[14x03] August 25th, 2008

[14x03] August 25th, 2008

• Total voters
That Citroen Xsara rallycross car was insane; how come those (rallycross) cars have so much more power than WRC machines???

WRC cars are forced to user air restrictors to limit the power to about 300 HP. In rallycross I think there are no such restrictors (or they are bigger). And rallycross races are shorter than rallies, so the engines don't have to last as long between revisions/rebuilds.

I liked the review of the Accord. That radar guided braking system was great when he couldn't stop hitting the brake. Seems a bit harsher than the Merc version in the S class. When Tim Shaw mentioned about his "hoot" going up and down when that system engaged, i nearly cried.

The purposes of the systems are different. The Mercedes one is a cruise control that makes the car follow another at a set distance. The Honda one is intended to reduce/prevent(?) the crash.

I've got to say, Fifth Gear is absolutely getting better!

I loved, really loved, the classic car segment (BMW 735i, Jaguar XJ6 and Mercedes-Benz 300SE). However, the prices they get the cars for (Same thing in Top Gear) are extremely low for the condition they are in.

Last edited:
Good show this week, but they got-it wrong with Tiff and Jarno ! I wold expected to see them drifting the new Lambo or sommething like that not that peace potato of a car that they call Prius, it relly was excruciating pain to see them drive slow.

WRC cars are forced to user air restrictors to limit the power to about 300 HP. In rallycross I think there are no such restrictors (or they are bigger). And rallycross races are shorter than rallies, so the engines don't have to last as long between revisions/rebuilds.

FIA European Rallycross Championship (ERC) cars are built based on production car body shells but are extensively modified. A typical leading ERC series car, Per Eklund's Saab 9-3 Turbo 16 4x4 technical specifications are a 2 litre turbocharged 4 cylinder 16 valve engine with a 45 mm turbo restrictor rated at +550 bhp (410 kW) and 800 N?m (590 ft?lbf) of torque, four wheel drive with programmable active differentials and six-speed gearbox, 1200 kg (current FIA regulations) and will do the 0?100 km/h (about 0?62 mph) sprint in less than 2.5 seconds, thereby faster than a Formula One racer, some other ERC Division 1 cars are already claimed by their drivers to need even less than 2 seconds.

Restrictors used in rallycross are 11mm bigger than in the WRC (45mm vs. 34mm).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rallycross

:shock:

I gave it a 7. Decent episode, but nothing too special. Almost seemed too packed.

Next week will be a lot better.

I just realized why i liked this ep, i didn't have to listen to VBH.

Overall it was decent and a relaxing watch.

I think Tim's alright. Remember how you all hated Johnny and Tom when they were first introduced? Now, they're alright host. Just give him time.
On the other hand it's funny how they keep saying this is the best show for motorheads on TV to watch. Duh!!! this is the only show on TV right now to watch (UK tv anyways) about car that's worth watching...until Top Gear comes back.

Tim's alright. He do more of the practical bits, which i like. Kinda like Johnny really, but different.

Good show this week, but they got-it wrong with Tiff and Jarno ! I wold expected to see them drifting the new Lambo or sommething like that not that peace potato of a car that they call Prius, it relly was excruciating pain to see them drive slow.

This is what i thought of exactly when VBH interviewed Schumacher a few seasons ago. They ended up racing in like.. bikes or something.

the Northwest 200 bit was great for me, i wish they spent more time on that.

Us biker guys need our two wheel fill everyonce in a while.

I enjoyed the Speedway vs Rally anything bit to.

just watched it..

considering they had a topic about 0-60 times, they should've tested that rallycross car's 0-60 as it sounds like it demolishes the time of anything else out there.. 1.9 secs!!! for a cars what usually jsut have 2l 4 bangers, they'r getting times so much lower than anything out there with much bigger engines for probs similar weight??

Im guessing its all in the gearing, but still these cars have top speeds of 150mph.. why dont they make a road going version as they could easily claim worlds best 0-60 time by about .5 second