[14x05] December 20th, 2009

[14x05] December 20th, 2009

• Total voters
dont you guys feel offended that top gear thinks that us viewers will believe that a paintball will survive like 1600degrees Celsius, and go through spaces far too small for it to fit, and come out of an F1 exhaust fine?

I find that amazing that being a car show they did that.

brutal.

Noble review - I actually enjoyed that bit. Didn't make me want the car but that could be as I was eyeing the hell out of the Ferrari every time when it came on screen but lol @ the choice of colour. It's not bad I just thought my eyes were going for a bit.

News - I liked it. Nothing more I can add to that.

SIARPC - Skipped but I usually do this for guests I think are boring, doesn't matter if I know them or not. Moving on.

Art Gallery - Now I'm a bit of an arty so I was a bit more interested in this segment than the others. I usually keep an open mind about things so I went in seeing what will happen. I didn't mind the beginning bits but as soon as Hammond's painting fell into the lake, I had a bullshit moment and scrubbed through the rest of it. I can agree that this segment was shit and that maybe it shouldn't have been filmed if that as going to be the end product.

Overall, a six. I didn't feel comfortable giving a lower mark so I settled for that. There's nothing else that I could say besides seconding the grade expectation analogy I believe Ozgirl used. We all hold Top Gear to a high standard because that's what we've seen in the past but now most of us feel that we're receiving substandard crap. I don't like to whine so I'm just going to leave it at that and finish paint my bathroom. Maybe crack open a beer and pop a lasagna in the oven while I'm at it.

On a TG scale it was pretty much a 1 for me. And as a show in general, not much better, really. It was a fairly horrible episode. And this, in the same season as #1 which to me was just about as close to a perfect 10 as it could get. The Noble bit didn't save it for me, wasn't that great to begin with and at the end of things it just felt shoehorned in. The art gallery thingy was just as boringly predictable as it was predictably boring. Yes, I already had some cheese with my whine, though frankly I am sad rather than annoyed.

Got a titter out of Clarkson bound up while they were using the dangerous laser cutter .. the rest of it was filler.

Overall one of the poorer episodes, the noble review was good, I enjoyed the news, however the art segment had too many problems with it. Just like with slamming a car door into James's car its just becoming to predictable and boring to always have James's stuff be ruined by one of the other two.

After reading Andy Wilman's post I think he hit the nail on the head, during the art bit they were simply trying far too hard to be their characters rather than themselves. Its a pity, some of the things were really well thought out, the Red Bull with paint on it to show the air flow was a great idea, but the second you knew Clarkson was driving the art car up you knew there was going to be an accident that ruined it.

I'll accept that they don't plan things out and that they only have one or two set up in a segment, but when its exactly the same things that happen every time (ie James's project getting ruined) then it makes the show feel overly thought out.

Overall a below average episode, Andy said the art segment was going in a new direction and I think it could have worked if it wasn't for a few segments, however it ended up becoming quite long winded and dull. Its a pity but I'm sure they will learn and move on.

Motorweek was less predictable and more entertaining to watch this week than this episode was.

3/10. Andy, guys, do whatever it takes to stop phoning it in. If you read this, I do pay for your show on iTunes, so I am a paying customer and not 'a freeloader.'

Last edited:
May is just slip into this discussion that I guess most members here actually like the idea of a gallery about cars and art related to cars, and that they would visit it? The problem so many people had with this piece of the latest Top Gear episode rather was in the execution than in the idea itself. That's how I understand it at least.

Last edited:
....actually my wife loved this episode. Why? 'Cause she's never watched Top Gear before. I had a hard time convincing her this was in fact a bad crisis TG episode...:blink:
anyway I'm looking forward the Bolivia special. Till now, they've never failed in sepcials...<_<

An art gallery with a collection of Group B Quattro's, T16's, 6R4's and Integrale's, then a selection of F1, Le Mans and other racers, and some vintage classics with maybe a Veyron to represent modernism would get me paying a visit.

There are technical museums out there for that purpose. No need to modify an art gallery.

If you have the opportunity, check out the Sinsheim technical museum.

I enjoyed it quite a bit because I love art and thought it was fun to watch.
Had it been in my town, I'd've been one of those ten geeks who showed up at 10am. :lol:

My local art museum has a Morgan Aero 8 on exhibit right now, and I actually stopped in to see it! :D

Like the BMW they painted. Great idea.

You are aware that it was not their idea ? A BMW (official?) race team used it decades ago (80's, I think). I am not sure if they mentioned it in the episode (I was half-asleep at the time).

I tried to search for the original car on the net, but it is not easy to use the right words.

This was the original Art Car, and it was a racing 3.0 CSL.

Bmw-Art-Car-1975-3.0-CSL-by-A-Calder-4-lg.jpg

If this was in reply to my post, that is not the car(s) that I meant. There was a time (I think later than that car) in which the painting on the outside of the car was sort of an engineering diagram of the inside of the car (things like the engine, suspensions, etc. I can't remember if there were also the legs of the driver painted on the outside of his door.)

and that 5 minutes i said to cut, use it for studio and audience interaction, cool wall (even though i find it silly sometimes)

Hmm, maybe my interpretation is wrong, but I think the cool wall is what they use when the episode is some minutes short and they don't have the money (or time) to film something to fill it.

I expect there will be lots of studio time in the last episode of this series (the one they said would be done "without money").

ok. Episode 5. man.

this one was rough.

Noble bit was good. not amazing but good. really interesting car. would have loved to see it in a real drag race though.
News. more of the same but i still laughed several times.
SiaRPC. suprisingly good. Button seems like a genuinely good guy.
Art Bit. . . . oh man. this one was almost as bad as the drivetime radio bit. My god it was preditable. the sign on the van gag, things falling over, audio guide, paintball gag.

ALTHOUGH. i did think the f1 car with the UV paint on it was really cool