[14x03] November 29th, 2009

[14x03] November 29th, 2009

• Total voters
Btw.: Do you guys think James genuinely got in trouble over that airport, or that it was somehow scripted? Looked real enough.

What, real enough for the camera crew to get in a nice position within the airfield in advance and then do a few casual helicopter flyovers? Yeah right.. A 1 percent chance at best.

Nothing is real on TG, everything's scripted.

Do you guys think James genuinely got in trouble over that airport, or that it was somehow scripted? Looked real enough.

If James had flown into controlled airspace without notice, shortly after the event there would have be two threads in this forum:

Thread One would be how James May was arrested and taken into custody.

Thread Two would be how James May's pilots license had been revoked.

Btw.: Do you guys think James genuinely got in trouble over that airport, or that it was somehow scripted? Looked real enough.

-Daniel

^ Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots flies anywhere near restricted airspace without permission. James is a certified pilot. He's not stupid enough to do something like that without seeing to safety. I'm sure the incident was planned, however I must say it was planned extremely well and presented in a very natural fashion. James is master of the "oh shit" shock face.

What, real enough for the camera crew to get in a nice position within the airfield in advance and then do a few casual helicopter flyovers? Yeah right.. A 1 percent chance at best.

Nothing is real on TG, everything's scripted.

On TV, everything is scripted. Not one TV show is made without a script.

Also being a lazy ass I'll post this link again
http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/news/video/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=Video&itemid=NOED05%20Oct%202009%2015%3A02%3A41%3A300&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=Video

Clearly telling the story of how they "borrowed" the airport early in the morning to film that stunt. Agree that James acted well but of course it was an act.
And thanks Matskulainen for pointing out YET AGAIN to people that ALL TV SHOWS HAVE A SCRIPT!!
FFS if I see that scr*pted word used again (as in "eeh TG's too scripted") I'm finally gonna start using the nasty neg rep button that (until now) I've avoided like the plague!

Last edited:
What a car, that Lamborghini is! The way it sounds, the way it looks...when Hammond downshifted, toward the end of the segment, it sounded like a tiger. I can only imagine how a Murcielago LP670 would be like without the extra weight of the 4wd system.
they're building them faster than we can destroy them
I don't like the way Bang und Olufsen systems sound but they look nice; Beolab3 sounds impressively loud for its size.
Government stealing from Jesus-genius (good to have you back on Top Gear,Jesus ! Praise the Lawd and such...)

automatic board
Stephen Hawking-great bloke even though a lot of him doesn't work; my lego Stephen Hawking picture seems to be working fine...

Meryl Streep-and the right rear wing falls off -criminal, I died laughing
Marina with piano on it- genius
"a piano on the roof aids traction and gives you more speed on a rally special"-too late for Mikko Hirvonen with this advice; they should have aired this episode in summer;

Last edited:
This episode got me back on TG's side. The first two of the series had really bummed me out, admittedly so much as thinking "When is Fifth Gear comi... damnit.". I am over the over-the-top cocking about they do, but this seemed like a proper return to Top Gear form. Not a home-run, knock out, but it was good enough for me to give it a 7/10, which is a huge step up from the 4/10,5/10 they've been given recently from me. Atleast I can say I am looking forward to next Sunday.

FFS if I see that scr*pted word used again (as in "eeh TG's too scripted") I'm finally gonna start using the nasty neg rep button that (until now) I've avoided like the plague!

You do realize that the more you get your panties in a knot over that word, the more people are going to use it to piss you off right? This is finalgear. :p

Also being a lazy ass I'll post this link again
http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/news/video/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=Video&itemid=NOED05%20Oct%202009%2015%3A02%3A41%3A300&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=Video

Clearly telling the story of how they "borrowed" the airport early in the morning to film that stunt. Agree that James acted well but of course it was an act.
And thanks Matskulainen for pointing out YET AGAIN to people that ALL TV SHOWS HAVE A SCRIPT!!
Oh, so it looks like he took off from Norwich airport and just circled there for a few hours. I dunno, that seems like more of a lie than most of their exaggerated pieces.

Oh, so it looks like he took off from Norwich airport and just circled there for a few hours. I dunno, that seems like more of a lie than most of their exaggerated pieces.

Have you read my note about scripting vs. scripting? The whole point of the mad airship caravaning was to show that a caravan blimp is the only thing in you can possibly think of that's more mental than the Balboni - that's not like a TG challenge that is supposed to be more or less a documentary, that's a road test of a car with an entertaining twist.

really good episode, laughed a lot and i liked the first bit of the show very much. seeing james in a critical situation is just epic :D
9/10

A few links about the lancia bit for your reading pleasure.

Write up from the integrale owner:
http://www.auto-journals.com/journals/Lancia?model=Integrale&journal=43

Not so positive report from the builder of the Hawk, not a happy man:
http://www.stratossupersite.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7683

However the question has to be asked: Why send a tired car to a program which is known to hammer cars and rip them apart at the slightest oppertunity? I thought it came across fairly well to be honest, and that lap looked a riot!
The "Problem" here, is the devotion that borders on fanatism that many owners of Cars have. They were sort of expecting their Car, their LOVE to be put on a podium and be awarded the first prize. If that doesn?t happen, they get all heartbroken and angry. An average viewer may see the film totally different, but they can?t ... because they are in love. Love really blinds and you won?t even see that TopGear made this car ultra-cool now and their "agenda" was to do so from the start ... it?s just that the people who are in love with that car won?t get it. They can`t see the forest for the trees ... they are too close emotionally to see what really happens here and how it?s meant.

Stratos replica sales will skyrocket. As will the demand for people who can screw them together professionally. This is a good thing.

Last edited:
It's gotta be a UK vs USA thing. I thought last weeks show was hilarious. This week was fun but seemed like an intermission between great shows. The marina was very funny. Maybe I am just demented. Who knows. Either way I would rather watch a bad Top Gear then the crap they pump through the cable box.

I would have been the 10th one voting for Lancia: Delta Integrale is my all time favorit (still searching for one in good condition, with ok history, etc), Stratos in Alitalia "livery"!!!, the "037" and S4!!
The shown Integrale is a 1993 model, bought for 14.000...and looks like a "dealer edition" but I am not sure.
Saddly, the Stratos part was a joke (see the links) and the Integrale one edited too much. Too many jumps from here to there. Sorry, but the "grale" is a boxy hatch that needs to bask in your view for 10-20sec (at least) until you start to "see" it.
They could have turned this episode into an epic one: compare the Integrale with Audi S3/Mazda MPS3/130i, etc and the stratos vs an Evo or STi.
A big joke was also the "news" section and they have tried something with that blimb and Lambo, but nope...still can't see what. Oh, anyone impressed by how good the Superb is? This was a new for me: a review without refering to the car:)
And the SRPC...c'mon...WHITE Ferraris??? F40, Enzo, 288GTO...white???!?!
A small hint for the man: Audi Q7, Bentley Continental, 911 turbo (Gemballa for ex.), Maybach, etc...all look "superbly" in white and bode better for the purpose (to show them to the "normal" men). And he should consult Balack (Cheslea FC, owner of a white 612).

Sorry...6/10, gone to much into the "comic relief" direction.

[...]They could have turned this episode into an epic one: compare the Integrale with Audi S3/Mazda MPS3/130i, etc and the stratos vs an Evo or STi.
Yeah, and let?s have Carl Lewis run against Usain Bolt ... I bet that would be epic too ... seeing a retired 50 year old man getting beaten by a 23 year old at the hight of his career ... WOW that would be so great ... and tell us so much! :rolleyes:

Sry for the hate, but I disaprove these useless comparissons. You can?t compare a 20+ year old car with it?s modern descendants. Even if you had a factory fresh integrale ... with 100% power and none of the usuall power-loss and wear on every component that happens when a Car is USED or is even just standing around ... it would be a sin to put that kind of stress on a mint classic car ... and only to prove in the end that there has been progress in cars in the last 20 years ...

And also another reason why it was a good thing that the Stratos replica wasn?t seriously put round the track ... because have a look what it?s competiors would have been ... two caterhams, a R400 and a R500 ... very far UP that board. Both completley out of reach for a Stratos Replica that?s not in perfect shape ... wich this one wasn?t.

Last edited:
not epic, but nicely done, quite a few laughs and hey... cars :D
Now i'm looking forward to the rest of the series again =)

(gave it a 9)

Last edited:
AWESOME episode. Gave it a 10. This is what Top Gear should be. Lots of entertainment, beautiful music and production, with a sprinkling of history and education thrown in. Bravo.