[14x05] December 20th, 2009

[14x05] December 20th, 2009

• Total voters
3/10. Get back to cars!

Not good when our evil overlord doesn't like it...

I'm not even gonna argue with you lot. A bunch of miserable... I have friends over here...been watching TG for some time now..and all of us LIKE this episode! I'm failing to understand your claptrap...

It's the internet, son. You can be assured that internet folks are judgmental as much as lesbians take to Subaru's. It is just. A. Fact.

Just read Andy's blog, and I can actually say that I'm not sure if what I'm looking forward to the most, is Christmas or the South America special :)

Noble review = pretty good.

Button = decent SIARPC.

News = shit.

Art film = shit.

I turned it off about 10 mins from the end. 3/10.

Reactions: TC
I liked:
-the Noble M600,the way it looks, the fact that it has a Nakamichi CDplayer and a V8 60 degrees engine-the Lamborghini V12 is also 60 degrees...but for a different reason. the Volvo unit is built by Yamaha to be compact so it can be mounted transversely on Volvo's fwd platforms
-horse's head
-V8 shark-I already knew about it from car magazines but still, a great idea: I'm quite sure the artist got his inspiration from WWII airplanes that had a shark drawn on them, just like this one:
http://www.corbisimages.com/images/HU036787.jpg?size=67&uid=E8007103-1D90-40FC-B531-E28693A63AB8

-sound of F1 V10 engine
-James' audio guide
-Lamborghini Countach
-Jeremy's excuse-bus full of handicap children
-blonde girl between James and Richard

Reactions: MWF
I had a feeling not a lot of people liked this episode. And I was right.

The car review was good and Jenson was alright. I just wished they took the art thing seriously, or at least something that doesn't include ruining stuff.

7/10

Noble was amazing :) I LOVED that bit of the show

Presents were amusing

Art gallery, okay top gear up until now ive given you the benafit of the doubt, no mean comments no angry why is this so scripted but seriously. You dont need to make it so obvious your trying to get things to go wrong. James's statue falling over? thats just insulting my intelligence. I really wish you tried a little bit harder becasue that could have been so good, but it went so wrong! Like if you had actually tried on that painting the car thing, like properly that would have been something I would have admired. I dont know.... Im half and half, its good in thory and the bits you didnt fail at deliberatly were great. But moments lilke the statue falling over were just embarrising. I litterally cringed when I watched that.

Would have been an 8 but a couple of moments in the gallery bit were so bad it brought it down to a 7. If it wernt for the noble it would be a 6.

However as long as they enjoy making it, i will still want to watch it. I hope that they dont quit any time soon. Unless they really want to. But i hope not ;)

Reactions: MWF
Noble - Good review actually, not the best but not dull for me.

News - No, just no. Ruined my favorite segment of Top Gear with the lame xmas stuff.

Art gallery thing - The only thing I laughed at was the rental part. That seemed like a legitimate cock-up rather than something staged. That I guess should be a clear indicator about what is funny and what isn't.

SIARPC - Are they running out of guests or something? Dull other than the tail out action, seemed like Jensen was just defending himself for every question.

For the first time I've dumped the score below the mid range. Well below. 3/10

The San Diego chargers game was on and instead I was watching this. They made a 52 yard field goal right at the end, with 3 seconds left, score at 24 to 24 to win the game. And here I was watching this.

I was about to curse Top Gear but refrained. Not a good sign.

WTF??? A 52 yard field goal! man, that's fucking awesome! Wish I coulda bin there widya bro.

Rated 8/10.

To me, this show was a bit of a... Lancia.

In other words, it was ambitious but rubbish, which is exactly Top Gear sometimes.

Oh for fucks sake it's not that bad.

Noble, excellent.

News, Christmas tradition, and just as much of a success as it is every year. Yes, I look forward to the gift gags.

Art, very series 9, and the disasters in the first half were a bit forced, but it got better as it went, and there were several solid laughs. Not top form - James' audio tour gag was cringeworthy - but not the end of the world like people seem to be claiming.

Overall, it wasn't the best episode, but it's not the end of the world, turn the channel, cancel the series, it's all over bullshit people are spewing.

Well.... I liked the Noble review. :lol: Of course, I still wish they would venture outside of their airport/test track once in a while, when testing those cars. The cars are beautiful, but it's always the same backdrop. But oh well, still a badass and ridiculously fast car. :thumbsup:

The news was ... well, the news. The Xmas gifts were pretty good.

The art exhibit thing was a bore though.

5/10

I guess I have to agree to disagree. I find the concept of an art gallery about cars interesting, and whilst its funniness is debatable, I genuinely want to go and explore that gallery now. The BMW with outside on the inside looked really promising, for example.

Except obviously I can't go see the exhibition, as it's long gone, but you get my point.

I hate it when people write stuff like "WORST EPIOSODE EVER!" - but this one was just that.

Time to watch an episode of James' Toy Stories - at least he can be himself in that show...

I thought the noble review was very good, but I've always found jeremy's reviews a good watch and this one was no exception.

I thought May's review at the beginning of the news was an improvement that might bode well for the future, the news I quite liked and bear in mind everyone the looking at crap car related christmas gifts is a bit of a tradition now, just because they repeat something doesn't mean it's rubbish.

SIARPC was reasonable, never been a huge fan of this segment but I quite happily watched that.

Now the art show segment, I actually laughed my head off at this, yes the stupid bit where James statue fell over annoyed me but other than that I thought it was actually quite funny.

I've come up with a rule which I think will improve top gear immensely.

No more big split segment pieces that arn't about cheap car challenges (or similar) the art exhibition bit would have been far better as a smaller video, I think they could have edited it to make it much funnier than it was in the end because it was dragged out.

That's been my opinion of series 14, the content itself isn't bad it's just that they've stretched bits of film out that shouldn't have been, I presume because of time constraints. Make those bits shorter and pack cars into the freed up space, will make us much happier.

Noble review and Jenson was okey but rest was quite frankly, rubbish. I think I could actually sleep through the whole thing which would be a first for me.

It's like they purposely made this one terrible so that the Bolivia episode would seem 100x better than it actually is.

QFT!!!

Probably the worst episode, ever. The Noble and Jenson were alright, but everything else was horrible.

Yes, I also think they deliberately made it bad so people will go into next week's South America Special with low expectations. I really hope that's true.

No more big split segment pieces that arn't about cheap car challenges (or similar) the art exhibition bit would have been far better as a smaller video, I think they could have edited it to make it much funnier than it was in the end because it was dragged out.

That's been my opinion of series 14, the content itself isn't bad it's just that they've stretched bits of film out that shouldn't have been, I presume because of time constraints. Make those bits shorter and pack cars into the freed up space, will make us much happier.

THAT.

I've made much that point elsewhere - it's not so much that the ideas are bad, but that the edit has been off this season. Things have been hurriedly put together, and it shows. The two parters have seemed way too stretched to my mind at times, which has been a shame because there have been some very good ideas in there. It's a pity, but hopefully with more time to put into the next series, they'll sort that out.