[14x04] December 6th, 2009

[14x04] December 6th, 2009

• Total voters
9/10

I think we've reached the point where Top Gear has done so many different things that nobody's ever going to come to a consensus on what the perfect episode is.

pretty good!

pretty good!

I found this episode very entertaining actually equally as much as last week (with the airship and Lancias). Certainly a lot better than the awful electric car episode. There was plenty of cars in this week and it was nice to see the 3 of them going over the 4x4s. Pity that Clarkson took over the reviews for everything this week though! Far too much Clarkson, not that I don't like him, but I much prefer it when all 3 of them get a say as they are all very good.

The race was funny, Ross Kemp stuck in the book made me laugh and overall quite an amusing episode - excluding the news section which has detoriated into meaningless ramblings every week!

Actually, not as bad as many people complain, I got some nice chuckles out of it.

A couple of points, why no dragrace of the uber-SUVs? They had them together on the track, would have been interesting to see. The airport race was quite pointless, but I :lol:ed at the bendy-bus tank-slapper.

The little Renault made the 360 spin in the tunnel :shock:, awesome! Why did they have to kill the car off and crash it so much? :cry:

I just rewatched the SUV test. It was actually top notch! You could have slotted that segment into earlier seasons and it would have felt right at home, and the discussion after the test was more than welcome.

much better then the ep1, 2, & 3...which almost sleep on the chair..

Watched the episode and loved it! This series has been great so far, I feel the problem that some people have and for me at least series 5 to 8 where amazing, simply because we hadn't seen any of the things they were doing before. Sadly they are going to start repeating themselves, thats the nature of car crash tv, there is only so far you can go.

As they have said eventually they are going to return to being a car program, once the buzz and hype about top gear dies down they can go back to being a program for car fans and still know they will get a few million viewers a week.

So far great series from a great program!

The first 3 episodes were great. The Romania Grand Tour was one of the all time greats! But the 4th was quite... it was like watching one of the Clarkson DVDs. Fun and games and a lot of Jezza everywhere, not much sense or drama though. You kind of know in advance that he'll drive fast tell a few jokes and destroy a few cars. Nice to watch, but not good enough for TopGear proper. Whenever the challenges are challenging it's fun to watch even when you know they'll eventually fail with a lot of cocking about on the way.

Btw, I really like Guy Ritchie's films but the interview turned out so dull! It's like they've deliberately collected all the not-so-good bits of the season into 1 episode. I hope normal services will be resumed in 2 weeks.

I thought that the airport bit was a bit long, and was surprised that I enjoyed Ritchie's part after some of the negative stuff.

I had no idea he was doing the Sherlock Holmes movie!

Overall..I give it a 7. :)

As they have said eventually they are going to return to being a car program, once the buzz and hype about top gear dies down they can go back to being a program for car fans and still know they will get a few million viewers a week.

When did they say this??

The airport race was really boring and pointless.

Also, there should be an equal ammount of car reviews for everyone in every episode. James hardly appeared in this episode and Jeremy made two car reviews one after the other - the SUVs and the Twingo.

Last edited:
SUV thing: I really enjoyed this. Classic Top Gear with no gimmicks-for-the-sake-of-gimmicks. Obviously the cars were going to be wasting and expensive.

This

SUV reminded me most of classic TG eps before series 7 and actually one of my favorites from this segment. The fact so many ppl hated it reflects whats wrong w current Top Gear fans today. Show and its fans have really lost its way. That's what happens when it tries to pander to the lowest common denominator to get the most cheap laughts.

When did they say this??

Andy Wilman said this in one of his TG blog columns. And I really hope this is true. The show is kind of hitting its limit for cheap laughs and it will be refreshing to see the show scale down and go back to what it used to be,

Andy Wilman said this in one of his TG blog columns. And I really hope this is true. The show is kind of hitting its limit for cheap laughs and it will be refreshing to see the show scale down and go back to what it used to be,

so basically if all start bashing this new format simultaniously, we'll get old top gear back?

i think i remember reading something like this too.

so, i'm still wondering, Did Jezza really do the jump nearly at the end, same applies at the upside down in the tunnel thingy, i kind of think it was a Stunt man, any thoughts ?

so, i'm still wondering, Did Jezza really do the jump nearly at the end, same applies at the upside down in the tunnel thingy, i kind of think it was a Stunt man, any thoughts ?

tunnel would have been stunt man

as for the jump at the end, i think they outfitted the car to use the compressed air method to go flying. seeing as a window is blown out, that can be the only explanation.

Airport racing - better than I expected it to be since it was a leftover but the whole "Touring Car Drivers trashing another form of transport" is getting really lame.

News - is it ever going to be funny ever again?

4x4's - dull, pointless, and several minutes of my life I will never get back.

Guy Ritchie - no wonder Madge divorced him. What a dull bastard.

Twingo - essentially a rehash of the Fiesta thing and the only thing that prevented this episode scoring a 1.

Actually quite glad they aren't on next week then the memory of tonight has a chance to fade before 14x05 which I may then be able to sit down and watch with some enthusiasm.

Well said in a nutshell. Apart from one thing, the airport race didn't do it one bit for me as we had seen something similar already in the past.
The drivers were under "Strict instructions of no-contact" which was always going to mean "let's smash the shit out of each other" (Was so obvious I saw that coming in my dreams the night before), the fire and the luggage and the catering trucks were always going to empty themselves on the track and Richard Hammond was always going to pull (what he hoped "funny") faces whilst yelling aaaarrrrrgh ......

Still I pissed my pants when Jezza went to say something like: "In the boot of the Twingo, you have enough space to hold a Ross Kemp" :lol:

As the superb analogy about our favourite band went, I shall watch the next episode without condition.
The other thing that gets me gradually bored is the fact that I keep watching old episodes on Bravo, that doesn't help believe you me. :p

tunnel would have been stunt man

as for the jump at the end, i think they outfitted the car to use the compressed air method to go flying. seeing as a window is blown out, that can be the only explanation.

Yes, either they used compressed air, but I think they more likely pulled it with a steel cable like its done with crash tests... Anyway there was nobody sitting in the car and this wasn't CGI (believe me, i work in this business)...

The tunnel bit I don't know either and I don't care a lot to be honest, but I think it was Jeremy himself, since it wasn't more dangerous than the airport race because the tunnel diameter was very small...

Yes, either they used compressed air, but I think they more likely pulled it with a steel cable like its done with crash tests... Anyway there was nobody sitting in the car and this wasn't CGI (believe me, i work in this business)...

The tunnel bit I don't know either and I don't care a lot to be honest, but I think it was Jeremy himself, since it wasn't more dangerous than the airport race because the tunnel diameter was very small...

i can't see the BBCs insurance allowing the main star to do that, especially one with a history of back problems. however if that were the case, knowing Jeremy, he'd probably go ahead and do it anyhow.