[14x02] November 22nd, 2009

[14x02] November 22nd, 2009

• Total voters
...so what was the car the boys were loitering around outside the Technology Centre (implying it was Jeremy's design) just before the real Geoff rolled out?

ok, this has to be said. The show is called "Top Gear" which implies that it's about cars.... something that the name has been about since the 70s/80s

the cocking about is really only something that appeard in the show about series 7 or so. and in my opinion the light cocking about was ok, but they have now revamped the show to the point where it should be renamed "Top Cock" which would just make more sense at this point.

it's so obvious that they are out of their element doing stuff that isn't cars that even pretending to "cock about" has become an obvious attempt at bad acting. their hearts aren't in it anymore.

long story short, for all those who love the show more for the cocking about then the cars.... it's featuring a motoring journalist.

it's also obvious that only a couple people here read the series overview too, this episode shouldn't have come as a suprise to any. and better ones should follow soon :D

I don't usually post in this section but decided to make an exception. This episode did make me giggle a bit, especially the MIRA vids bit, but I also feel its a long way from what Top Gear should be about.

No doubt Wilman and Clarkson will say "it's always been 3 blokes cocking about" bullshit. IT became that in the last couple of years. Before that it was a funny car show! The humour is too obvious now, too american if you like (not meant as an insult, its just different not better or worse).

English humour is traditionally subtle. Thats why the Stig gag was the best bit of the episode! Would have been very easy to watch that and not "get it", however we are all obsessed and realise it is because the Stig is terrified of stairs.

Someone mentioned "if I was a tall man" in the cheap car episode. Classic!! "Oh no James has bought a henhouse". One of my favourite gags was when Stig was reading the newspaper in the subway and threw away the paper in disgust at the picture of Lewis Hamilton! Brilliantly subtle.

Basically, stop trying to make it funny. The trio are naturally witty, personable and humourous. Come up with a cool idea and let them at it. Don't try and INJECT humour into the scenario, its obvious and forced.

I'm finding this episode really difficult to review.

I've watched it twice now, laughed like a drain both times, found it pretty much as entertaining as episode 14x01 but... I'm not completely sure what it was supposed to be.

So I'm not going to get into analysing it too much. I enjoyed it, and that's the bottom line - and to be honest, behind the cocking about, it did get me thinking about the issues involved in designing something like Geoff. It wasn't the programme content itself, so much as the peripheral stuff on the Autocar website that got me thinking (apart from anything else, it got me thinking whether there's time for me to change my final year engineering project at uni...).

The R8 V Corvette segment was thoroughly enjoyable for me. Two cars, one of which (the R8) I have nothing but respect for and the other being a car that sets up a very persistent tingle indeed in my ladyparts. I love Corvettes, and people who know me best on here know that last year I very nearly did something very ridiculous indeed with my mortgage in order to buy a Victory Edition despite not having a driving licence at the time (fortunately common sense prevailed - a bit - and I bought a Triumph Herald instead). It could have done with being a bit longer, but it was beautifully shot and edited, and it made me smile. And if these head-to-head reviews are the way of things this series, at least it gets more cars in.

But returning for a moment to the issue of 'tingles', I'm really surprised by the reaction to the News this week, primarily from people on the other side of the pond. The word 'penis' is not restricted to use after the watershed. Top Gear has used that particular word on more than one occasion in its regular 8pm slot. You can say 'penis' on British television at any time (although there may be guidance on context) - it is, after all, the correct term for that part of the male anatomy. And again, I laughed my socks off, though not necessarily at James May's penis.

And I was pleasantly surprised by the SIARPC. I have no interest in Twilight, but I like Michael Sheen's other work and he put in a pretty impressive lap. He might not have been one of the best, but he didn't make me want to get up and make a cup of tea.

But here's the problem I'm having. The Romania film in 14x01 and Geoff in this episode each took up too much of the programme. The balance is a bit off. I'm sure the feel of the programme would be very different, and people would have fewer complaints, if the films were edited a little more tightly, allowing more time for the review segment and maybe even another article. I've a feeling the problem is in the edit, rather than the actual content of the episode, to be honest.

So a strange episode, but still one I rate highly simply because it kept me entertained.

8/10

I came close to giving this episode a 7. Somehow, the content was a bit like flat soda. A great show, hilariously funny, with a good car review, it just felt like it could have been better. It's hard to say much more about this episode than that, because the content was very funny.

Edit: When the ZR1 time is posted, and Clarkson said "there's no way", he really reminded me of Jackie Gleason in Smokey and The Bandit.

Last edited:
Not a bad episode. I didn't like how they crashed Geoff, it was too forced. SIRPC segment was fun, the driver did his bit well. And the news, I liked how they set up the jokes, I hope that mustache was genuine.

I give them props for trying an electric car, but everything felt much too scripted to be genuinely funny, I mean come on, who pushes a car to the edge of a hill then says "Oops, how'd we do that?"

I can't download the TG 14*02 .Who can tell me what's happen?

Last edited:
I can't download the TG 14*02 .Who can tell me what's happen?

Look here: http://www.finalgear.com/news/2009/...ly-shuts-down-wont-affect-us-long-term-though

However as it?s Thanksgiving today here in the United States, it?ll be a day or two until we have alternate links available. Please be patient and consider using the ?Video Offers? section of our forums meanwhile. There are MegaUpload and RapidShare links there that you can use.

(and i have to remind you that there is a "no torrent talk"-rule for the Top Gear subforum!)

So so ep but Michael Sheen was great. Reading the last several pages of responses tho, I'm surprised at how many forum ppl dont know who Michael Sheen is, do you guys live under a rock or don't watch mainstream movies?

You guys never watched The Queen with Helen Mirren, Frost/Nixon, or any of the Underworld series movies with Kate Beckinsale?

too childish. i am not happy. there is no that good "feel" anymore.. weird:/

Last edited:
I watched 08x01 last night. The juxtaposition with 14x02 was astounding - and not in a good way for 14x02, IMO.

Hi guys, I'm translating the episode in italian and I'm stuck at the SIARPC segment, when they talk about Sheen's red Orion.

Jezza says something like:

Was that BJ registered around then?

Is that right? What could it mean? :hmm:

She's probably a researcher.

I prefer Nick Dalton the researcher in the Michael Sheen outtake vid! ;)