[13x02] June 28th, 2009

[13x02] June 28th, 2009

• Total voters
Very good episode, the race between the 722 and the lambo through the streets was awesome.

No wonder I can't find a girlfriend - my handbrake doesn't work :lol:

9. Classic Top Gear

I love cheap car challenges, and this was no exception.

The Abu Dhabi bit was entertaining.

I liked how they handled the Stig with the "some say he was found bound to a chair with german piano wire" thing. I knew they would do this.

Stephen Fry and the Grinder was hilarious. The way Jeremy's eyes lit up when he saw the app was priceless!

Great Episode. Not as epic as last week's, but still awesome! This season is gonna be great!

Well, I'm off to watch the series 2 finale of TGA now.

Last edited:
James picture of the queen
Student,full time,studying?religion
German piano wire genius
Adam Smith
Stig in the copier
Hammond+hair+lambo=Rod Stewart

Oh,for God?s sake!
Hitting the garage
Mom and dad heroin addicts
How long does quire practice Take care,
Can you smell smoke on my fingers ?Absolute genius
It?s very important to turn the cloth frequently
I?ve got a motorbike
Nice?
Yeah!
He?s got no penis cause it came off, once
That was strangely satisfying
Music played during the hitting of the bikes by james
I?ve just been to the post office, they?ve got a new stamp out
It?s like my penis, that grew back.
Polish doesn?t work- I thought it was a joke about the poles
5 points for a really good one
it is quite excited, though?it saw its first camel today
run and meet at the border
he Bugatti Veyron, which we know to be the fastest car in the world, is faster than another kind of car! Genius

Clarkson once said (in the Bugatti VS James? flying washing machine race, if I?m not mistaking) that if the Bugatti let the McLaren accelerate from 0 to 200km/h, it would beat it to 300(Veyron 0-300km/h time < McLaren?s 200-300km/h time ).
After seeing this, I much doubt it.
The Veyron outputs 1001hp at 6000RPM.The
Rs4?s 4.2 l engine has 420 hp @7800rpm and 430Nm at 5500, 90% of which is available from 2250 to 7600rpm;this means it has about 387 Nm@ 6000 (a little more, because the torque curve is?curve, not flat, with a peak at 5500 then, descending left and right to 90% at 2250 and 7600, so when it passes the 6000rpm mark it is above 90%,say 390Nm ) which is 333 Horsepower at 6000.If you had a V16 made of these two V8s, you?d get 666 horses (The power of Christ compels you !).In a W configuration and without 0.4 liters (8 instead of 8.4=4.2*2) less than that. So, of total power, the turbos weigh about 40%.
When the molecules of gas are more thermally agitated than optimal (higher temperature), at the same turbo pressure you get less molecules of gas and more space between them; which means less Oxygen to burn and, in turn, less power.Depending on how hot it was, the McLaren stood a pretty good chance. Also,the lower mass helped the F1 accelerate better at lower speed and its drag coefficient is 0.32 compared to Bugatti?s is 0.41(with the wings up) + lower frontal area gave it the edge at high speed(where aerodynamic drag is most important).Veyron?s advantage: POWEEER!!!
With the Veyron in slippery mode(Cd=0.36),we would have seen a much bigger gap at the end; the first hundreds of meters would have been the same.
If the race took place at higher altitude and lower temperature, or just higher altitude, the opposite would have happened(same (as optimal) power for Veyron, less for Mclaren).

PS: looking at Hammond flanked by the Lambo it hit me: Hammond+witch hair+Lamborghini=Rod Stewart.

I would not like your parents' insurance bill for the Saab!

All I would like to say is thank God for Admiral Multicar! It's an Auto though so I've only driven it about twice, don't think I'll be driving it very soon though as they're changing the Scenice to an NFU one due to it being cheaper for me.

sorry for the long callback, I've been out and about

The Veyron outputs 1001hp at 6000RPM.The
Rs4?s 4.2 l engine has 420 hp @7800rpm and 430Nm at 5500, 90% of which is available from 2250 to 7600rpm;this means it has about 387 Nm@ 6000 (a little more, because the torque curve is?curve, not flat, with a peak at 5500 then, descending left and right to 90% at 2250 and 7600, so when it passes the 6000rpm mark it is above 90%,say 390Nm ) which is 333 Horsepower at 6000.If you had a V16 made of these two V8s, you?d get 666 horses (The power of Christ compels you !).In a W configuration and without 0.4 liters (8 instead of 8.4=4.2*2) less than that. So, of total power, the turbos weigh about 40%.
When the molecules of gas are more thermally agitated than optimal (higher temperature), at the same turbo pressure you get less molecules of gas and more space between them; which means less Oxygen to burn and, in turn, less power.Depending on how hot it was, the McLaren stood a pretty good chance. Also,the lower mass helped the F1 accelerate better at lower speed and its drag coefficient is 0.32 compared to Bugatti?s is 0.41(with the wings up) + lower frontal area gave it the edge at high speed(where aerodynamic drag is most important).Veyron?s advantage: POWEEER!!!
With the Veyron in slippery mode(Cd=0.36),we would have seen a much bigger gap at the end; the first hundreds of meters would have been the same.
If the race took place at higher altitude and lower temperature, or just higher altitude, the opposite would have happened(same (as optimal) power for Veyron, less for Mclaren).
You are very good with the calculator...however, in the real world things are a bit different.
Just one example of where your logic is flawed - bolting two V8's together will not give you 2x the power of one. There are losses.
Before this race we all expected that the F1 will get annihilated from the very start, but now we see that things are not exactly what they were supposed to be.

Great episode.

The Good:
- May's stereo glued and Clarkson's "question mark" face when forklift first hit his car were absolutely priceless!
- Although staged, the "getaway-while-your-parents-are-still-sleeping-challenge" was extremely funny to watch! Clarkson reversing from the shed saying "Shhhhh!!!" and turning on May's stereo while trying to getaway made me rofl very hard!
- SLR 722 vs. Lambo Murci SV and Veyron vs. McLaren F1 were awesome as well. I'd love to see both 722 and F1 doing a power lap....

The Not So Good:
- News. Not so many car news and not so funny segment as it was in the past.

Great ep, fun challenge, awesome supercar pr0n, very distracting audience member behind Hammond.

I didn't get the whole running joke about May almost losing his man bits tho.

Not sure if this was mentioned in the thread

......and I'm loathe to type "James May Penis" in the search bar. :blush:

my logic is not flawed at all.
there are gains: less mass (an engine made out of two smaller ones put together, not just welded),more balanced ,smoother engine. Also, there would be less moving parts in a V16 engine made out of two identical V8s so less friction (all the wheels an bearings used to synchronize the cams and alternator belts et c. + only one flywheel bearing ).
A possible problem would be cooling the long engine?s last cylinders 13-14,15-16
but that can be done with aerodynamic aids.
The result of putting together two V8s into a V16 is more efficient than the sum of the two V8s.

You are very good with the calculator...however, in the real world things are a bit different.
Just one example of where your logic is flawed - bolting two V8's together will not give you 2x the power of one. There are losses.
Before this race we all expected that the F1 will get annihilated from the very start, but now we see that things are not exactly what they were supposed to be.

there are gains: less mass (an engine made out of two smaller ones put together, not just welded),more balanced ,smoother engine. Also, there would be less moving parts in a V16 engine made out of two identical V8s so less friction (all the wheels an bearings used to synchronize the cams and alternator belts et c. + only one flywheel bearing );less friction <=> greater efficiency.
A possible problem would be cooling the long engine?s last cylinders 13-14,15-16
The result of putting together two V8s into a V16 is more efficient than the sum of the two V8s.

I didn't expect the F1 to be annihilated because of the reasons stated in the previous post but I did expect a bigger gap at the end.

Last edited:
Stig and the photocopier.. anyone else spot it?

Easily :p and also the tooth whitening kit on Hammond's desk, the picture of the Queen on May's desk, and Kristin Scott Thomas on Jezza's... i bet they deliberately made these stuff "to excite the internet" as we speak.

Speaking of the rating, it was mind blowing episode, i had a boner on this :p
ariel-atom-v8.jpg

And that "Grinder" app. i would only have it to run away in case some is in a close range :D

Lambo bit was adrenaline pumping, Bugatti vs. McLaren was great too, and that windscreen wiper bit at the end was staged.....So 9/10 it is!

Last edited:
9 / 10 from me.

There were some annoying bits but everything from Abu Dhabi was excellent (Lambo vs. SLR was solid gold) and the challenge for the most part entertaining. A very good episode.

there are gains: less mass (an engine made out of two smaller ones put together, not just welded),more balanced ,smoother engine. Also, there would be less moving parts in a V16 engine made out of two identical V8s so less friction (all the wheels an bearings used to synchronize the cams and alternator belts et c. + only one flywheel bearing );less friction <=> greater efficiency.
Problem is the Veyron has a W engine, which basically consists of two VR8's and is a more complex and difficult setup. Also, remember that the cylinder banks are all parallel, which gives you an engine about as long as a V8, but with the challenge of combining the force of four pistons onto one crankshaft. It's highly likely you'll need to balance this engine with additional measures. Also, the two inner cylinder banks will easily get temperature problems due to their isolated position. Thus, you can not directly compare this engine to two V(R)8's put together.

Last edited:
7/10, good but won't be watching again for a while.

They could've done more in Abu Dhabi, like going to a circuit or a bit more about the McLaren. It just felt a bit 8-year old-ish.

The challenges had their amusing bits but I've never really liked the cheap car challenges. Hopefully next week's will be better.

Good solid episode, and a real mix with something for everyone (the 'falling over', the 'proper car stuff' and Mr Fry) I saw the tooth whitening and Will Young and I just saw something with the stig in the background but missed what it was. Now I know. For me, one of the best bits was actually right at the beggining when Jeremy was driving in to the field, nearly collecting all the tents with one slippery downhill swipe! My first car was a VW Polo so I was kind of rooting for James in the Golf (but then, I always kind of root for James in these challenges) As for Stephen Fry, what more can you say about the man? He should be a Sir! I desperately wanted the F1 to win but sadly (and somewhat predictably) it didn't. It has been a very good start to the series, long may it continue.

The News is officially pointless now. Lets just call the segment "Mindless bullshitting amongst ourselves."