[14x05] December 20th, 2009

[14x05] December 20th, 2009

• Total voters
The obviously did the art thing because they needed to fill in the time , they could've better done that with some award or a cool wall or "another use for that v8" bit
The rest is staged as hell , 7/10

I found myself on Facebook from half way, if not before. DULL !!!

The Noble was about as pointless a car as there can be, even if you have ?200k to spunk on such a machine, that would not be any sane persons choice. All the alternatives JC showed would leave enough cash for a track car AND entry into some races. Well reviewed, but utterly pointless !

Button was good. He always seems a genuinely nice bloke, the sort I could enjoy a pint with before I cane him on the track ;)

As for the rest of it, DRIVEL !!!! I didn't watch most of it so can't really comment. I had the audio on in a window behind, but was never tempted to return to it. They say you should quit whilst you're ahead; well, they've missed the boat !

I loved the episode, I can see where you're all coming from though but people say in here "obviously some is staged, get over it".. and then moan about the staged-ness...

I think this blurry line between real and fake is important and they just need to fall back onto the right side, that's all :)

If they'd have put another single car test/road test on and made the art gallery segment a tad shorter then I reckon it would have mad all the difference.

Odd question but... did anyone catch the song on the Dr Who advert right before the show?

I'm not even gonna argue with you lot. A bunch of miserable... I have friends over here...been watching TG for some time now..and all of us LIKE this episode! I'm failing to understand your claptrap...

I see a trend of bumbleheads repeating ''thatz staged, wtf, i h8 that, i don't watch it through, didn't watch it but i know it's shit''. Why are you here then? Why posting?

Why trying to spoil it for someone who might like it, doesn't watch it and the repeats after you, without being certain of his policy on the episode, just so he fits in..God...

Liked the Noble. 9/10
News, well usual Christmas nonsense, but it was ok. 7/10
SIARPC, Button not aswering questions, being boring 5/10
Art Gallery, just stupid entertainment which was extremely boring -5/10

I wish they would make a show ABOUT cars again, and not try to make some stupid entertainment WITH cars every singe episode.
They should also hide the scripted bits a bit better. It's just too obvious.
Top Gear really lost it's way in Season 14, but I'm looking forward to the special next week.

Nobel test ? Classic Top Gear. No frills, no antics, and that made it a great test. This isn't the demise of Top Gear ? this is perfect.

News ? Mmm? Rapide. And the classic Christmas gifts review. Great! And then it got all firey and gimmicky. But then it got back to the good stuff.

Art special ? Started off with an interesting, albeit gimmicky premise. It got worse, and I got bored. Of course I won't stop watching the show, but I don't think this will get a repeat watching. Predictable jokes like getting shot in the crotch and May's sculpture falling over aren't helping the show, I don't think.

- M600 was okay (bit too short maybe, spoiled by lack of timing, content and finesse)
- News felt too generic
- Button was good, a nice bloke (and it's always fun to see pros in the RPC)
- Art gallery was rubbish (no other reason than to have an excuse for cocking about behind the piece in the first place, generic "I play my role as Clarkson/Hammond/May" happenings, predictable content, overly ridiculous stuff (F1 paintballs), ...)

- Overall a 5/10 for me, sailing close to a 4/10

I remember laughing through whole episodes, with only a couple of misses by the guys. Now, I laugh a couple of times and see a bootload of misses everywhere else.

Last edited:
I'm not even gonna argue with you lot. A bunch of miserable... I have friends over here...been watching TG for some time now..and all of us LIKE this episode! I'm failing to understand your claptrap...

I see a trend of bumbleheads repeating ''thatz staged, wtf, i h8 that, i don't watch it through, didn't watch it but i know it's shit''. Why are you here then? Why posting?

Why trying to spoil it for someone who might like it, doesn't watch it and the repeats after you, without being certain of his policy on the episode, just so he fits in..God...

Yeah, why have a discussion about something when obviously some people disagree. That's not a discussion. Everyone should like the same thing and only come here, on a BBS for the discussion of Top Gear related subjects, to praise and congratulate the TG team no matter how crap they get. It's outrageous that anyone should have a negative opinion, and ridiculous that they should choose to air it !

The real saddos are the sycophantic twats who blow smoke out of JC & CO's @r$? when they quite simply don't deserve it. If we go on encouraging them by praising such dross as they aired tonight then we might as well rope in Jason Daw, Ginny Buckley and Ken Gibson to replace them, it might just make for a better show.

Come on TG team, you can, have and MUST do better. PLEASE !!!!!

The noble was great! The rest of the ep. was a snorefest...

And for our non-UK members I hope you have unlimited connections cos you're gonna be as pissed as fuck you wasted any of it on this POS.

I neither regret downloading nor do I want the hour of my life back.

Sure, there were better TG episodes... but it's better than anything on the airwaves over here right now.

I kind of liked it, scripted for sure, boring in parts, but then I am quite drunk, so that fitted the mood...I will rewatch it tomorrow. ;)

Like the Noble a lot - one of the most genuine pieces Jeremy has done in a long time, with some proper reactions. In fact, I'm watching this bit again right now because it just works. It felt like it could have come from any point in the last, say, four or five years, possibly because the Noble being quite a challenging car gave him something to actually think about. He looked like he was actually enjoying it, despite the fear. That proper enjoyment has been missing this series, and it was good to see.

Wasn't completely convinced by the art gallery film, but it entertained me. I liked the idea if not the execution, but I do think that after the dust settles, it will stand up to future viewings. Slightly oddly edited though. However, it did inspire me to look up the beginning of The Italian Job on YouTube, which is a definite bonus - and features a car that I would put in an art gallery :D

SIARPC: I've always liked Jenson Button, and I was happy to see him back on the show. So that was fine by me.

Which brings me onto the best thing about the show for me.

There was a suggestion that the old spark was maybe a bit back in this week's studio segments. There is only so much that can be achieved in a short space of time, but I do feel that some of the criticisms that have been levelled at the show recently had been taken on board. With that in mind, I was pleasantly surprised at this year's Top Gear Christmas present extravaganza. Anyone who thinks series 14 has been littered with knob gags should remind themselves of the innuendo-fest that was the pre-Christmas 2008 episode, complete with 'cock rings' and James May's pork sword... It was quite odd to be anticipating knob gags and for them not to arrive, but I thought it felt like they'd actually tried to pull back from that.

It was also lovely to have a first glimpse of the Rapide. I know some people think it's a bit pointless when they have a car in the studio just as a show car and they can't put it around the track and they can't film anything with it but given that it's only been seen on the street in the UK within the last fortnight, and doesn't formally launch until April, I was happy to see it at all. Not that I'm saying that was a hark back to earlier shows, but they used to do that from time to time in the past. It really is a thing of beauty. If they'd had that, they could have shoved it in the gallery and not needed all the other malarkey!

Anyway, I've given that far too much thought.

What it boils down to is that I was just glad to see the boys not looking completely knackered for the first time this series, and actually responding instead of sitting there being exhausted.

The strange thing though, is that although I didn't hate any part of the show, and that I thought everything but the big film felt very good, it somehow managed to feel like it was less than the sum of its parts. Does that make any sense at all? Perhaps the lack of substance to the MIMA film brought down an otherwise nice show.

I don't see the point in picking apart the negatives too much at this stage. Andy has acknowledged the problems that have beset this series, and hopefully this will bode well for the remaining series, however many there may be. They're aware that this has not been Top Gear at its best. I'm aware it has not been Top Gear at its best. Fingers crossed next series will be a return to form.

Noble review was decent.

Maybe the art museum segment wasn't as action packed, but it still beats electric cars and f1 wing renault avantimes any day.

A lot of boring stuff, but i actually laughed a few times at the second segment of the art gallery, and i want a fork with a wrench on the end :p
And I'm looking forward to the bolivia episode :D

btw, wasn't it supposed to be 7 eps this season?