[14x03] August 25th, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
Five?s flagship motoring magazine show continues, with Tim Shaw joining Vicki Butler-Henderson, Tom Ford, Tiff Needell, Jonny Smith and Jason Plato at the helm. This week, Tiff takes on Formula One?s Jarno Trulli in an eco-challenge, before going head to head with speedway champion Jason Crump; while Tim tests the acceleration claims of a range of car manufacturers.

This week, the Fifth Gear team tries to get the most out of the Toyota Prius, a Japanese hybrid car said to be capable of giving 120 miles to the gallon. To put this claim to the test, Tiff takes on none other than Formula One driver Jarno Trulli. However, in a surprising twist, it will be fuel economy rather than speed that decides this duel. Are speed demons Tiff and Jarno really the right men for the job?

Elsewhere, Tim tests the acceleration of a number of cars. Manufacturers often boast about ever-decreasing zero-to-60mph times, but are any of these claims actually true? Acting on behalf of the discerning performance-car buyer, Tim takes to the track to put three vehicles through their paces. Using cutting-edge satellite equipment, he finds out whether the cars really can do what they say on the box.

In Manchester, Tiff heads to the Belle Vue Speedway to meet world champion Jason Crump for what looks set to be an explosive car-versusbike race. While Jason will ride his customdesigned motorcycle, Tiff takes the wheel of some extreme four-wheelers. Who will come out on top?

In this week?s shoot-out challenge, Jason races two powerful estates to find out whether petrol power triumphs over diesel torque. The vehicles in contention are the Volkswagen Passat R36 and the Audi A4 3.0 TDI.

Also this week, Vicki investigates how Kia?s new hatchback, Pro Ceed, stacks up against established favourite the VW Golf.

And Jason shops around for a luxury car on a budget. Will ?1,000 buy a premium vehicle loaded with all the gadgets? The results are startling.
I wouldn't be surprised if Jason ended up with a Lexus LS...

So Tiff and Jason both have two segments, Vicki has one and Tim has one. And Tom and Johnny have none? They've now got too many people, trying to fit in 6 different people sounds like a mess.

Sounds like a pretty bad episode.

Sounds kinda meh, especially after the description for episode 2.

A4 vs. R36 should be interesting though, I wanna see how Jason does shootouts on his own.

And I thought the Prius got like 50-something MPG, not 120. :blink:

Aimed at the "domestic", in both senses of the word, audience. Not epic but I will watch, I think that it will be one of those "interesting" episodes.

In the preview the car that can "drive by itself" looks like a Honda or an Acura. Can't quite tell but does anyone have any ideas?

The 0-60 test seems interesting, the manufacturers are usually lying quite a bit. I just hope they got interesting ones in... 3 doesn't seem like much...

For those of you looking for a rip of this ep. See below:

Series 14 Episode 3 Here it is...

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1732278

F1 driver Jarno Trulli tries to get the most out of the hybrid Toyota Prius, while Jason Plato pits the Volkswagen Passat R36 against the Audi A4 3.0 TDi in a contest of petrol power and diesel torque. Tim Shaw tests the acceleration claims of a range of performance motors, and Tiff Needell competes with world speedway champion Jason Crump in a race of car versus bike.

Tech info:

DivX 6.6, 640 x 352, 25 fps @ 1000kbs
Mp3, Stereo @ 128kbs
Duration: 45:12

^ http://forums.finalgear.com/video-offers/fifth-gear-season-14-http-29645/#post772495

Status
Not open for further replies.