[14x04] December 6th, 2009

[14x04] December 6th, 2009

• Total voters
I think the SUVs review ruined it. They are really not our type of cars. I suppose Top Gear audience really don't care much for big gas sucking fancy SUVs. I skip most of the SIARPC. The airport race was like the caravan racing - I thought they would actually do something more creative about the airport problems (towing lugguages using a Lambo/Ferrari).

I liked the Twingo review.

I'm fairly certain not a single bit of that Twingo review was CGI. It'd cost too much to begin with, and what needed to be CGI'd that they couldn't do in the real world? Nothing. The tunnel loop was barely achieved and looked a bit messy. I'd suspect if it were CGI they'd have made it look a bit more correct. And, again, it goes back to those absurd visuals. Watching the Twingo go flying off the pier was EXCELLENT. Right up until the last moment you're not sure if they've done something so that they'll actually make the jump or, if not, what? To have it just dive right into the ocean like that was a great choice. Rather than end on some spectacularly successful note, as you'd expect in just about any other show, they spectacularly fail. It's great.

The Flying Part was CGI thats for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Watched it again and again! It is CGI!!!! The camera perspective out of the car looks like a cheap youtube fake (58:49) and the reflection at 58:51 is rubbish, the physics as well. At 58:58 the size of the car and ship is wrong etc etc.
Believe me, Its cheaper to put a CGI-Man in a dark room, then destroy an Renault. But the main reasons could be that they had no permission from Belfast to make the car sink or it was even to dangerous even for a stuntman.
BUT: It doesn't matter - CGI IS NOT ACCEPTABLE IN THE GREAT REALITY SHOW TOP GEAR!!!!!

Last edited:
LOL! I think you're forgetting that I'm awesome. :? I contribute nothing but incredible amazingness wherever I set foot.:cool::cool:

If MWF doesn't like the current format of the show (which has been this way for some time now) then why doesn't he just fuck off leave? :mad:

I think the majority of TRUE current Top Gear fans would rather see people pointing out good aspects of the show each week rather then the tired slatings offered of by MWF and others. Of course some will not like how TG is nowadays, and of course they should piss off to the 5th gear forum if they care so much about seriousness. :driving:

MWF and TG offenders - :nazibanned:

Dude, what? You think long-standing, well-liked and -respected members of this forum should be banned because their opinion differs from yours? Do you even read the boards besides the episode discussion threads?

Banning happens to stupid n00bs who don't understand how to be part of a community. Expressing the opinion that TG makes episodes which are not "OMGTHISISSOAWESOME" is not grounds for being kicked out.

So please STFU.

Dude, what? You think long-standing, well-liked and -respected members of this forum should be banned because their opinion differs from yours? Do you even read the boards besides the episode discussion threads?

Banning happens to stupid n00bs who don't understand how to be part of a community. Expressing the opinion that TG makes episodes which are not "OMGTHISISSOAWESOME" is not grounds for being kicked out.

So please STFU.

I think it got itself banned anyway! Surprised we had to wait until the 4th episode before one of them popped up. There's usually at least one a season.

Well.

Airport racing: stupid, skipped.
X5 vs Audi: decent
Renault: Not quite as good as the fiesta review but still hilarious

all in all 6/10 for the episode +1 for the basement joke :D

Changing tack a little and getting away from knocking the episode and the direction of the show in general (neither of which I am happy with but I realise I am one voice among millions) what's the verdict on the Twingo in the tunnel? Assuming it wasn't Clarkson actually driving was it done for real or was it CGI? Before you make up your minds remember that the makers of the original Italian Job attempted it and nearly carried it off but for slime on the tunnel walls causing the Minis to lose grip at critical moments.
And at this point I'd like to say a huge "cheers" to Dave for showing a Fifth Gear episode where a stuntman attempted to loop the loop with a Toyota Aygo. He made it... but only just; the Aygo was a fraction of a second from falling off. The exact speed needed to get it right without demolishing the loop had been calculated at 36 mph.

And so it was with the Twingo in the tunnel; 17 m/s = 37 mph (as Jezza just about managed to tell us) - and it worked - but again, only just, because it did come unstuck but was fortunate enough to land on its wheels.

What it reminded me of, mostly, was an advert for the Fiat Uno in 1983 which did much the same stunt.

And finally, it is part of a wider problem with advancing technology and the increasing noisiness of the internet that any doubt has already been cast on this stunt. If it's a still shot, it's photoshopped, if it's a video, it's CGI, ad nauseam...

You're one of the people who complain about there not being enough cars.... Makes me wonder if they could do anything to make you happy!

Edit: I'm starting to think that the recession has started to make people feel a lot differently about expensive things getting destroyed.

By doing something like episode 3, but better without all the unfunny junk in it.

Worst episode I can remember. Not one redeeming feature.
Episodes 1 and 3 were great, but 2 and 4 have been dire, 4 the worst.

Yet again not that good episode. :(

Everything was so scripted - so much worse than last and older seasons. Nothing is believable anymore - it's all so 110% fake this season. You dont even get a doubt anymore, that it could be ''real''.

The acting is so BAD this season!
Season 14 is coming to be the weakest of them all. :/

Last edited:
ok, it was fun to watch so, 8/10.

the bottom line is, YES, its scripted and YES, sometimes it can be overproduced or even forced. YES, they are becoming pretty predictable and YES, they are starting to repeat themselves but you know what? I DONT CARE! ITS FUN TO WATCH! i mean, if you didnt think that Jezza was going to destoy that car then you just arent that into the show, im sorry, and if you didnt think that the second you saw the ferry that the cars was going into the water then you just (no offence) dumb. NO, it wasnt CGI, it was real TG. do you people who are calling this CGI have any idea what Andy is willing to do for a good show? do you guys have a clue? the answer is ANYTHING...ANYTHING!!! that is why we are all here. not because we like a show about cars, but, because we love a show about 3 guys who love cars and a producer who is trying to kill them! so, my point is, no, Jezza was not in the car, and NO, niether was the other guy. yes it was real and yes it was driven by a stuntman, you know the first dead givaway? the window was part way open when it hit the water. that is to help open the door when its under. watch again. and for gods sake, wahct it with a sense of humor. stop analizing the f-ing show!

anyways. good show. FUN!

Yet again not that good episode. :(

Everything was so scripted - so much worse than last and older seasons. Nothing is believable anymore - it's all so 110% fake this season. You dont even get a doubt anymore, that it could be ''real''.

The acting is so BAD this season!
Season 14 is coming to be the weakest of them all. :/

:wall:

i disagree. read my last post.

I have no idea why people are hating on this episode.
I thought it was a good comeback after the last 2 episodes.
Jezza was on form!

I'll score it at 8/10!

a good comeback from what? you have to dislike cars to like the last episode.

Episode 3 was pretty good minus the stratos thrashing

Last edited:
I thought this episode was more cohesive than recent episodes, though not very interesting. Since they don't really do any car reviews anymore, why waste one on these SUVs that no one cares about? I was pleased to see actual interaction in the studio instead of stupid 1-liner toilet humor jokes that is the "news" these days, though they of course managed to stick some in for good measure. The guest was nothing to write home about, and the Renault review could and should have been better. Maybe Top Gear should go down to 1 series a year so they can concentrate on making decent, creative films on a consistent basis.

Last edited:
If you've been following my remarks lately, you know that I have a bit of a problem with the direction Top Gear has been taking for some time now. As other users have noted in this thread, the show is on its way from a 'car show with some cocking about' to a 'cocking about show with some cars'. Said users did it much more eloquently than I ever could, so I won't even try.

Nonetheless, I did enjoy this episode. I actually think it was the best one of the current season so far. The content may have been repetitive (airport race, Renault review) or a bit dull (SIARPC), but overall, it gave me a handful of laughs and generally a good time without the awkward moments I've had in so many episodes of late. Certainly not a killer in terms of covering new ground, but a solid effort with a whiff of the good old times.

8/10

Not the best so far this season, I could definetly tell they were trying too hard, specially Hammond, this show lacked some James May to bring some sensible stuff into it.

The Renault's plates have some continuity errors every now and then, but I don't think CGI was involved in the stunts.