[13x07] August 2nd, 2009

[13x07] August 2nd, 2009

• Total voters
That last review was better than any other in my opinion. Got the message and the truth out there.

Another thing about the ending: the latest Transmission Blog shows this picture of Jeremy while the credits are rolling from inside the studio:

series13ends_blog2.jpg

What's that supposed to mean??? :(

it seems like the audience is laughing in the background, perhaps he said something stupid/embarrassing?

I'm going to give it a 9/10 90%

While I found the VW ads to be quite funny, they used up way too much time in the show, which made everything following that segment feel like it was just jammed in and cut short. It would almost have been better to cut the VW ads down a bit and lengthen the cool wall and/or the Jay Leno interview. Had this show not had such a unique air of quality to it, I would have scored it even lower but, the films and the scripts were well done and didn't lack flow as some of the other shows of this series did.

I liked the video of the V12 Vantage at the end, great use of scenery, music, iconic images of cars from the past (loved the sneaking in of the DB5), however, I think that if the V12 Vantage isn't put around the track in series 14 for a lap time, all the members of the production staff at Top Gear will deserve to be castrated. Edit: and the presenters, can't forget them!

Quality show, keep up the good work! (and come to the US Vintage Grand Prix at Watkins Glen this year)

Last edited:
The hammond review was probably the best in the series, well done!!!

I liked the series a lot, I loved how they tested many sorts of cars, sexy explosions, piano droppings, challenges w/ old cars and so forth.

But yes the ending did strike me as an odd way of signing off. Simple way is to take JC's words at face value - could it really be true that days of high-powered brash rwd screamers are coming to an end, and future holds politically correct, environment friendly and therefore bland products? If car executives will start looking at line-up of cars as "product portfolios" then yes I'd be quite exasperated. But why choose Aston Martin Vantage V12 for this particular segment? Why not some other sports car? When I think of AM I think of fluidity, honesty, passion, soul, excitement, but also a car which puts one into a thinking-about-life-in-grander-terms mode. There was no talk about suspension, horsepower, comfort, smoothness of gearbox, feel of the clutch, just "it is fantastic, but it makes me said because of what's going on in the world" It's not about the Vantage, it's not about cars, it's about fill-in-the-blank???

But can I dig a little deeper and find a bit of pessimism? Perhaps it's not just about cars, but our personal freedoms, ways of life, factors which positively or negatively influence our actions? Are we not that far off from further being treated as citizens who must be submissive to everything that our governments throw at us? I see people more than ever, desperately striving to be accepted by others, rather than remain independent, rebellious thinkers. I see continuous increase in neurotic and paranoid behavior, back-stabbing, jealousy, and other disturbing trends. However, my analysis could be way-off, I got this all wrong, and I should just have alcohol, a fairly long session of sex (not alone), and some drugs to bring my mood about to a more positive state.

At any rate, between now and end of the year when TG comes back, I think we'll see more of a downturn in the world, and perhaps that's what the message was.

I loved the Scirocco segment. I actually think that marketers are clueless. I find Jeremy's and James' commercials to be way more stimulating and would attract me to the product more. Before I go any further I have to say, I don't like marketing people, HR people, PR people and chief economists working for major banks who make "all is rosy" appearances on financial networks. Marketing goofballs make commercials which are so cold and clinical and condescending that I get simply turned off and change the channel. All you need for a car commercial is a hairpin, a pretty girl with ta-tas, rpms in high range and explosions not too far behind. But "From Berlin to Warsaw in one tank" was brilliant.

Have German manufacturers started recognizing Poland on their GPS systems yet? Fifth Gear tested a diesel 6-series which had difficulty doing so.

Last edited:
loved it all the way through.

and since everyone has touched on this

yes the ending did feel like an ending of top gear.

but we all know that JC would not let that happen without a lot of explosions.

top gear studio....kaboom :)

Jeremy Clarckson, during the news did say "No more cars to test 'til November on the track" when talking about Michael Stigmacher.

I think we're safe.

Chevrolet is Holden's American Counterpart, and the El Camino was GM's attempt at selling the Ute in the U.S.

GM is Holden's American Counterpart to be more exact and yes they own Chevrolet(amongst others). the Holden Commodore for example is sold in America as a Pontiac G8 and the Monaro was sold as a Pontiac GTO. while in south Africa the ute is sold as a Chevvy.
they did plan to sell the latest ute apparently but with the big crash that was canceled in January.

I'm not sure how I feel right now.

I loved the series as a whole, but I don't think that this is the thread to go over all that now.

It's just about this one episode, and I'm kinda torn. I loved it for the most part, but that last bit with the Aston... It kinda brought me down. I understand where they're coming from, but it seems like an odd way to end the series to me. Top Gear has always made me feel better, even lately when they talk about all those horrible things that are going on. Even then I can laugh about it, and everything seems better for a bit and I can forget about it all and just watch things go fast and explode. But that ending made me really sad. I'm actually tearing up while I'm typing this. I know the show isn't over, but that's not really the problem, and... I don't know what it is...

I usually go through now and watch episodes a second time before I go to bed, but I think if I did that right now I'd start sobbing or something. Maybe if I sleep on it I'll feel better.

cvector <-- I know, it was going to be called the "Pontiac G8 Sport Truck"... I thought it was cool... But I guess GM thought it wasn't marketable in the U.S. I bet it would have flown out of dealerships had they made it a Chevrolet and called it "El Camino"...

Trollbooth is on the money.

Ilpav - It will be a photoshop from a news segment.

I laughed endlessly at the commercials, as well the news.. just did it for me, the VXR reviews were great and LOUD, SIARPC was very nice, Leno is a great guy, Cool Wall..well..the short man got the the tall man, then the tall man gave him the V sing metaforically speaking =)..

And that ending...I felt strange inside, I was touched by it and never before has a car bit touched me..it was absolutely breathtaking.. it was 4 minutes of brilliance and pure car loving emotion..I almost bleedin cried..

The message it delivered..about cars like the Aston being more and more endangered and the sensation of free driving as well with all the hippi junk about being green and needing to be driven in an automatic box made of glass..
And that as a young person frightens me..I see Clarkson and the boys having the time of their lives in cars...I want to do that one day..like them..but that film just made me thnik..what if...that never happens to me..?

Top Gear WILL AND MUST be back for S14, which will probably be a great one..since this was 13 the unlucky one..maybe that is why so many of you didn't like it..

I had the exact same feeling! i don't even have my driving licence yet, i don't want all the fun to be over before i start! :(

some say isle of man, some say yorkshire, where was the endings scene with the aston filmed? cause it's absolutely breath-taking over there! i want to go see it for myself now!

I couldn't stop laughing at the way they pronouced Bathurst on the show. Bathurst edition is also a pretty stupid name for the car considering force induction is banned from v8 super cars.

Loved to V12 Vantage segment, SIARPC segment with Leno was fine too. And Cool Wall back was good though they could had made it a bit longer. New's also quite good eventhough they didn't even talk about jezza's beatbox :( Barthurst amazing but didn't really care about the Maloo... The advertising bit funny and normal TG sillyness. In conclusion quite bad for season finale, expected mutch better but still a good one.

I couldn't stop laughing at the way they pronouced Bathurst on the show. Bathurst edition is also a pretty stupid name for the car considering force induction is banned from v8 super cars.

pretty sure the pronunciation was a joke, and they may have named it after the GT races

can't believe the criticism at the ep though, i thought it was absolutely amazing, this had me cracking up:

http://img14.imageshack.**/img14/1481/26402435.png:lol::lol::lol: