[13x07] August 2nd, 2009

[13x07] August 2nd, 2009

• Total voters
I thought the show was really good. The news, cool wall and VW ad were funny.

I have to admit it made me think. I don't believe it signals the end of Top Gear, particularly given Jeremy's comments in his Times Comment colum today about all the stuff they are perparing for TG live.

I do however think it was an incredibly stylish and poignant way to wrap up both a fun/silly episode and the best series in a while. They might not be able to make VW commercials, but they sure as hell know how to make great television.

Couldn't of said it better myself. It was beautifully done.

Does anyone know where they filmed that? I would love to go there.. it looks so nice..

Overall it was a good episode. Those Aussie cars are fantastic and the Scirocco beautiful! Cool Wall seemed rushed and what was with the Aston film? Gorgeous car and countryside (where was that BTW?), but was very depressing. Not the Top Gear I know where there are lots of explosions.

Jeremy's first ad was brilliant, just some big explosion, and then shows the Sirroco. The Vantage V12 film is interesting, I really hope it's not the end of TG. But anyways, what he said was right, we're at the last generation of fast cars. With all the environmental laws, sooner or later all we can buy are Priuses.

Great laughs in there and some lesser stuff too.

I too missed the truck toppling over :-/ maybe next series

the vantadge .. yeah bad ending, especially after the whole funreal thingy

September may be when all things go down hill.. watch the US dollar, watch Iran being bullied by the same warmongering twerps.. ah well, lets hope TG comes back and we're al still ok

Last edited:
What to Brits call it when a show comes to an end?

I ask, because here we call it a "season." When 24 goes off the air for a few months, the last episode before the break is called a "Season Finale." When a show like Cheers comes to an end, it's called the "Series Finale."

Whenever I hear Top Gear say "It's the last show of the series" it always makes me nervous.

Absolutely sounded like it was the end of TG altogether, although fingers crossed there'll be many more seasons from the lads.. Great episode, also. The last film was just magic.

I can't stop watching the VW advertisements, one of the funniest things I've seen on top Gear in a long time! Every time I see that speedometer lazily drifting below 30 mph (at 5000 rpm!) with that hardcore guitar throbbing in the background, I'm in stitches :D The cool wall was the only weakness in the episode, in my opinion, since it was so obviously staged. But overall, what a great episode, best of the season!

Mystery Ending

Mystery Ending

The ending to tonight's show was very mysterious (season 13 episode7). I had mixed feelings about it. Excellent review by Richard and a nice twist with the advertisement bit with james and clarkson. However I'm befudled with the ending. It made me ahhh at the scenery and such excitement from the car. Although with that being said I didn't understand the message. I eventually want to come to some sort of conclusion to what Jeremy was getting at but I'm very puzzled! :?

Why would it be the end? Obviously the end of the series but not the car right? He mentioned this and I quote "I just had this horrible dreadful feeling that what i'm drving here...is an ending!" An end? What!!! No more supercars are they all great supercars? Have the supercars become that amazing? Did he have such an epiphany that none of us can understand? Is it that Aston Martin is no longer going to be making the vantage anymore? Have they decided to not put it into production any longer? I believe from the racing photographs in the back ground it has to do with racing heritage but its very difficult to put each peiece of the message together. The images were ford gts! Help me out here! :blink:

Watch series 14 start with Jeremy picking up that Aston review where it left off, saying GOTCHA!, and thrashing it around the track. :lol:

I just registered here because of the last episode as well...I have watched every episode of new TG ever, and I have to say, after watching the Aston segment, I started to become a bit emotional. A very sad depiction of the world economy state right now as well as a proper farewell for the series' end. I hope Jeremy's wrong though...I want to own a supercar in the future!:cry:

Oh no! Jeremy clarkson says cars have reached a pinnicle, and because of economic and political pressure, cars will be crap from now on, oh no! But wait, where have i heard this before?

Oh right! It was on top gear every time clarkson dragged the veyron on screen... 4 years ago...

Unprofessional way to end a series, i still havent gotten over "you dont know, you werent there maaaaan!

Thinking about it some more, I think the Aston film brought out the emotions I think we all feel when we consider that the wonderfully fast and powerful cars we see on Top Gear may only be with us for a few more years. With new environmental regulations and such, a Scirocco diesel will be today's V12 Vantage. The common cars of 25 years from now may just be 80hp sneeze boxes.

Don't mean to be depressing. Carry on.

Watch series 14 start with Jeremy picking up that Aston review where it left off, saying GOTCHA!, and thrashing it around the track. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing! It will be a joke just to keep our attention to the show without losing interest you know? Another way to say "don't forget" ending. I don't think its a proper joke though to pull on TG's viewers. Yeah we like the show its entertaining but don't go having us worry!!! ;)

Thinking about it some more, I think the Aston film brought out the emotions I think we all feel when we consider that the wonderfully fast and powerful cars we see on Top Gear may only be with us for a few more years. With new environmental regulations and such, a Scirocco diesel will be today's V12 Vantage. The common cars of 25 years from now may just be 80hp sneeze boxes.

Don't mean to be depressing. Carry on.

:cry: I never thought of it that way. I mean like some of you have said already I too would like to own a car like that and not a "sneeze box". Nice noun there.

If this wasn't the end of the show, I can't imagine how they're going to top that film when it does wrap up.

What to Brits call it when a show comes to an end?

I ask, because here we call it a "season." When 24 goes off the air for a few months, the last episode before the break is called a "Season Finale." When a show like Cheers comes to an end, it's called the "Series Finale."

Whenever I hear Top Gear say "It's the last show of the series" it always makes me nervous.

In Brit-speak, "series" = "season". So consider this the season finale. (They'll be back in November sometime.)

As I was reading through the thread a bit and reading some of the bits of doom being sprouted, I had a brainwave (which Streak ended up hitting on as well, I see).

The Anyway Policy

I think the lot of you know what I mean by that. For those who don't, a brief explanation.

For the last several years, our boys have had a long-standing agreement that, should one of them die at any time, the surviving two presenters would carry on. First, they would make mention of the death (they'd have to); but the next word out of their mouths has to be "Anyway!". And they would move on. (Of course, this almost happened three years ago. Plus, if you've been paying attention, the boys have demonstrated the Anyway Policy quite a bit both last series and this one.)

The Aston film--which did leave me a bit heavy and stunned, I must say--is the death announcement (not to mention, IMO, an uber-bombshell of an ending to any season/series of the show). The intro to 14x01 is going to be their "Anyway!" moment. Then they'll go back to the cocking about and whathaveyou that we've become accustomed to. (And, yes, I do think the Aston V12 will have a go around the track.)

:+1: to both Wyvern and Scorch. :)

In other news...

I loved the Bathurst and Ute review. Someone mentioned that the latter looks like an El Camino. It does! It totally does!

The Scirocco advert stuff was a bit drawn out, I think, though it did have its moments. (James in specs!)

The Cool Wall segment reminded me a bit of the one from 9x04--particularly when Jeremy took a chainsaw to it after Richard tried to put the Ducatti motorcycle on it. Or even 11x02's, to a lesser degree (Jeremy ripping Richard's microphone off). Methinks our Hamster tried to dish out some sweet revenge...but then ended up failing. Typical TG. :) (I have to agree that his Radio Lancashire pic counts as Seriously Uncool, though. Maybe even beyond that...like Fiat Panda-esque.)

Leno... Yep. Should've been longer. Hope there'll be some uncut bits online.

As for all the rest of the stuff...hello?! Can you say "holdovers"? Chances are, you'll see them next season/series!

PS: My rating would be 8.5/10; but I've rounded it up to 9.

Last edited: