[14x02] November 22nd, 2009

[14x02] November 22nd, 2009

• Total voters
i loved it, and i can't understand why people didn't like this ep? sure that electric thing was rubbish and ugly, but c'mon, didn't you laugh at the crash test, have you got any sense of humour people? god i hate critics and criticism, it was a great episode, it was a great "head-to-head" review with the vette and an R8 v10, and usually i don't watch SIARPC so often and i don't know who is Michael Sheen, but it was interesting to watch, as well as his lap, don't know why, though.

you can hate me but i say 10 out of 10. in my very humble opinion :)

News segment was the best part of the entire episode for me, which is really unfortunate.

It was definitely a downhill from last week's epi.

I gave it a 6/10 but really now that I think about it's probably a 7.

Wow, I?m genuinely shocked that so many people found this episode funny. I can only imagine you're either new to Top Gear or new to comedy...

The Geoff segment was about the most painfully awful thing I?ve ever seen, and I?m a big Top Gear fan. It just seems after 14 seasons they've somehow removed any and all cleverness from the script and now continually resort to shouting at one another and being complete farcical idiots.

Look, I do like the occasional ridiculous challenge (see 08x03), where not only is the challenge unpredictable, but where we get to laugh 'with' the presenters, not just at them. I think someone needs to remind them that the Top Gear mantra is 'Ambitious but Rubbish', not 'Ambitiously Rubbish'.

Oh, and whoever it is who keeps adding the fake 'tooting horns' in the traffic jam scenes should be taken outside and shot.

Wow, I?m genuinely shocked that so many people found this episode funny. I can only imagine you're either new to Top Gear or new to comedy... .

Nah, some of us are not new to TG or comedy, we are just childish, and therefore we fall for childish jokes :D

I thought the episode was fantastic, I hadn't laughed so hard for a while. It seemed very well thought out. However, I can see why some people didn't like it, possibly due to the amount of cocking about?

I have to say, the slow motion part where they had to drive into a wall was the best moment - genius :D.

10/10

I hated Geoff. Worst piece of Top Gear in years.
3/10

Go back and watch the TGA electric car piece and you'll give it an 8. ;)

The Audi Corvette piece was THE most inspired piece of editing I've ever seen ever. Ever. The bit where the little cars became the indicator was bloody astonishing.

The goalposts have been moved yet agin. The TopGear cutters are the best in the business. FullFrikkinStop.

:)

Last edited:
The Audi Corvette piece was THE most inspired piece of editing I've ever seen ever. Ever. The bit where the little cars became the indicator was bloody astonishing.

It's an effect that is easy to make if you have a little experience editing video though.
But yeah, nicely done. I wonder how it would've looked like if Jezza did it :p

It's an effect that is easy to make if you have a little experience editing video though.

With respect, that's bullshit.

You're confusing art with process.

Yes, the mechanical process of the effect is simple, but it's the originality and uniqueness of the effect that delivers the magic.

;)

Wow, this was bad. I've seen every episode of Top Gear and this is first one that doesn't make me want to save it.

FFS guys, if you're out of ideas just drive around various countries. Challenges like this suck.

You are actually so right about the beautiful editing on the R8 film. When it started it was all very swirly and I started thinking 'Oh god, this section's editing is going to look like a Rorschach test, I won't get to see the cars properly!' but they fully redeemed themselves with the rest of the film which was sublime. I actually said 'wow' out load at the headlight part.

Really, I should have given it an 8 just for that. It was art!

With respect, that's bullshit.

You're confusing art with process.

Yes, the mechanical process of the effect is simple, but it's the originality and uniqueness of the effect that delivers the magic.

;)

Well, its an effect I have seen many times before.
I have never seen it done with the LED-lining like that tho, so I guess its sort of unique.

I think it was very entertaining.. but nothing special.

Gave it a 5 and that's being generous.

The R8 vs Vette bit simply lacked something, especially as their comments on the R8 are kinda 'known' by now even though it has a new engine. The SIARPC didn't do it for me this time, the guy's just not interesting.

On the electric car; for ONCE, if only once, I'd LOVE for them to stop copy&pasting the "cocking about being rubbish and scripted" and actually do something decent (while still entertaining). They could have gone bonkers, either by making it very fast, which is easy, and then pit it against some real cars in a drag race or make an electric 4x4 and take it into the countryside. Anything but the "been there a thousand times" crap crap.

Meh.

It wasn't as good as last weeks episode but it wouldn't say it was completely rubbish,
electric car bit was less good then I expected but still worth a laugh, crash tests etc. wasn't something they'd done before (not that I remember atleast)
Didn't see much from Michael Sheen's interview because of the large quantities of hotness in the audience :lol:
But once again congratulations to the film crew, they did a wonderful job on the R8 vs ZR1 and made up for the lack of content.

7/10

I gave it a 7 out of 10. I liked all the bits outside of the electric car. It felt so forced. REALLY the exhaust came out like 5 times. Just tack weld it in place. But the SIARPC was great, not Stephen Fry but excellent. The R8 vs ZR1 was good, but late. I like how TG is normally ahead of the curve on road tests. But still it was good, and the style was nice.

Autocar has video review of the car on youtube.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfNfwNWWphI[/youtube]

Drawing penis on Jeremy's face...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well we know what will be edited out for the "neutered" version shown on BBC America, whenever it will be shown on BBC-A. On average about 16 minutes are cut out of every episode so that commercials can be shown on BBC-A. And BBC-A is always about 3 to 4 series behind.

Overall I loved the episode, since even a bad episode of Top Gear is better than any car program here in the States, but it was not in their top tier of shows. I loved the R8 vs the ZR1 but the first portion of Geoff was somewhat lacking for me. I guess it was because I have doubts that Jezza, Hammy, and May actually built the electric car completely themselves. I'm sure they were in on the design and did some of the fabrication but the whole build time surely took longer than they had time for. This was in contrast to the Reliant Robin Space Shuttle, the stretched limos, and the Mini rocket car, whereas they showed hired engineers and mechanics helping them build the cars. And all the trouble they got into while driving around on the street was to obviously scripted.

The track tests, namely the crash tests, made up for the first part.:mrgreen:

Overall though I would give it an 8.5/10.

Drawing a penis on somebodies face is not funny. You gotta do better than that. We expect more from top gear. The humour was silly, laden with forced sexuality, and not very good.

Why don't you take your red blobs and go find somewhere else to play?

You are not going to convince people you are right and they are stupid for enjoying the show presented to us.

In the 8 yr old world the TG 3 like to live in, drawing a penis on someone's face is pissing funny. And who is this "WE" that are expecting a different kind of humor? Is it the people that think like you and hang around on fan boards for a show they clearly are not enjoying.

It is what it is. The fact it is not going in the direction YOU want is unfortunate for you, but what are your options? Hang around here and keep collecting red blobs until you are banned, or move on and find a new show.