office at the start.

The news of his death wasn't released until Thursday.

i know, but its one of those things i was thinking "did they mention it and cut it out of editing before it went to air?" because while it would have been funny normally, given what happened on Thursday it would only come across as poor taste and would have essentially loaded the Howitzer's waiting to strike on the Top Gear office.

As a 17 year old who is taking his driving test this Wednesday, I was very interested to see what they would be up against in the challenges. However the first problem that I saw was the budget. ?2500 is a lot of money, and I would class it too high. I would have set it at ?1500 - that would have shown them a better challenge. My worry of what they were to do with the insurance problems was answered by the budget. I shan't be complaining to the BBC just yet.
As for the challenges themselves, they had me in tears from step one. The combination of the childish hilarity of them gluing May's stereo to be playing the most horrendous kind of noise possible added to the unexpected brilliance of Clarkson destroying the rear window of his Volvo (in a wonderful deja vu moment from when I was in Dublin leaving a music gig, in which a door was removed from our hired Hiace by a bollard and a window was broken) left me on the brink of actually wetting myself.
The finale was an amusing way to stereotype all 17 year olds as chavs, as was the whole idea of the challenge to be honest, but I'm more intelligent than listening to the kind of out of tune blank noise coming out of James' Golf.
Frankly this film came across to me as being one of the best they have ever done.

The supercars in the desert was brilliant in its own ways, however I would class that Murcielago as nothing less than a hypercar. The race was a nice feature with a nice ending - not the usual 'and I've won' but 'BRAAAAAAAKE!!!' :p. A slightly disappointing time I must say, although maybe I was expecting more from what we're always told is the best of the best of the best supercar in the world. I, however, won't miss the Lambo.

Stephen Fry's interview wasn't quite as long as hoped, and maybe not quite as interesting either, but whatever. We know that the nearest 'grinder' :)lmao:) to Topgear is 9 miles away, if you ever wanted to know that. Another slightly disappointingly slow time, and the man himself looked less 'good' thanks to the weight loss, but more to me of 'ill' - maybe also in a mental state; but lets hope not.

The final race was kind of shoved in, and should really have been integrated in with the other segment. But a nice race nonetheless. A sort of expected victory, but to me a less expected massive jump off the line from the McLaren.

Overall, this series is (and I'm pretty sure this is said about every series every time) shaping up to be an excellent way to spend the license payers' money. 9/10.

17 Year old car bit was epic and totally hilarious. My sides hurt I was laughing so hard. SIARPC was average, news was good, lambo was ok even though it was the same colour as clarksons shirt last week, vayron vs mclarren was good.

Hands down a way better episode than last weeks. Some very nice foxies in he audience as well!

I had the good fortune (thanks, Lazza79!) to be at Dunsfold on Wednesday and I wasn't at all sure this episode was going to come across as well as I hoped it would - I actually said to my housemate that I didn't think it would be a classic, but I had such a brilliant time I didn't really care. However, it was so well paced, and I thought it was extremely well balanced. No silly gimmicks, a challenge I thought worked well and Jesus, the metal... That Lamborghini is a very fitting swansong for the Murcielago and bringing out the McLaren was lovely. I wasn't surprised how close the race against the Bugatti was, given that it has an amazing power-to-weight ratio and the Veyron doesn't like heat (funny, given what a high percentage of them end up in the Middle East), but it was just glorious to see and hear. I very nearly had a 'crisis'...

If series 13 keeps going the way it's going, it's going to be phenomenal.

Very, very happy with that.

Last edited:
Again F1 vs Veyron... fuck me!!! I was willing the 'Ron on soo much.
It was nerve-wracking, great 'climax' to it as well.

Last edited:
Lambo + SLR Video racing through the streets was epic.

Also the CCC was brilliant, when i saw the bodykit on Hammond's car i made a mess in my trousers with laughter. Also i think James had it spot on. 3 door hatch, big stereo. And Bought and insured for under ?2500. Segments in the office were funny, Stig photocopying his helmet etc. Some great quotes in that ep too! "But thats 15 times more than the car is worth? So what your saying is i effectively have to write the car off 15 times every year?". True stuff :p

However ?2500 is quite i high budget i would say, most of my friends have between ?1000-?2000 (if that) i was fortunate enough to luck into stealing a car from my Mum! (Being french and made of plastic shall make it easier to hide the damage ;)). Also the bad editing with that music was meh. Although it sounded like on the TopGear track it wasn't edited as the bass distorted his voice (if you have been in a car with bass and turn it up you will know what i mean)

SIARPC was good, Fry is always entertaining. Cant believe how thin he looks! Also this ep has made me download Grindr. :blush:

All in all a great episode, 7/10!

Last edited:
^ Aww Jason has finally come out the closet everyone. How cute.

Speedtouch- good luck mate, having done mine about 6-10 months ago I feel for you. Hopefully you'll get a good examiner, what are you favourite maneuvers?

There is a minor bug at about 15:46 on the episode release with skipping or players stalling. YMMV.

Also, Live-topic is enabled-- so you don't need to F5 the thread.

Thanks Dan - and my driving instructor said I was 'too good' last time we did maneuvers. I've only been learning for 3 months, but I picked it all up pretty quickly. I've just got to remember not to be stupid in the test. Also - I would not like your parents' insurance bill for the Saab!