[13x05] July 19th, 2009

[13x05] July 19th, 2009

• Total voters
Is anyone else getting sick of a challenge every single week? Hows many car reviews have there been this series? 4 or 5? And James hasn't reviewed a car yet to me recollection.

RWD Challenge: OK. The 944 S2 is a cool car, cool to see. The 300ZX looked really good. It almost looked like a Fezza with those wheels. The fact that James brought a run down 80's Ford tells me they just wanted an excuse to make fun of the Morris Marina again. And what was with having a Bathurst on camera for all of 8 seconds? The ice racing was pretty stupid considering they went up against AWD cars and the purpose of the challenge was to prove that RWD is better than FWD. Of course AWD is better than RWD. We all know that.

News: This was consistently funny, as it has been all season. I like this new story telling thing they've been doing. It gives you a little more insight into the presenters. The speeding ticket was awesome. One thing Jeremy neglected to mention about it though. If you live in California and get a speeding ticket in California, you get points against your state issued license and you will eventually be suspended. The only way to get away with that kind of speed is to do it outside the state you live in and pray they don't report tickets back to your home state. Even if they don't, if you apply for new car insurance, they will do a background check and find abot every ticket you have ever gotten and you won't get insurance.

XFR Review: Good, I liked it alright. How about some more car reviews?

SIARPC: Never knew who Siena Miller was before the show. I heard her named mentioned on the show once or twice. She's nice enough to look at. I won't find out by watching Transformers 2, though. You couldn't pay me enough to watch that pile of garbage.

Range Rover thing: Jeremy did neglect to consider that hot exhaust will eventually dry out and shrivel plants. Of course, you could just buy a diesel and run it on biofuel or wate veggie oil and you wouldn't have to worry about emissions at all.

7/10, and I think that's a bit generous. The train race was awesome, but it gone lobsided since then. I'm starting to miss Series 5-7 again...

Look, you have been a member since 2007 so you should know what im about to say (for the thousanth time!), IF YOU WANT CAR REVIEWS EVERY WEEK WATCH FIFTH GEAR!!!!! FOR GODS SAKE.

when will people get it?

if you were disapointed/offended or you have some point to make about why Jezza forgot something or failed to mention something or even that he didnt do a proper review or that not all the presenters have had a go yet or whatever then you are just watching the show all wrong.

every film they show has a point and sometimes that point is, well, no point. as far as the challenges, well, im sure i speak for most people on here when i say that we all look forward to every challenge. they could do a cheap car every week and i would be just fine with that.

the bottom line is that im not trying to sit here and tell you all that your oppinions are all wrong but that what your baseing your oppinion on IS wrong. this show is FAR from serious and you need to remember that. if you watch it like your watching 3 men screw up the world around you, then, your in for a fun hour. if you watch it expecting good, real, unbiased car reviews that give you all the points, well, your just watching it for the wrong thing.

thank you.

I've just done the very same thing - got me a cheap rear wheel drive car for the sake of rear wheel drive.

And I have to say, each day without a slide is a lost day
:mrgreen::thumbsup::banana:

Mine's way better than each of their shitboxes though - a 20 year old Merc 190E 2,6 for 1500 Euros.

Explain this bit to me please. Biodiesel is still diesel and still undergoes a standard combustion reaction with CO2 as a byproduct. You still produce emissions, you just don't consume fossil fuels directly.

Yeah but some biodiesel is made from plants, which absorb CO2 from the atmosphere. Sure it's not carbon neutral or even close, but it's better than nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

There is a whole other argument that growing crops to make fuel takes away from land to grow food crops and leads to people starving. But that's anothing thing.

"Shit" is officially PG-level swearing in the UK - you need to go stronger if you want a gratuitous 12A/12 certificate in the cinema/on video.

Hrm...

I asked because, in the past on TG, as I recall, "shit" was always censored, because they're (usually) on before the watershed. But yet, this time, it was left in. A bit strange, I thought. Unless the standards for TV there have been loosened over the years.

A bit late with my 'review.'

Why did they feel the need to do another RWD cheap car challenge? However I liked the snow race, Olivier Panis' annoyance with the Marina, and Hammond's comment when Olivier passes his failed Scandinavian Flick - "that was that Oliver Penis man again" :)

XFR was good but getting bored of reviews at the track - anyone remember the XJ test to John o' Groats? Something like that would have been fun.

7/10. Good but the pandering to the 8 year old demographic is getting boring especially when you look back to the seasons 5-7 when the balance was so perfect.

a much better episode than last week...I loved the challenge, "what the hell is that shit-box?!" , "there goes that Oliver Penis guy again", Jeremy 'the meddler' and Hammond bumping into Jeremy's car to avoid hitting the Marina...haha, and the news was great, "Jaaaaag!"

Good solid episode. I laughed through most of it. Gave it a 10 for the sole fact that the SIARPC wasnt a total twat this week but instead a woman of outstanding beauty. I always enjoy episodes where they have to buy cars for dirt cheap and are issued a series of challenges.

Why did they feel the need to do another RWD cheap car challenge?

In the earlier cheap car challenges, the focus wasn't so much on driving dynamics but brand value/image/hype. Note that in the Alfa challenge, they would have been allowed to bring a FWD, and James even did.

I agree though that all three of them going for two-door coup?s yet again, and one even for another Porsche 944, was a bad mistake. But that's probably what you're gonna get if you do leave some freedom of decision to these presenters.

If you actually go for a cheap RWD car that you might even want to live with for a while without doing major reconstruction, nobody in their right minds should go for a derelict Porsche pup or a rusted-up piece of Ford junk. And neither for the Beemers that Jezza mentioned when blasting James for choosing the Capri. In my experience, they are usually way overpriced because they are well sought after by a certain clientele.

(Leaving you with an old Merc, a Volvo or a Mazda MPV :lol:)

solid episode, 7 for the show and +1 for Sienna Miller, so 8/10 from me :)

I liked this episode lots :) It was funny, especially the news, even if 'Jaaaaaaaaaaaaag' was said about 3 too many times!!

The carbon monoxide section seemed a bit last minute, but still funny.

Is it me, or did we not get the lap times for XFR or M5?

Overall a good ep, but the jokes are too scripted. I knew they were going to destroy the Marina, but it's still hilarious.

Except for the Marina getting crushed i did not feel any scriptedness during the challenge... some things were prepared, like the sponsorship stickers, but that's all right with me.
Apart from that, even the Capri breaking down the way it did was almost foreseeable. A friend of mine who's a Ford fan went through three 2.3 liter engines with his Capri before finally acceppting that they can't take long stretches at full throttle. The he traded the Capri for a 60's Transit camper.

And I wonder, why Hammond doesn't wear the FG helmet?
As for a reason why he does not wear it on TV: As far as i remember it's a full-face helmet, so you won't see too much of his face while he's wearing it.

Apart from that, not surprinsingly, all has been said about this episode after three days, so just count me as one more who thinks that was one of the best episodes in years - 10/10.

First thing i thought when the piano fell... "Plissken's gonna like that".

Last edited:
Well a much better episode this week, the employee's are still talking about it unlike last weeks.

I liked this one, better than last week anyway. 7/10

I usually like the cheap/old car things. This one wasn't too original but still fun. The XFR was cool. I'd also like to see James review a car next.

Usually don't care for SIARPC but this one was one of the better ones I remember. Had only heard of her once or twice but she was funny and her lap was like watching someone drive in a video game. Being really really good looking helps too.

I liked this episode lots :) It was funny, especially the news, even if 'Jaaaaaaaaaaaaag' was said about 3 too many times!!

The carbon monoxide section seemed a bit last minute, but still funny.

Is it me, or did we not get the lap times for XFR or M5?

Dioxide.

Hrm...

I asked because, in the past on TG, as I recall, "shit" was always censored, because they're (usually) on before the watershed. But yet, this time, it was left in. A bit strange, I thought. Unless the standards for TV there have been loosened over the years.

actually on that note, i've noticed on Dave that whenever James says anything along the lines of "cock" it is always edited out. i've always found it strange how James gets away with it before the 9pm watershed on Sunday episodes and yet the Dave ones still edit it out.

Maybe it's not Dave i know the same versions of the eps are used round the world.
Maybe it's one of the other country's that need it bleeping out and its cheaper just to have one edited version than two.