[13x05] July 19th, 2009

[13x05] July 19th, 2009

• Total voters
10/10

If only because Jeremy mended something and without a hammer.

I was just thinking how they had not put a dent on that Marina when it got dented. ALmost wet myself.

Yes indeedy. Lots of + rep to someone who can chuck me an animated gif so I can add it to the avatar...

Ask and you shall receive:

28vdt8x.jpg

Quite a solid episode

Challenge was pretty decent, not like the cheap porsche one or the coupe-that-isnt-a-porsche one but still ok. Perhaps the cars where to reliable for some funny breakdown parts :p

Jag film was a good, propper review. (doubt it is really as good as the M5 but still a nice car). The whole Jaaaaag-thing was spot on! Jag people are just...well... special kind of people :D

News was funny. Nice james moment and the old honda FRV brought back some nice memories of when they first mentioned it in the news years ago.

SIARPC was ok, really don't care much for that part of the show but its a good halftime break to get a drink and the guest wasn't all that bad.

All in all a pretty strong and solid episode, not the best ever but not even close to being the worst

8/10

oh and I found it quite a nice to see that they gave hammond the motorcycle in the drag bit since he is the one with the twin turbo sports car that will have no problem reaching 62 and break back to 0 in 200 meters, I bet you they wouldn't have used a bike if he was the one with the capri :p

fixed for you

Also, i think jezza should be worried about being taken over from the back by james may for being the most funny guys in the news section

Last edited:
Just one quick point: this episode has the best soundtrack of any previous Top Gear, period. (Mostly because I managed to recognize/have almost all the songs on there!)

Up above, someone wisely pointed out that it seems like the days of series 4-7 again, and I have to agree. I get the feeling that when you give Top Gear a bucketful of money, they'll find a way to spend it. Yes, in the end the photography will be magnificent and there will be an epic chase.

But this week, the guys showed that you don't have to have a bucketful of money to make great television. Every single moment was entertaining. I'd wager that those three, no four, cars together didn't cost what one of their airline tickets to Africa did.

I'm starting to get the feeling that given access to too much money, the locales seem to overshadow the writing, the content that makes the show Top Gear. You don't have to go to Vietnam to write well. Those shows were great, yes, but when you get back to the original concept of three guys mucking around in cars, loving a new fast model, and generally giving each other hell, well, that's TV....that's Top Gear.

And I, for one, am glad it's back.

9 out of 10

Good post. I agree about the budget thing. TopGear is great when they don't try too hard and just let things happen.

I just started watching this episode, and my first thought is:

HOW THE FRICK DID HAMMOND GET A 300ZX twin turbo for $3000?!! And only 100K miles!

Dang, I wish I could find a deal like that in our crappy used car market.

Now I can see an effort to bring the programme to its original format! It's not as good as it used to be, but at least it's about cars, and no one clowns around. And I appreciate that, the revolting bit is gone :rolleyes:

RWD Challenge was good, might have been missing some elements that made past challenges great, but I still enjoyed it.

The Jaguar XF has to be the best looking car in the world today. The R performs so well, too. I saw a regular XF the other day. It's hard not to stare.

Sienna Miller seemed to talk fast and not say anything, but she's nice to look at. ;)

9/10

9/10 98% A +

I have to apologize once again for not having the time to read all of the reviews.

Had all the magic that should be Top Gear. The smashing of things wasn't just a spit in the face at poor people, nor was it done is a stupid and unfunny way. Interesting cars, a proper comparison test on the track, a good SIARPC. I'm sure some Morris Marina Men will write some very poor reviews of this show! :lol:

This episode was a true return to form after a disappointing couple of weeks. The challenge had everything, good cars, lots of mishaps, etc. The news was probably the best its been since season 10 or so, and the greenhouse gas bit was perfect. But the XFR review was quite simply jaw-droppingly good. I've never wanted to drive/own a car so bad after a review in my life, and the racing with the M5 was just tits. The only thing holding this episode back from being a 10 is the lack of a truly dramatic ending like some of the races were. If this is where the rest of the season is headed after a slight lull, I can't wait.

SO much better than last week. Totally night and day difference. I don't think there was a particularly bad moment in this episode. I even enjoyed the CO2 bit, just because it was a nice quick hit of something completely offbeat.

Sienna Miller did amazingly well for having never driven a stick shift before. Had she had a bit better braking and cornering around the second to last corner and Gambon, she could've actually been fairly high up on the lap times.

I was rather surprised at how effusive they were about the XFR. It is a rare Top Gear review where they really can't find a bad thing to say about a car.

I loved it. It did really feel like older TG episodes. The CO2 bit did run a bit longer than necessary, but it was still good. Sienna Miller- talk about impressive. The RWD challenge was great. Loved Hamster's rant on the Marina. Oliver (Penis) Panis and his name for the Marina. Definitely one I will watch again and again. 10/10

I have been to the Morris Marina forums, http://www.morrismarina.org.uk/
I can report that the Morris owner's club claim to have already had their revenge "... I was the last clansman at Ecosse to drive the car and can confirm that it drove beautiful and James May has sat on a seat that I have farted on! :D

Sean"

the episode was absolutely brilliant. though i didn't quite get the whole joke with the jaag!!! i guess its a british thing anybody care to explain. Jeremey epically failed the green house test, and sienna miller was a stunner and quite a guest on the show. i loved how the they kept on calling that car the " what is that shit box".