[13x03] July 5th, 2009

[13x03] July 5th, 2009

• Total voters
I dunno how you Californians tolerate this. Here, we block and push people out of the way if they are going to slow. God as my witness I have seen it done.

We don't have time that shit, bro! ;)

People here think that if they are going the speed limit, they are entitled to hog the left lane. In LA, in traffic, it doesn't really matter. The problem occurs when traffic starts to get light again and people fail to realize they are still in the left lane for no good reason.

I've flashed by brights at many drivers and had nothing happen. People are either not paying attention, not aware of what this means, or worse -- stubbornly refusing to adhere to the rules.

I've lived in California almost all my life (other than a couple brief stints in London) but I have driven all over the US, UK, and Europe and based upon my experiences, California is the absolute worst when it comes to left lane hogs.

Another theory I have is that there are too many people from Mexico here -- illegal or not, I don't think it is in their culture to keep to the right, but moreover the ones who are illegal are too afraid to speed since they don't even have licenses. That's not racist, that's a fact.

Great episode. I was crying with laughter when James was driving around with that sad looking Sint Bernhard.

I actually liked Michael McIntyre, I guess he's the kind of comedian people either really like or loathe. Little grey, so to speak.

Oh, and James has been told before he should never buy presents with a plug on it for his girlfriend. He mentioned it back in March in this column. :mrgreen:

One of the funniest columns he has ever written me thinks. I am still laughing at it months later.

Every time I think of those goldfish, I bust out laughing.

I haven't seen the show yet as I just got home but couldn't resist taking a peek to see what I would be enjoying.

I don't think this was the best episode ever. I thought the first episode in this series was better. Though I enjoyed the 65 Black, and I actually really like the MiTo. Ken Block was fairly enjoyable as well.

I thought this was the best so far this season. 9/10 because I felt something was missing from the Merc and Subaru segments. I sort of felt Ken Block's original videos were more interesting. SIARPC was very funny and the cheap cars entertaining.

Race next week!

People here think that if they are going the speed limit, they are entitled to hog the left lane. In LA, in traffic, it doesn't really matter. The problem occurs when traffic starts to get light again and people fail to realize they are still in the left lane for no good reason.

I've flashed by brights at many drivers and had nothing happen. People are either not paying attention, not aware of what this means, or worse -- stubbornly refusing to adhere to the rules.

I've lived in California almost all my life (other than a couple brief stints in London) but I have driven all over the US, UK, and Europe and based upon my experiences, California is the absolute worst when it comes to left lane hogs.

Another theory I have is that there are too many people from Mexico here -- illegal or not, I don't think it is in their culture to keep to the right, but moreover the ones who are illegal are too afraid to speed since they don't even have licenses. That's not racist, that's a fact.

it's not the mexican's. you should try driving in the tri-state area. i have an endless supply of stories. just yesterday, i had a guy in front of me who purposely kept changing lanes to stay in front of me. there was nobody in front of him in the left lane and when i would try to go around, he'd block me off. when i finally got around him, he gave me a smug smile. not sure what was accomplished by being an asshat.

back on topic

the episode started off slow but i really caught into it when they pulled into the financial section with the cheap cars and had the bankers sit in them telling them, this is what you're getting next.

:lol: priceless

So on my rewatch , is it just me or did Jeremy very nearly have a massively huge accident here:

vlcsnap-19050.png

I'm still toying with the idea that this is some kind of trained circus deer, but I've never heard of circus deer.

Last edited:
Has it occurred to you that the car might have been stationary?

He would've powerslided around the deer, of course!

And the first thing that popper into my mind was the Juan Pablo Montoya on the radio making jokes saying 'Oh deer!"

I'm still toying with the idea that this is some kind of trained circus dear, but I've never heard of circus dear.

Neither have I. In fact, a dear isn't a animal at all, but rather a term used as an adjective or as a start of a letter. Hehe...

Last edited:
SL65 review was solid, not great but still quite good. I am concerned that we will start to see the Stig wearing a kilt instead of a racing suit. The news was excellent, especially that telling off of all those heat advisories (we get them here and I live in the freaking desert. I know it's too f**king hot you half-wits! As hot as it was when Jezza got out was about as hot as it is when I get in my car at 6pm). The "cheap but crap" bit was just filler to me. Michael McIntyre was quite funny and his lap was insane. Ken Block? Wow. Just wow. James seemed like he almost shit his pants. And the film work was just perfect for it. The "cheap but cheerful" segment was pretty good.

A very solid 9 from me.

This was a good one, must admit. How cool for the producers to be in touch with viral internet culture! And they would have had to shoot that in the spring BEFORE they released Ken's 2nd Gymkhana film.

SL65 Reveiw: What's this? Jeremy able to see past a Merc's massive power reserves and admit that underneath it's a rubbish car? Wonders will never cease! honesty always gets a thumbs up in my book.

News: Funny. James really has a girlfriend? And she's a ballet correspondant? Are we sure she's a girl? Soap IS soap!

Cheap Car Chalenge 1: Well, yeah. We have the Chevy Aveo here as well. It's just as bad here. Gets the same gas mileage as Chevy's midsize sedan.

SIARPC: That guys is pretty funny, he's sort of like a British Robin Williams. Never seen Jeremy laugh so hard in an interview before. And I haven't seen a lap that crazy since Ian Wrong.

Ken Block: This was even better than Ken's films. BBC cameraman just know what they're doing, and have the best cameras! I love that they had no music for the first half of it. The sound of the machinery is all you need.

Cheap Car Challenge 2: The dog part was funny, but the cars were totally impractical, save the Mito. But they have remarked on previous shows how it's the first ugly Alfa, conveniently forgot that this time.

All in all, 9/10. Can't wait to see what Ken does to their track later in the year.

Last edited:
SL65 review was solid, not great but still quite good. I am concerned that we will start to see the Stig wearing a kilt instead of a racing suit. The news was excellent, especially that telling off of all those heat advisories (we get them here and I live in the freaking desert. I know it's too f**king hot you half-wits! As hot as it was when Jezza got out was about as hot as it is when I get in my car at 6pm). The "cheap but crap" bit was just filler to me. Michael McIntyre was quite funny and his lap was insane. Ken Block? Wow. Just wow. James seemed like he almost shit his pants. And the film work was just perfect for it. The "cheap but cheerful" segment was pretty good.

A very solid 9 from me.

As much as I enjoyed the car sauna, I was thinking the same thing. I just did my motorcycle course - two six-hour afternoons in 100F, cloudless, wndless, 80% humidity with the heat off the baclktop measuring 140 (60C). Of course we did the same thing Jezza did, 20 minutes on the bikes, 10 with our heads in ice buckets. In the end, I got my lisense and now I can ride!!!

I love Top Gear because it is better than 95% of anything on US TV, so a solid 8/10 from me, except for James' face on the jump, which was 10/10 any day of the week.

Loved the Ken Block video. It'll be a while before I get sick of high speed cameras in rallying. Especially with synchronized flybys.

Ken is not a god, and there's nothing he did there that no other premier rally driver could do, but there is also nothing he did that I could do. Once you get to the upper echelon, the differences in ability are pretty small. The camerawork and the interesting course is what made the segment great.

For me the episode was good but not great. I was a bit disappointed with the Sl65 bit because I knew Jeremy wasn't going to love it, but I didn't think he was going to dislike it as much as he did. I will say I am biased for AMG because I have owned and S55 and I did drive the SL65 AMG Black around Laguna and loved it. Now I was on a track that is silky smooth so I don't know what is like on the road, but I don't much care because I would be at the track all the time. I can see and understand why the CLK Black is still better of the three Black cars. Great on the track and on the street.

I had to turn the speakers down to nearly unintelligible levels during the drifting segment. Can't stand the cars that sound like that.

Neither have I. In fact, a dear isn't a animal at all, but rather a term used as an adjective or as a start of a letter. Hehe...

Ugg, I'm sorry. That's embarrassing and proves exactly how stupid I am. It's been fixed.

I had to turn the speakers down to nearly unintelligible levels during the drifting segment. Can't stand the cars that sound like that.

i usuallt cant either, but, that car doing those things can sound like a person throwing up and deficating on themselves and im cool with it. that was a great segment.

as far as the rest of the show, all i can say is, to all those people who come on here and complain about them never doing any car tests or reviews, there you go, you cried about it enough and so we had to suffer through it for an hour but you got your way, now, stuff it! ;)

otherwise, as was said before, ver normal show, kinda like good spagetti sauce that just needs more salt, its good, but, its missing something, if you know what im trying to over explain. as far as the SL Black review, iu cant believe he didnt like that car. during the whole film i was having flashbacks of him driving the Brabus SL and i was sure he would love this one, but, i was way wrong. oh well.

anyways, 8/10 should be a 7 but i know they are on a budget so ill give them a little room. :)

So on my rewatch , is it just me or did Jeremy very nearly have a massively huge accident here:

vlcsnap-19050.png

I'm still toying with the idea that this is some kind of trained circus deer, but I've never heard of circus deer.

im gonna say that its "film magic"