[14x03] Stats

upyourego

Car(s)
Learning to drive
Top Gear seems to be pretty stable in the 9 O Clock timeslot at 5.2 million. This is down on last year but more consistent week on week than before.

The share for this week was 18.2% and up against New Tricks (4.1m 14.3%) and I'm a Celebrity (8.6m 31.9%) this isn't bad.

Top Gear was the most watched show on BBC Two by a LONG way with second place going to Ray Mears with 1.8m and a 6% share.

X-Factor once again takes the most watched show of the night with 13.5m and a share of 45.9%!

So here is the top list down as far as Top Gear

1. X-Factor (ITV1) - 13.5m - 45.9% share
2. I'm a Celeb (ITV1) - 8.6m - 31.9% share
3. Family Fortunes (ITV1) - 6.2m - 24.5% share
4. Countryfile (BBC One) - 6m - 24% share
5. Antiques Roadshow (BBC One) - 5.6m - 19.1% share
6. BBC News @ 10 (BBC One) - 5.2m - 21.1% share
7. Top Gear (BBC Two) - 5.2m - 18.2% share

The only problem is, we can't convince old people and country folk to watch Top Gear more, therefore it can move a few more places. Unfortunately, I can't see that we can beat those X fuckers because people think it's better than TG when it goddamn just isn't.

Reality TV really angers me...and yet, I love Survivor and Amazing Race

can someone explain to me how there's way more than 100% of people can be watching TV?I counted 182% total
Or perhaps people with more than 1 TV, watching 2 shows at once?

also

5.2 million = 21 & 18% at the same time?

Last edited:
can someone explain to me how there's way more than 100% of people can be watching TV?I counted 182% total

also

Different time slots. Top Gear shows at 9, BBC News at 10.

also

It's different timeslots - next week I'll remember to include the time the broadcast started alongside the ratings info.

Glad to see that British TV (with notable exceptions) sucks as much as American TV (with notable exceptions).

Glad to see that British TV (with notable exceptions) sucks as much as American TV (with notable exceptions).

Yep, 200 channels and only watch 3...but pay for all 200, grrr. I do have a question though. According to these statistics, there are approx 5 mil viewers in the UK. Yet, the world wide audience gets quoted at 350 mil. Does anyone know where the 350 mil number came from? It seems really high to me if you compare it with the UK viewership. I'm not saying it's not possible, I just would like to know how it was arrived at.

Yep, 200 channels and only watch 3...but pay for all 200, grrr. I do have a question though. According to these statistics, there are approx 5 mil viewers in the UK. Yet, the world wide audience gets quoted at 350 mil. Does anyone know where the 350 mil number came from? It seems really high to me if you compare it with the UK viewership. I'm not saying it's not possible, I just would like to know how it was arrived at.

i suspect (if you watched richard hammonds christmas video) they used the spaceial Top Gear Calculator which he advertises.

why don't all the british people just turn on more then one t.v. in their house to the same channel, that should get some ratings up, or can the cable companies tell the difference....

Cable television is a minority viewing platform in the UK - the majority of people have either satellite (Sky) or terrestrial (Freeview).

The ratings quoted here are from Barb who collect there numbers from a panel of households - each household has all their television viewing equipment fitted with special monitors which reports ALL viewing back to Barb.

There are around 25 million homes in the UK and 5,100 homes are surveyed at any one time to represent all British homes.

The BARB reporting panel is 5,100 homes. The panel homes are located across the UK and represent the viewing of all individuals aged 4 and over within the household (plus their guests) and return data on a daily basis from around 11,300 people. All digital terrestrial, satellite and cable platforms are represented, along with their analogue counterparts.

so basically the stations feel that 1:5000 of the population is a good indicator of what everyoneis watching?

let's be honest, if a good chunk of that is from a large city, there are people going to be out and about

in contrast, if you're out more towards the countryside where there are less things to do on a sunday evening, everyone is going to be watching t.v.

but towards a city where they have all the auto brands available, someone might be more interested.

i'm thinking maybe the BARB should use a larger number to get a better indicator instead of a 1/5000 ratio.... that's just silly.

In their defence it is based on a scientific grouping - so they use a properly sourced mix of age groups, social groups, class groupings and population distribution - so a mix of urban and country houses split on the same breakdown as society as a whole.

so basically the stations feel that 1:5000 of the population is a good indicator of what everyoneis watching?

That is probably a higher ratio than what Nielsen uses to decide what lives or dies on US television.

According to these statistics, there are approx 5 mil viewers in the UK. Yet, the world wide audience gets quoted at 350 mil. Does anyone know where the 350 mil number came from?

I don't know anything, but here's my guess:

Add up viewer estimates over all countries and all airings, maybe even including reruns. That way one episode will be viewed by quite a lot of viewers.

a 1/5000 ratio.... that's just silly.

Concerning the statistics: There is a very small overall margin of error if the group has been selected properly - which I assume they did.
Even if your sample is entirely random you'll still achieve great accuracy.

Numbers example, using the numbers from Britain: 25mil homes vs 5100 monitored homes and assuming a real share of 18.2%.
Allow a 5% error (17.3% to 19.1% or 881 to 975 homes watching)? You'll hit your mark with a probability of 0.9153171908559181065224208... or one episode in a twelve-part series will turn out a greater error.
Allow a 10% error? The probability to achieve that soars up to 0.9993058877605187847950234... or in real terms one in 1440 episode measurements will return an error greater 10%. I don't think the boys will last that long :(

Of course, greater errors can occur when trying to pick a representative group, but the key idea is the same. With a decently representative group results should be better than with my truly random sample.

Last edited:
Why does the BBC care about rating at all?

The answer I usually get when I ask people that question is 'so it can measure shows against each other (not against external competition) and so it can measure what audiences are actually watching.

It doesn't completely 'care' in that it scraps shows with tiny audiences - if that were the case we'd never have had more of The Office, more of Fawlty Towers or even The Extras.

We'd barely have anything that exists on BBC Three or BBC Four and a lot of BBC Two would be out as well.

Upyourego - are the figures you quote only for the initial Sunday showing or are there also figures for the repeats each week and for i-player?