[14x04] December 6th, 2009

[14x04] December 6th, 2009

• Total voters
I gave it an 8. Big thing: the focus was on the cars, not the presenters, and that's important.

The airport vehicle race: considering that this was meant to air last series, I'm glad that they held it over for this one. Airing it earlier would have been too soon after the London bus race. Even if it was a bit repetitive, it still made for interesting viewing.

News: meh.

BMW / Audi / Range Rover : I'm trying to remember the last time a 4x4 did the test track. *This* is the sort of thing that made Top Gear famous in the first place: funny car reviews. Speaking of which:

Renault Twingo review : have to admit, I really, REALLY liked the comparo with the 500, and it was the driving on the tunnel ceiling that really made this piece. (I honestly think Top Gear should challenge the Mythbusters on car-related stunts, I really do.)

The Flying Part was CGI thats for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Watched it again and again! It is CGI!!!! The camera perspective out of the car looks like a cheap youtube fake (58:49) and the reflection at 58:51 is rubbish, the physics as well. At 58:58 the size of the car and ship is wrong etc etc.
Believe me, Its cheaper to put a CGI-Man in a dark room, then destroy an Renault. But the main reasons could be that they had no permission from Belfast to make the car sink or it was even to dangerous even for a stuntman.
BUT: It doesn't matter - CGI IS NOT ACCEPTABLE IN THE GREAT REALITY SHOW TOP GEAR!!!!!

I suppose you think the Zapruder film was green-screened, and that Oswald was acting on behalf of Jimmy Hoffa's orders. How can people be this stupid?

Last edited:
Man some people here a dweebs...

Top Gear does something new and different and then complaints about how they changed too much and should go back to the roots.

They do some older ideas with an interesting twist and then
'they're too boring.'

Epic movies are no longer epic cause there are too many and some can't be as interesting as others;
so complaints fly again.

Uhhh.... a demolition race with airport vehicles... soo dragged out and boring..
That was nine minutes...
9 minutes you short attention spanner.

Old episodes besides having 7minutes of talking about one car, cut from a Ferrari review to some caravan being exploded.

I think we don't appreciate what we get much. Think what it takes to organize and film/edit such a thing.
Then you have to cut your 3hour footage into 9 minutes and some f....c.ock whines that it was boring.

I personally think Top Gear has an amazing mix right now of an a review here, a silly trio adventure there, a hot supercar in the middle and a twingo thrown in too. I have no idea where the next week might lead to, and I find Top Gear very exiting all these years later.

Last edited:
I gave it a 6/10. Really wasn't anything overly appealing about the episode.

Airport racing was pretty dull because it was basically the same as the bus race (i.e - just an excuse to break some old machinery).
Listening to Hammond squeal everytime he goes round a corner is incredibly annoying.

The news was solid (as ever).

The 3 in 1 mentalist car review was...ok. But it's like it was included for the sake of it. It didn't actually add anything to what Jeremy said in his little intro about them, but the post-film segment looking at the tech on the Range Rover was pretty cool.

SIARPC did nothing for me despite enjoying his movies. The interview seemed a bit forced...but maybe that was just me.

Twingo review was way too much like the Ford Fiesta mega-review. As soon as I heard the "Oh yes, I should say so" it all went downhill to me. Just seemed very unoriginal. Putting the 500 Abarth in there was a nice touch, but again, didn't tell us anything we didn't already know: It's a quick little car and extremely popular, hence the waiting list that Clarkson touched on in the film.

The sewer spot was a bit disappointing as well, because I was expecting a full on Italian Job-like stunt. Ice Hockey had shades of the Winter Olympics special, which is nice, but was a bit too cheesy for my liking, as was the ending with the Starsky and Hutch like jump.

Bit disappointed with the episode but it's really on par with the rest of the series, so nothing unexpected.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth...

7/10 for obviously the same reasons that everyone has said.

I just hope the last three episodes are bloody good (especially Bolivia) or else I believe the end is nigh.

Utter drivel, except for the twingo part. This season is crap isn't it.
Too contrived, same ideas recycled a billion times over, with bad taste frankly.
:yawn:
Sack the dwarf too, he's always looked like a twat since a few seasons ago when he got his silly hair and silly outfits, now he just looks atrocious.

My opinion in short this time:

Good: Twingo, SIARPC (and I imagined he'd be a total cock).
Bad: Airport stuff race, news (too many lame vulgar jokes), overly obvious canned laughter.

Overall: 6/10

SIARPC

SIARPC

Dont skip through the SIARPC, and watch Guy's supposedly final lap. You'll notice that the passenger seat changed from a Corbeau to a SPARCO seat.

Dont skip through the SIARPC, and watch Guy's supposedly final lap. You'll notice that the passenger seat changed from a Corbeau to a SPARCO seat.

And the car changes at Gambon. But this is just editing for dramatisation...nothing to get too worked up about.

After that (rather self derivative) episode, I think I'm looking forward more to James May's next Toy Story than the next Top Gear ep.

TG: Twingo goes Tango inside a Tunnel!

This has to be THEE MOST entertaining, sensible and larger than life at the same time kind of car review ever even by TopGear standards. The film starts with Jeremy answering sensible questions a car buyer would like to know about a car and man he gave more than answers.

The whole film was scripted to perfection, there wasn?t a single line Jeremy uttered which wasn?t anything less than spectacularly funny. When Jeremy drove down the tiny Twingo inside a sewer tunnel trying to answer the question if it could go upside down, I thought he was going to cock about it but when I saw what happened I was blown away but all he had to say about it was that if he had missed it he would have been in a world to shit literally.

When you want to stretch the legs of your Bugatti Veyron you could block a part of a high way but when you want to drive down a sewer tunnel you would have to ask the local people to cross their legs, Oh Dear Lord. God bless TG. I am really saddened by the thought that everything has to come to an end.

The part where Jezza crashed the Twingo into a ice hockey player who was chasing the puck in the middle of a match, that?s rite if that wasn?t bonkers enough when he hits the player Jezza comes out of the Twingo in a concerned hurry just to check if the Twingo was ok when the player he hit was lying down. Jeremy calls it a pedestrian safe car when the player gets up and carries on with his match. Also Jeremy answered sensible car buyer?s question of what?s it like on snow while he was at it.

Best part of it all (actually every single bit of this film is a better than the best) was when Jezza answers the practicality question, he opens the Twingo?s hatch to explain that the boot is big enough of squeeze in Ross Kemp who was inside for the most part of the film and his reactions every time Jeremy crashed the Twingo into all sort of things in the harbor was just epically hilarious.

The ultimatum to this power packed film was Jezza trying to catch his ferry back to England. You really wouldn?t want to miss this one guys, truly one of the best.

One last Q&A. Is the Twingo green? No its red!

http://www.indianautotalk.com

gave it a 9.

The airport scene was not that attractive to me. It's been done already too much with lorries or vans. But i liked the rest of the show. It was nice to see a trio of 4x4's racing at each other instead of a supercar or a sedan. The twingo review was funny. I loved it how he made the jump at the end. It looked that he was confident to make the jump and at first i believed he could. But then the gap.. it was too much :p

lol good show!

Disappointing. My biggest gripe is the faking was too obvious. Again. Now I know most of Top Gear isn't honest anymore, but this time it was just too obvious, especially in the Renault review. The flip in the tunnel was very obviously fake, and not really entertaining, and the mad dash to the ferry was sped up in multiple places. by the way, what was the point of putting the car up on a crane? One single shot? *sigh*

6/10, just because I liked the alcoholic Range Rover.

There are various posts on this forum, some of them by me, about car reviews having to be scripted. You, Sir, obviously have no idea how TV works. Scripting is a problem when the TG boys are supposedly be doing something on their own, like in a race or a challenge, but not in a car review. There it is perfectely accaptable.

So, when Top Gear does cocking about, you guys are not happy. When they finally do something more classic on the track (big pointless 4x4), you're not happy. And when they try to do something a bit different (albeit essentially similar as the Fiesta's film), you're not happy either... What do you want?

Me, I enjoyed it very much. Some funny nonsense at the beginning in the form of the Airport trucks race, nice news (albeit with too much english references I didn't entirely got), some classic action on the track and in the end a pretty good film of an affordable hot-hatch. What's not to like?

I gave up reading the thread by now. Too many people complaining.

The only complaint I have is that the episode felt like what watching Dave must be like. Everything in it was brilliant, but had this "it's been done"-feeling to it. I liked the Twingo test, which actually was useful consumer advice packaged with a certain flavour (something the first seasons of TG were full of, see "insider deals with James and Richard"). Sure, it was mad, stupid, overdone and full of SFX shots, but the pricing of body panels and how good it is at handbrake turns are definitely useful facts for potential hot hatch buyers. Still, it was a rehash of the Fiesta test from last (?) season.

Same with the airport vehicle racing: great mindless fun, the first time in ages my girlfriend laughed aloud while watching Top Gear, a brilliant piece of television, but sadly, essentially the same piece as both?the mobile home and the bus race.

The news had the Village People, but, as in every episode, suffered from a lack of actual news.

But this "stupid, expensive SUV's"-film. Man, what a work of art. Maybe some of the jokes were recycled, too, but what a beautiful film, what magnificantely stupid cars, what a (if we are honest) to the point, in a way even factual review of them. One of the few perfect "car show" moments in recent Top Gear history.

All in all, 7/10 - great stuff, but two of three films have been seen before.

BTW, I challenge anyone here to find even worse episodes than the entire 1st series of the new TG. Just had a go at viewing those eps, and I've never seen such rubbish in my life :tvhorror:. Jason Dawe was frankly terrible; glad they got rid of him for James.

Ok, good challenge ... also i want to agree that Jason was terrible and it was a good thing they replaced him by James, but still season 1 had its highlights to be honest, not as much as other seasons but still very watchable...

Back to your challenge:
There are 2 episodes that come to my mind pretty fast, which i wish they never produced! And that is episode 11x00 the Ground Force Sports Relief Special and the Top Gear Of The Pops Comic Relief Special of 2007.

Back to season 1. To be fair it was their first season of the new series and I also think it was the "worst" complete season compared to the other seasons up to season 13... But here are some nice bits from season 1:
- some studio bits: like jezza showing and revving the zonda in the studio
- zonda vs murcialago review
- vanquish vs ferrari 575 with damon hill
- s-class vs A8 review
- maybach review
- peugeot rc
- jason visiting a school and showing some supercars to kids
- A6 vs E-class
- golf mk4 vs golf mk1 review
- radical vs plane challenge
- proper SUV offroad test in episode 1x10
- and lets not forget they had some proper cool wall in that season, without the overly comedic (less focused on cars) cool wall u get nowadays ... when it even airs

To be honest, if this season continues like episode 14x04 than i will vote season 14 as the worst ever season compared to the others... But I still hope something is coming for the next episodes that make me change my mind. But I can already say that this season is not gonna be one of my favorites.

:mrgreen: I love how some people here go all defensive when people complain about this episode. While i gave this episode 5/10 i'm not worried as there have been some good episodes already this season so they defiently still got it. Even with this episode i loved the Land Rover studio part.

One thing as a car lover i would like them do is actually talk about cars in the news :( With this they have been totally lost this season. Even with the non car related news they haven't even managed to be funny imho.

Last edited: