[14x04] December 6th, 2009

[14x04] December 6th, 2009

• Total voters
I'm sorry, but where is 'Top Gear' when jeromy says that a big 4x4 with a great enginge is nonsense? were they manipulated by greenpeace :hmm:?

all in all was this episode a bit boring.. give it a 7!

The Airport Vehicles: It's a rehash, but enjoyable.
News: Meh.
SUV's: Not bad, I guess. I'd love a test drive of the audi.
SIARPC: Skipped it.
Twingo: Rehash: Not bad, but it's been done before.

I gave it a Seven.

i really liked SUV review, (anybody?), even though it was all about Range Rover i guess, but it's great, because i love rangies so i can't complain at all.

the airport challenge was a bit dull (i've never really liked this sort of challenge) but it isn't that bad either.

News, imo better than the previous ones. it's decent.

the twingo challenge, i'll repeat someone, was a little bit... ok... very pointless. so it is a huge huge huge - from me.

i don't know why i'm even reading these comments even though predictably i knew people will hate this season so what's the point of reading this anyway <_<

i don't absolutely care is it bad or not, because this is the only TV show i watch, and yes i'm that boring :p

...and yes i still gave it... a 10... god i've been drunk for a while, damn, but it's too late :wall:

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but where is 'Top Gear' when jeromy says that a big 4x4 with a great enginge is nonsense? were they manipulated by greenpeace :hmm:?

all in all was this episode a bit boring.. give it a 7!

i think you may have missed the point he was making and i believe that was why would you want a 500+ Hp and 700+ Tq SUV when you could just have a sedan(saloon) like a MB-AMG or even a M-BMW? i think that is what he meant by "nonsense" as he even said, it was not that good on or off the road before and they may have just made it worse.

Quite decent, eventhough few mishaps.

The Airport Vehicle Challenge Challenge was just complete waste of time, those kinda things are getting just hidious, fun to watch them wrecking them but still, rubbish.

News are getting better, but aren't really there where they should be. They still need proper car news, loved the "YMCA-people" at the back as someone said.

4x4 test was decent, and gave a laugh but nothing really good at it. Pointless, but funny.

Guy Ritchie was kinda dull and didn't really care about it

But Twingo test, LOVED IT, don't know why people hated it for being stupid and so. But I rather liked it. Was really an "acid trip" that made me laugh. More of those would be good. Next time a Supercar perhaps?

So 8/10 overall, because of the Twingo test, would have been 7 without it. I know they can do ALOT better, if they would just care about the cars more.

Last edited:
Loved last night's ep, apart from the distinct lack of James May :cry:

LOVED the airport bit, cocking about of the on-the-edge variety. The no-contact rule always means fun and mayhem on Top Gear :p

News, good. Got a chuckle out of the marmalade quote, but to be honest can't remember much else (My brain is fried after my Finance exam :( )

Really liked the triple review.
The Range Rover with the self-replenishing drinks cabinet and magical screen : WANT!!!!!!! :blink:
I loved the lads' giddy excitement at all the gadgets :p

Guy Ritchie...Does he always talk like David Brent? :blink: I did like his interview though, and his lap was pretty...frivolous.

And the return of Mr. Needham! :D I love those kind of reviews, and was definitely on par with the Fiesta review from series 11 :)

8/10 from me
More James next week!!

After further review...I gave it a seven, same as 14x03, but I think this one might hold up better over the long run. Additional thoughts (here).

I'm looking at some grainy video with out of sync audio that took twice as long as usual to download. What was wrong with Divx and Mininova?

Ok just finished watching it just then and I was really struggling to decide whether to give it a 7 or a 8. But alas in the end it was a 7/10.

First up, the airport racing segment. Just the thought of another one of these sort of segments put me into a negative mood as we all already knew what was going to happen and these sort of stunts are starting to get lame sadly. Pretty much race around a track until everything just crashes and somebody flips over for no apparent proper aim. At least with the motorhome and bendy bus ones they had a proper aim (well not really proper but an acceptable one) while this didnt... so i gave this part a 7/10

Next up is the news! it was again relatively average and i definitely did have a few chuckles at the gay people in the background from that music thingy. I did get lost with some of the references they had concerning the sponsorships but it wasnt bad. But overall it was nothing spectacular but still kinda fun. 8/10

The BMW X5 M, Audi Q7 and Range Rover segment was relatively good with some nice camera work. But nothing spectacular again but I did enjoy seeing the Range Rovers features and the drinking cabinent in the souped up one. So 8/10 there.

The guest was average and nothing really exciting, so 6.5/10. Though the sherlock holmes movie doesnt look that bad i suppose...

Finally the Renault Twingo test well i started out with high spirits as it looked like a segment which would be similar to the outstanding Fiesta one last year. It started out looking pretty good with the nice camera angles in the town and answering those prompts on screen. Laughed a bit at the "is it green" test again lol

The tunnel bit was a very cool concept and looked great butI really question its legitimacy as for something at this amount of risk they would of had to of done some pretty serious safety precautions so I imagined that they used a stunt driver with a modified Twingo with a roll cage. But i did wish they expanded on it and showed it going through the tunnel more.

The ice ring part was well nothing amazing and felt pretty similar to the Jaguar on ice ring back in the Winter Olympics special about 3-4 years ago. Though this also where my video got cut also, right after that guy was hit at a staggering 1mph. So from all that i gave it 7.5/10

So pretty much a solid episode but yet nothing amazing, 7/10. This series has been disappointing for me as usually every second series is absolutely amazing and I always look forward to it, but this has broken the trend. (i.e 8,10,12 and was suppose to be 14)

I'm looking at some grainy video with out of sync audio that took twice as long as usual to download. What was wrong with Divx and Mininova?

Mininova doesn't share torrents anymore, legal stuff. That might be wrong with that, don't know about divX

Well Mininova no longer hosts torrents, for one. ;)

(Well, they still do, just not stuff that is copyrighted with no license/permission).

Whoa! 5/10! And those 5 points are there solely because of the epic screen in the Range Rover and the hilarious-ness when they "found" James on the rear view camera.

One of the worst episodes yet, IMHO :(

I'm surprised at the flack this episode is getting, i thought this was the best episode of the season so far, i felt there had been something missing in previous episodes.

Everything in this episode pointed at the complaining "FAKE!!" people, from Richard at 'Heathrow' and 'Clarkson' doing the roll in the Twingo with a ridiculous crash helmet.

None of the episode was CGI, the roll only just made it, sparks and all, and was clearly done by a stunt driver (Top Gear Stunt Man?) with added safety equipment.

The Flying Part was CGI thats for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Watched it again and again! It is CGI!!!! The camera perspective out of the car looks like a cheap youtube fake (58:49) and the reflection at 58:51 is rubbish, the physics as well. At 58:58 the size of the car and ship is wrong etc etc.
Believe me, Its cheaper to put a CGI-Man in a dark room, then destroy an Renault. But the main reasons could be that they had no permission from Belfast to make the car sink or it was even to dangerous even for a stuntman.
BUT: It doesn't matter - CGI IS NOT ACCEPTABLE IN THE GREAT REALITY SHOW TOP GEAR!!!!!

The flying part was not CGI.
The car flying off the end of the dock was in all the papers a while ago.

I quite enjoyed this episode, It felt like a return to a few seasons ago (mostly because it was not one film) but any Top Gear is great top gear. Did not care for the guest. I did not like the luxury SUV's but the Airport vehicles were fun. (Someday one of hammonds racing series will catch on) and the Twingo review was a classic.

Lurker here who doesn't post much, but I have to chime in here and say I'm really getting disappointed in Top Gear nowadays, barley find it worth it to download each new episode.

I've seen just about every Top Gear episode and everything in these last few episodes (and really, last few seasons, but this season is taking it quite far) has been frustratingly predictable and much too obviously scripted and fake. Before anyone says "blah blah blah, well duh, everything on TV is fake," well, Top Gear has done stuff in the past that was much more incredible than what they are doing now, and it wasn't scripted. First example that comes to mind was the 24 hour race they did with the BMW. Everything was brutally real like the compassion the guys showed to each other (Jeremy to Richard after he crashed into that other car) and the fatigue they suffered from racing 24/7 and trying to fix the car.

I can see how people who just started watching Top Gear (say since season 11/12ish) are finding all the episodes hilarious and epic, but I can't see how anyone who's seen most of Top Gear could find any of this new and refreshing or even funny.

Also tired of the guys always picking on May, as, from seeing the other the host show's hes done (Big Ideas, Edge of Space, Toy Stories), he has so much more to offer than just being the guy who the other two always pick on and make fun of and imply he's gay.

I gave it a 3/10

Last edited:
-Airport boring
-SUV wasn't really funny and who cares about these cars if you want such a thing buy a amg g65
-sircap skipped
-roadtest wasn't as good as the ford was (by far) they could have done al lot more about the tunnel thing thats something i wanted to see for a long time.
-5/10