[13x07] August 2nd, 2009

[13x07] August 2nd, 2009

• Total voters
The ending with the Vantage is why Top Gear and especially Jeremy Clarkson are absolutely brilliant. Just when you expect some traditional Aston Martin review with Jezza shouting "Powah!", they create something that is truly stunning and poetic.

I don't know if it's just me, not being from the UK, but there is something about british tv series which make them so unique. They manage to be both fantasticly funny on one end and on the other, beautifuly gripping.
It reminded me alot of the end of Blackadder Goes Forth, which also almost brought a tear to my eye.

I cant help but get the feeling thats the end of top gear though :(

Was a good epp but the Aston bit at the end got me worried now - And for that i give it an 8

Bloody hell... !, :?

I've just finish to watch the Episode.. and I had feeling, like... "that's all folks", It's over... (Top gear Ended!, ceased, cancelled, don't know...) (I mean for ever...)

And then I saw here that I was not the only one who had the same obscure and terrible things in his mind... And then I've checked the Topgear site aswell. So I've calm down.. but ... aahh!!!

Anyway to the Ep.:

But somehow.. the Aston film was really strange...

The Episode was good!, Jay Leno was in my opinion, one of the bests SIARPC. A truly Petrolhead (the biggest one??)! :banana:

Coolwall:...was nice to have it again!, and the finalwith the Hammond pictures on the Seriously Uncool, and Hammond "upstairs" :D:D

I normally really like when Jezza and James do films together.. (This 2 are really funny together) I've ROLFMAO when I saw the Commie cars film... this one though... don't know.. maybe I should watch it again tomorrow, perhaps I'll really find it more funny... (I really liked May's video with the "Mother in law" thing :lol:)

Take care and have a nice Week!!!

Last edited:
I can't believe I forgot to write this before. They got the whole Shumi/F1 thing into the news after all! That was announced pretty darn late in the afternoon the day of filming. I'm impressed. No one can say that bit was scripted.

They've left so much out that was in the season preview, as awesome as an episode this was I wish they could have squeezed content for one more show.

Oh well. :(

I've given this episode a 10. I think this is the best episode of Top Gear i've ever watched.

I've always said the show should have a good mix of cocking about and actual car reviews, and this was spot on with that mix in my view. Even the VW cocking about segment actually reviewed the car to a certain extent.

I've never laughed so hard at Top Gear when i saw those VW ads. They were f*cking hilarious. Who wants to bet that there will be some complaints about how they were giving VW massive free publicity on this? Even down to making ads with proper VW logos and fonts. I guarantee some complaints about this, probably from a Liberal Democrat MP who wants some publicity!

I've never been a massive fan of Jay Leno but i enjoyed SIARPC.

Now that final bit.... I'm in two minds about it. It certainly made me gulp, but it did feel a bit forced. If they'd had made that segment a full car review, lasting about 5-10 minutes then ended on that sad note, it would have been a truly great moment for the series. You know how in the specials at the end you get the montage of the show as it has just happened with Jeremy saying 'These started as lumps of metal but they took us on a journey and brought us closer together as friends...', those kind of speeches really work. But they did the whole show with laughter and fun then crowbarred that bit in at the end, it just didn't feel right.

I'm also not entirely sure what the point of it was. Clarkson makes the point at least once a series saying how cars won't always be like this. The Veyron review comes to mind, he even ended the show with a similar comment.

I'd actually like to know why they did that bit. What were they thinking? And i don't mean that in a negative GOD WHAT WERE THEY THINKING way, i just would like to know why they did it.

Anyways reading some of these comments saying the show was mediocre, even some saying that it's close to ending. I think that's b****cks, i think it's getting better every series, and this series especially was just top notch!

That's All Folks
That's series 13 done and dusted, but don't worry we'll be back with a brand new series soon.
( http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/ )

But that's ending was superb, it felt like they've ended the series, and it was also beautifully filmed.

What an utterly wonderful episode, this was!
Perfect in every way, there was not a thing I did not like.
Very sad ending but beautifully made.
This is the new reference.

PS: the Holden pick-up reminded me of the ol? Chevrolet El Camino, nice!
PPS: Damn, those black Jaguars look badass! In the final frame of Jeremy?s funeral ad, the way they were placed, angled, all aggressive, resembles the way felines move in for the kill after having cornered the prey.

10 for me just because of that V12 piece. Bathurst was great, Volkswagen ad was hilarious, but somehow I don't think they'd be that foolish - unless they just plain didn't think about it! :lol: That, or they were just plain arrogant and didn't care :D It felt a little like they were just trying to get a reaction out of the ad guys, but I'm beyond caring these days. No point deconstructing it over and over, might as well enjoy it as it lasts.

Aston segment had amazing cinematography but made little sense.

Made a whole load of sense to me, like when Clarkson on the AMG CLK Black, Top Gear is about the right car, on the right road. It was more of an expressionist film. To me, it perfectly embodies the spirit of driving. Feeling free as time and miles pass you by as you sit in your little metal machine. But the main point was that the age of the petrol powered, fuel guzzling super and hyper cars are numbered. It was the perfect car to make that point - that there was no point reviewing it, especially when we've heard Jeremy go on wax lyrical about Aston Martins. But seeing the car in that magnificent landscape left me awestruck. It's like all the annoyances of too much cocking about just melted away within that one film, because it just reminded me about how much Jeremy cares about cars, and indeed every other person that works on the show.

I wouldn't be angry if Top Gear ended forever on that note. Best way to finish a season, ever. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

Last edited:
Now that final bit.... I'm in two minds about it. It certainly made me gulp, but it did feel a bit forced. If they'd had made that segment a full car review, lasting about 5-10 minutes then ended on that sad note, it would have been a truly great moment for the series. You know how in the specials at the end you get the montage of the show as it has just happened with Jeremy saying 'These started as lumps of metal but they took us on a journey and brought us closer together as friends...', those kind of speeches really work. But they did the whole show with laughter and fun then crowbarred that bit in at the end, it just didn't feel right.

I think I'm of the exact opposite opinion; if they had drawn it out to a normal length car review, then it could very well have been a "this is the end of TG" thing. I think the film was the appropriate length considering the message he was trying to deliver. It certainly got a lot of people thinking and wondering, didn't it?

Aston-ishing fenomenal ending to a brilliant episode and a great series.

It actually looked like it was the ending of Top Gear. That last bit was unbelievable great to witness on my screen.

It was a decent episode, I agree with others here that the ad part went on too long. The Leno interview was too short and hacked up. Hopefully they will have the full thing on-line.

And that ending...I felt strange inside, I was touched by it and never before has a car bit touched me..it was absolutely breathtaking.. it was 4 minutes of brilliance and pure car loving emotion..I almost bleedin cried..

Couldn't agree more.

And what I find ironic is that here in America...the government is sponsoring a program that is destroying cars left and right in an effort to get everyone into a cracker box.

I just cannot watch the YouTube videos of the car engines being destroyed.

I loved the ending... the museum like collection of cars Jay has with the V12 Vantage film following after was a great & touching moment. It's not a bombshell ending, rather it's a sorrow good bye and a reminder that it's not all fun and games. The car era seems to be coming to an end. And while I'd like to hope there will be interesting things coming out of the future; as of now I just see Hyundises taking over. And there's nothing fun & exciting about that.

Could anyone explain the steak and kidney lock opener reference? I didn't get it.

The end was fantastic though. Wow.