Someone Else's Problem: 14ft of sensibleness...? My '11 VW Eos

Behold, my new Gummipen?kel have arrived!

New on the left, old on the right. You can tell they're badly deformed and some holes are ripped.

Speaking of ripped holes, I've bought some special lube :wicked:

Oh no, on the windshield as well! How will you ever deal with it?

Speaking of ripped holes, I've bought some special lube :wicked:

I actually used "normal" lube when reassembling the Kadett.

You have to do all that just to keep your car from turning into a collander? Wow. Wonder why I haven't heard of any other make or model of convertible that needed this treatment.

Because most convertibles just don't need it :rolleyes:

Of course not many cars have as complex roof system as the EOS. I guess each to his/her own on the up and downsides.

You have to do all that just to keep your car from turning into a collander? Wow. Wonder why I haven't heard of any other make or model of convertible that needed this treatment.

Well, in principle it's done during servicing at VW, but that's usually not enough. It won't go leaky on its own, the car in the vwvortex thread is a very early one with faulty seals - those were updated a bit before the facelift. The only thing happening now without lube is that it can become rattly. If for some reason you have deformed seals somewhere like the vwvortex car had near the sunroof then it'll leak even with the updated seals, but that applies to every car in principle, especially sunroofed cars. This magic gunk supposedly revitalises the seal so it returns to its original shape.

I'm just being careful, nothing's leaking.

As for other models not needing this particular lube, that's due to special low-friction Sipiol coating on the Eos seals to keep them sealed tightly but still quiet when the car inevitably flexes.

Because most convertibles just don't need it :rolleyes:

Of course not many cars have as complex roof system as the EOS. I guess each to his/her own on the up and downsides.

Yeah... however, the non-magic-seals Beetle I had last year started to leak badly around the A-pillars above 120km/h or so, which my Eos doesn't do. If all it takes is some lube after cleaning the seals twice a year or so, I'm fine with that :dunno:

Last edited:
I hope it only chewed the hood insulation and left the wiring alone. Time to invest in a marder-warnanlage?

Last edited:
:nod: an ultrasonic Marderabwehrger?t is already ordered. So far I haven't found damage beyond the insulation :|

good thing you caught it eating just that, Ive heard stories of them chewing through brakelines...
does the ultrasonic crap really work? and since it has its own battery usually, how does one know the battery is dead? other than pressing the brake pedal and noticing nothing is happening, ideally

Last edited:
good thing you caught it eating just that, Ive heard stories of them chewing through brakelines...
does the ultrasonic crap really work? and since it has its own battery usually, how does one know the battery is dead? other than pressing the brake pedal and noticing nothing is happening, ideally

The Fabia had bite marks in the ignition wires... causing them to discharge against the engine block under full throttle, no fun. There's an ultrasonic thingy in there with unchanged parking habits and no new incident yet. That's connected to the car's battery, and supposedly draws single-digit mAs, lower than the battery's self discharge.

Also, it's not eating - it's destroying the territory of a foreign animal. Park here, territory gets marked (= it pisses in your engine bay)... park elsewhere, other animal smells intruder, goes berserk.

Last edited:
What is this "it" you have in Germany that eats cars? :blink:

Ah, I see. Yeah, we have its relatives, but never heard of them being that fond of cars :) I've only heard a couple of stories of mice nesting in engine bays.

I wouldn't mind nesting that much... in this case, it's territorial fights. I presume I have one marten at home and a different one at work. One leaves his marks, I drive into the other territory meaning my car becomes an intruder. Hence it must be bitten, not eaten though.

I'm of course sorry for your car and hope there's no other damage, but in a way that's really interesting and fascinating behavior: mother nature coping with humans.

Apparently no further damage by my furry nemesis... A game of spot the difference? :nod:

Okay, way too easy - I hereby declare winter over! :cool: