[14x03] November 29th, 2009

[14x03] November 29th, 2009

• Total voters
what i want is to see them driving and racing cars like....

the audi Q7 V12
the bmw x5 and x6 M
the ferrari 450 italia
the new 2010 range rover (the new overfintch)
the new 2010 range rover sport
the bentley mulsanne
the bentley continental supersports
the audi tt rs
the new porsche gt3
the rolls royce ghost
the audi s5 sportback
the new mercedes e-class
the bmw m3 gts

You're in luck, because three of the cars you've listed there will be in next week's episode.

You've also listed three cars (Mulsanne, Ghost, M3 GTS) that aren't available to any reviewers yet, and very likely won't be until after series 14 ends. Maybe next summer.......

Last edited:
Oh thank God, I can now believe last week was an outlier :)

The caravanairship segment lasted just long enough to be amusing. Plus it was nice to see (and hear!) the Balboni out on the road. Yes, we know the "accidental" straying into Norwich Airport airspace was planned and set up well in advance http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/news/video/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=Video&itemid=NOED05%20Oct%202009%2015%3A02%3A41%3A300&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=Video but I thought James pulled it off quite well.

Thanks for posting that. I actually came here specifically to ask if the airport segment was genuine or not.

I had to vote 7/10 because Chris Evans absolutely ruined the show.

The Lancia segment was definitely one of the best "history" pieces they've done to date. A lot of work must've gone into making it; there were so many different locations and cars in that film!

Morris marina with a piano on the roof....

gets hit by a piano.... and honestly i didnt see that coming, that was perfectly done.

The Lambo should have gone around the lap.

I could have done without the flying caravan. It contributed nothing but filler to what could have been a brilliant Lambo review. Show us why a proper manual gearbox and rear-wheel drive is so appealing. Review the Lambo and preach to your viewers why this car is so special and something of a dying breed. There was so much potential for the Lambo review and it was wasted. That was heartbreaking.

The best episode so far. But what I liked the most was the the whole soundtrack of the whole episode. Really gooood!

Gave it 8, coz there is still place for something epic in the future eps.

:)

9/10.

Thought the caravan bit was going to be a bit dull, until they mixed in the road review of the Gallardo Balboni. And the caravan bit itself ended up being pretty funny. News - great. It never gets old seeing these three having a go at pathetic road maintenance and speed cameras.

Lancia bit? First part of it is where it fell flat and lost a point for me. It redeemed itself with showing the big bad WRC cars, but boo at no mention of the LC1/LC2. Also the kit car bit was pretty good, but they ought to have given it a proper lap without the Stig spinning the damn thing.

Chris Evans? It's fantastic when the SIARPC is a petrolhead and actually argues with Clarkson about cars and stuff.

9/10. i liked the lancia part,espacially Stig's lap, it was so funny. Great driving.

9/10- A huge rise in quality over last week

Airship film was a very clever way of reviewing the Gallardo without doing the same old track test, and I thought James' airport encounter, at least didn't seem that fake- even if it was.
Both Lancia films were brilliant. It was great to see Top Gear as a car show again and they managed to make it an interesting automotive film as well as entertaining and funny. Also the Stig's lap was epic, and I'm in love with the Stratos in the rally decal.

Chris Evans was a very good guest.

GIVE ME BACK MY 60 MINUTES!

absolutely bad episode. just time-filling junk. i miss the time when they had more than one car to test. the lambo didnt't even made a lap?
i dont care about lancias, even when the delta integrale is a beautiful car - why were they showing 30minutes of lancia?

what i want is to see them driving and racing cars like....

the audi Q7 V12
the bmw x5 and x6 M
the ferrari 450 italia
the new 2010 range rover (the new overfintch)
the new 2010 range rover sport
the bentley mulsanne
the bentley continental supersports
the audi tt rs
the new porsche gt3
the rolls royce ghost
the audi s5 sportback
the new mercedes e-class
the bmw m3 gts

It's the Ferrari 458 Italia. :rolleyes:

8/10 just for the Lancia bits. It was a very car oriented episode, which is always a good thing.

Lambo vs blimp, I thought that segment ended a little bit abruptly, and they didn't put it around the track. I want to see how much slower it is without the AWD.

7 Lancias. Lancia are great looking cars, even the Integrale looks good for an early 90's design. Too bad about the reliability though.

Lanica Stratos kit car. I hope all the break downs are staged. If the car really is that unreliable, then the man in the shed will probably go out of business soon. lol.

Overall, better than last week's ep, 8/10.

that james bondish scene in hangar, inflating that baloon was epic.. :)

Another weak episode.

Recycled jokes (Jesus, Morris Marina), not enough features, uninteresting topics. The flying caravan bit was original and funny for a few minutes, but it just went on for far too long. The Lambo was thrown in almost as an afterthought. I don't wanna see that thing creeping around country lanes, it belongs on the test track and deserves its own test or a comparison with a 4WD-Gallardo or a Ferrari/Porsche.

Lancia - Again: Too long a piece, they could have easily cut it down to under 5 minutes. All they did for the first segment was repeat two obvious points over and over again - we understand that Lancias are beautiful but unreliable.. now get on with it!

Plus: No meaningful references to today's car-world. Not a single real test of a new, interesting model, no lap-time of a new car. Even if they would have done the Stratos-lap more seriously: What do I care about a badly made kit-car's lap-time?
The "news" were repetitive as well: I mean, we know that speed-cameras suck and that JC thinks they're the work of the devil. Why not instead tell us something about new, exciting cars that have been announced?

IMO the show is lacking someone to keep the sillyness and repetitiveness in check and the features short. Because, as someone in this thread already pointed out: A joke doesn't get better if you repeat it over and over again.

Just look at some of the older shows: They had more and shorter films but overall the entertainment-value was much higher, the show was funnier, seemed more spontaneous and they even managed to squeeze some real-world-advice in there. Where are reviews like Golf R32 vs BMW 130i, Porsche GT3 RS vs Ferrari 360 CS, Focus RS vs. M?gane R26R or TG-presenters' moms testing MPVs?

Last edited:
Do they have to mention Hammond's crash again?

Yes, you know the rule "No TG article in any paper without mentioning 'the incident'" (that's what they called it at the Cheltenham Literary Festival:))

Just a reminder:
http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/news/video/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=Video&itemid=NOED05%20Oct%202009%2015%3A02%3A41%3A300&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=Video
Yes, the caravanairship WAS planned and staged, (did you seriously think they could just drift into commercial airspace without getting arrested?) but I thought it was cleverly filmed and edited. The airship hangar is at Cardington, so obviously they had to cut the 2 locations together.

And I agree with James: from what I've heard about Fusker, he could take one of Jezza's woossy Labradors in a fight, easy! :p

Last edited:
Maximum respect to James.

In the modern H&S world the idea that a TV presenter would be allowed to fly an experimental aircraft solo while still presenting to camera says a lot for his true skills.

Love to see how the Marina Owners Forum members are reacting to another Piano.

Poorly, though at least a few of them found the FinalGear tshirt amusing (as I do mine).

I love how the club magazine is called "Understeer". That's be like the Lancia club calling theirs Rotto ed Arrugginito, or the Saab 900 Owners Club starting a mag called "Stripped 2nd gear"...

Great Episode:
loved the Airship-Segment. The Lancia-thing was good too and i dind't Skip the SIRCAP (wich i dind't do the whole series which is a great improvement). Only the KID-Car thing was a slighjt disappointment so i gave a 9. Best of Series so far.