[14x03] November 29th, 2009

[14x03] November 29th, 2009

• Total voters
What was that bit at the end about, when JC announced the new broadcasting time?

^ that bit ^

Hammond/May had a joke saying "If it was Clarkson building it, it still wouldn't be finished now...

or now...

or now..."

There were a couple of "or now..."s over the end credits too. The last one was particularly amusing.

Lambo and the aircaravanship was interesting, couldn't help thinking there'll be letters when JM ended up over the airport. Lambo needed a lap.
News was funny, tends to be the bit I need to rewatch to actually remember....
Lancia Pt1: :drool:. Glad they show it after 9pm now because that sort of pr0n isn't allowed usually...
Evans was good, obviously a big car nut, but guests plugging stuff is getting old.
Fake Stratos was a bit odd. Mainly because it was a kitcar, but the Lambo Balboni should've had that track review instead IMVHO.
I would have given it a 9 but it's an automatic point off for having Jesus in the audience.
Seriously, enough of Nazarene carpenters.

Reactions: MWF
Would be great if they could finally leave out all the cobwebbed jokes. The Lancia part had flashes of brilliance but why the Morris Marina + piano AGAIN? Jokes don't get funnier when repeated a squillion times, unless maybe if you're that retard in the Metallica shirt laughing obnoxiously at everything either one of the presenters has to say.

Still a good ep though, but only 8/10.

Would be great if they could finally leave out all the cobwebbed jokes. The Lancia part had flashes of brilliance but why the Morris Marina + piano AGAIN? Jokes don't get funnier when repeated a squillion times, unless maybe if you're that retard in the Metallica shirt laughing obnoxiously at everything either one of the presenters has to say.

I don't know, I think the Marina with a piano already on it was an amusing twist on the joke. Kept it fresh and worth doing.

If it was just "piano falls on Marina" again then you might have a point...

The lancia part was really great, it had a great atmosphere, and the cinematics were fantastic. For the rest I'd say I want my proper Top Gear back with more serious car reviews and without the 80% scripted and not really funny stuff. I mean if you have a Gallardo on the show, you should be able to do better ...

For the rest I'd say I want my proper Top Gear back with more serious car reviews and without the 80% scripted and not really funny stuff.

When the show started, I was thinking "wow, awesome, james may is doing a skoda review". I should have known better. :lol:

Oh thank God, I can now believe last week was an outlier :)

The caravanairship segment lasted just long enough to be amusing. Plus it was nice to see (and hear!) the Balboni out on the road. Yes, we know the "accidental" straying into Norwich Airport airspace was planned and set up well in advance http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/news/video/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=Video&itemid=NOED05%20Oct%202009%2015%3A02%3A41%3A300&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=Video but I thought James pulled it off quite well.

The news wasn't one long dick joke - hurrah! And having suffered through those M1 roadworks numerous times, it was nice to hear Jeremy have a go at them. And the Son of God was kinda cute!

Ford, the top of the Board FTW!! :thumbsup:

And I loved the Lancia film because they just seemed to be having so much fun driving those classic cars around. I also laughed at the way they made the panels etc fall off the car. The Morris Marina gag is one of the few that will never get old for me. (Did we all notice that Jezza's licence plate kept detaching & reattaching itself?). I think Hamster had several crises driving the Delta Integrale.:lol:

I thought Chris Evans was great, I love his attitude of wanting to share his cars with people, and his lap was bloody brave!

Also bloody brave was The Stig's lap in the Hawk Stratos - my God that was a shoddy piece of work! No way would I thrash that thing round a wet track!

Overall much much much better than last week, well done boys! :D

Anyone admit buying a Beta? I knew someone with one once - it was in the 1980s. Oh and someone with an HPE - tidy car that - rusts too though, but not as badly as the Beta.

I admit NOT buying a Beta. Which was one of the worst choices in my whole driving life. The Beta was 1500 Dm (about 750?), seven years old with a bit more than 100.000km. The second hand car dealer adviced me to buy a Lada instead. Exactly the model that Jeremy Clarkson drove in the communist car bit. Which was a year old, had 20.000km and cost me some 4200DM (2100?). And was in no way as rugged as I thought: At 50.000km it needed a new generator, at 60.000km a new clutch and new brakes. When it was ultimately destroyed at at 80.000km I was kind of glad. Because it is a tank and when the Ford Scorpio crashed into my boot it was good to be in one. And I didn't want to drive it any more.

I'd better taken the Beta. It was much nicer, more fun to drive and even if it had boken down after a year or within 20.000km I'd bee better off.

This was the one:

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgu...e&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHNG_deDE327DE327&sa=N&um=1

Last edited:
Also bloody brave was The Stig's lap in the Hawk Stratos - my God that was a shoddy piece of work! No way would I thrash that thing round a wet track!

The more unruly a car is on track, the more fun it gets :D My two most enjoyable track driving experiences was in a 340bhp Ariel Atom, which took so much skill and effort to keep in line it was tiring (but in no way tiresome); and in a Peugeot 309 which I bought a 1/3 share in for ?33 with some mates, which we then destroyed with wanton recklessness over many hours of laughter to the point of discomfort. I'd love a go in that Stratos :p

Another great episode, 9/10!
I loved every bit of the show, especially the first Lancia bit, it took me back to my childhood.
My neighbor had a Delta Integrale and me and my mates used to hang out at his garage with him all the time. I loved it when he would let us ride in it :) so it was great to see one again.
Caravan blimp bit was inspired, a little disappointed not to see the Lambos lap time, hopefully they'll show it next time or at least tell us what it was.
News and SIARPC were good, its nice to see that they're having real petrolheads as guests more often.
Did anyone else expect Jeremy to hit the fake Stratos with the hammer when he was introducing it? :lol:
Kudos to Stig for the kit Stratos lap, he's a braver man than I am :)

P.S. Or now. ;)

Last edited:
^^ I wanna go in a MEV Rocket that I've built myself, but I think I'm more likely to do a DB9 track day first, since I have no garage or place to park a kit car :(

I have a suspicion I just saw the best episode of the season and it's downhill from now.

9/10

Great episode! Maybe Hammond could of talked more about the Balboni and give it a time. Also they should of mentioned it was thanks in addition to Walter Roehrl's talent that the Lancia 037 won against the quattro.

Oh and...

"OR NOW!!":mrgreen:

Great episode, but something missing... the acknowledgement that their jokes sometimes are overdone (thinking about the airport/airship out of control bit). Great effort, but a bit too much.

Would've loved the Balboni round the track bit.

Gov' stealing from Jesus was simply a stroke of genius.

Lancia bit was nicely done (don't really agree despite being a huge fan of theirs) and the "best looking lap" was a great idea.

News was ok, uber-geek Evans was pretty topgearish as well (ambitious but....).

Using my new ratings formula, I give it an 8. Solid effort and a good step better than last week's and the series opener.