[14x03] August 25th, 2008

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Last edited:
I liked the 0-60 mph test. That was something I always wondered in ordinary cars, but should you have to rev it up to the redline or to the right momentum (which wouldn't be the same) in order to shift gears properly and get to the factory-claimed 0-60 time?

R36 vs A4 wangon, that was pretty good. You can see how much the car leans in the corners with the R36, but the A4 looks much tighter.

Golf vs Kia. Not nearly enough test to say the Kia is recommendable. how about some braking and slalom tests at least. Just doing a drag race then saying it's good is not convincing at all.

Car show. A lot of riced out cars there, the Civic Type R that Johnny selected as winner is not bad, but I bet there're a few nice Skyline or Supra there that he could've picked instead.

Prius segment, not very interesting. If it wasn't for Tiff, I'd probably would've skipped it.

0-60 time. I expected that from the beginning. Even with Tiff or Jason they might not be able to hit 0-60 in the manufacturer's claimed time. Tim did a pretty good job at getting it that close tho. But I think a more agressive launch and better shifting can probably still shave off some time.

Honda Accord wagon, didn't think it was too interesting, but it's not bad, looks like a good car. If only we get that but with the USDM 240hp V6.

Car vs bike, that was cool. That other dude is so freaking sideways and yet still so quick. But I guess his bike is tuned for that track and the other cars are not. But still, that was a cool battle.

Very packed show, even though most parts don't stand out, but it was still good. 8/10.

It was quite boring really... I just think they're trying to pack too much into their hour. Also I can now say I don't much care for the new guy, he's pretty uninteresting. They definitely didn't need to add a new host.

The bit with Johnny in the back of the S-Class as a dictator was pretty funny, if anyone caught that.

Oh, and I must say, Jabba's rips have improved a lot since the last time I was forced to download one. ;)

No I think I liked more than you guys seem to. Tom's piece was really rather nice and the new bloke did what I thought they should have done with old whats his name (Lovejoy) - played the part of the enthusiastic Mr Everyman in the 0 - 60 test. I slightly preferred it to last week.

/EDIT whinge removed. ...

Last edited:
It was average at best. Enjoyed Toms bit. Founds the Golf vs the Kia boring and very rushed.

They need to stop trying to cram everything into one show.

all I could say is, holy crap that jag for 1200quid, give me the mans number!

average show I thought. The prius was crap and also the 0-60 stuff looked like it was up a slight incline to me. Not convinced by this new bloke. Still better than Lovegay

I liked it!

This season is a huge improvement over the older ones. The camera work is very good now, music is good, editing is good and the presenting is much much better.

I don't have too many complaints about this show. I think the Golf vs. Kia could've been an actual segment rather than the quick little blurb that it was. The 0-60 segment would've been better with Plato or Tiff at the wheel. After I watched it, I thought I could get better times than the new guy, but maybe the point was to illustrate how an average driver can't possibly get the factory claimed time. All in all, I enjoyed it. It's a far cry from the Lovejoy days. Oh, and I don't think I like Tom and the new guy lying on sofas trying to joke around. No copying Top Gear!

I tought it was really bad,

Johny was good in the luxury car part but he usually is in those kind of segment, the car show sucked tought, i was really disapointed that he was a judge at one of those, im sorry but for me those people have some part of their brain missing, spending that much (at least enough for them to buy an actually good car) and end up with something that awful :x it's painful to watch, i mean im ok that the honda was funny and really well tought but god that thing was ugly :)

Tiff / Jarno -> Boooring
Jason -> Okay, not good, not bad

Tim was average, but the segment was too short...

Tom, how many time will they do the "i have to deliver something there" the review was completly useless too, no word on the interior (who seemed to look like a civic, wich is awesome) no comparaison agaisnt other car like the mondeo or something in that range of price/target group, it's one of the car that people will actually buy so they could put a bit more work into it

They used to do a bit of "real" car reviewing, they dont seem to do now and it was one of their strong point i think... they always suck when they try to do funny segment

Anyway really bad, worst of the season so far

Plato's shootout was pretty good, though getting some quicker cars out there would make it more interesting. Jonny's car show and old luxury car segments were great. People rag on the entrants to those kinds of shows, but a shitload of time goes into some of those cars. I can at least appreciate the time a few people put into one car, even if the end product may not be up to my tastes. And the luxury cars for close to 1000 pounds bit was interesting, I want to see more of those types of segments. On old Top Gear, Quentin Willson used to have similar segments they are always fun to watch for me. Tiff's race at the end was good, it's amazing how fast that bike can go even when sideways. The rest of the show was average. 6/10

Plato's shootout was pretty good, though getting some quicker cars out there would make it more interesting. Jonny's car show and old luxury car segments were great. People rag on the entrants to those kinds of shows, but a shitload of time goes into some of those cars. I can at least appreciate the time a few people put into one car, even if the end product may not be up to my tastes. And the luxury cars for close to 1000 pounds bit was interesting, I want to see more of those types of segments. On old Top Gear, Quentin Willson used to have similar segments they are always fun to watch for me. Tiff's race at the end was good, it's amazing how fast that bike can go even when sideways. The rest of the show was average. 6/10

Pretty good episode.

Jason's shootout was great, I liked it much more than VBH's. And he did a nice comparison of the chassis around the corner, you could also really see how much tighter the Audi was. I also loved how he could get some oversteer with the new 40/60 front/rear split :)

Vicki's comparison of the hot hatches was kinda interesting as few people do the 30-70 passing test. Kinda short though and not too memorable. At least her segments have better music this series :lol:

Johnny's segment was pretty cool, some of those cars were ridiculous, especially the one they chose as the winner.

The Tiff segment was boring, wish they would've used the F1 driver in a race with Tiff, not a MPG test. :mad: Also, interesting how's Tiff's pulse and glide AND electric-only buttoning only gave him a 1 mpg advantage.

The 0-60 test were actually nicely done. I expected crap cars, so seeing the cooper, miata, and atom was a nice surprise. Also, for the testing, I bet Tim got faster than 3.37 on the Atom, seemed like they only did 1 run, compared to the about 10 for the Miata. But if they got closest with the Atom, they'd have had to give that one away, so I can see why they would've fudged the results :lol:

Tom's Accord wagon review was ok, it's just that he did that dumb transporting thing again. He other reviews are much better, imho.

Johnny's budget car search was pretty average, I liked how the sellers always said yes at about 1000 quid, even the guy who wanted 1250 to start. But that's just a coincidence :p

The Tiff vs. Bike shootout was pretty awesome actually, worth waiting for. That third car Tiff used was ridiculous, 4 wheel drive, 500hp, 0-60 in 1.9 seconds! :drool: He got pretty close to winning that time too.

8/10

Any episode without Tiff v. Jason is like a day without sunshine. Although the Honda segment was good. Everything else was a bit flat.

Steve

I liked most of the episode.

As someone mentioned earlier, the Kia and VW comparison could of lasted as a segment instead of a 2 minute blurb on how the Kia has a 100k mile warranty. I just felt they could of done more.

I loved the 0-62 times, mainly because a lot of those numbers are done in the most perfect conditions. It's nice to see that people want to mess with the damn marketing people.

The shootout was ok. I wasn't really interested in the cars, but it's kind of cool to watch the Audi TDi to stay up with a petrol car

The prius race was just retarded. What made it for me was the fact that you have two drivers that race(d) cars for a living and watching them suffer in traffic just put a smile on my face. I don't know, I'm cynical like that.

I didn't really care for the other dirt race. I just found it boring really.

I liked the review of the Accord. That radar guided braking system was great when he couldn't stop hitting the brake. Seems a bit harsher than the Merc version in the S class. When Tim Shaw mentioned about his "hoot" going up and down when that system engaged, i nearly cried.

It was a good episode, but not perfect, i give it 7/10

Decent ep, some interesting bits and not-so-great bits.

Liked the 0-62 test by Tim...though I wish he could have done more runs in the Atom; I bet with the correct launch you could get a 0-60 time under 3 seconds.

Tom's Honda review was also good, but I do agree with some here who've said that the "transport this item to a location post-haste" basis for a review is getting a bit old.

Other segments - yawn...

The Tiff vs. Bike shootout was pretty awesome actually, worth waiting for. That third car Tiff used was ridiculous, 4 wheel drive, 500hp, 0-60 in 1.9 seconds! He got pretty close to winning that time too.

That Citroen Xsara rallycross car was insane; how come those (rallycross) cars have so much more power than WRC machines???