[14x06] December 27th, 2009 [South America Special]

[14x06] December 27th, 2009 [South America Special]

• Total voters
I just finished watching it. 10/10 for sure, Top Gear at it's best like someone said before!

That jungle looked really scary and those chilean landscapes were absolutely beautiful - that really amde me wnt to go to Chile lol

I just wish they do a special here in Brazil :)

Very nice. Must have left off lots of material, coz it looked edited like hell. But good anyway, hope they be able to release some special specials uncut versions. The setting was amazing, 10/10 from me. I hope they make another one in South America (further south, Pampas, Patagonia) or a trip trhough the entire Panamerican road (2 ep special at least). Anyway - lots of cool places around the globe for many more great special episodes.

Hi, i?m form Chile, i?m a huge fan of TG and i always download de 720p version of final gear.
This summer in january (09?) i went with my family to the north of my country, at the same places where the TG boys appears on this episode, the border of Chile-bolivia, chungar? lake, Putre, Panamerican Road...

We went in car form Snatiago the capital of Chile (that it?s mor than 2000 km?s away) in car (Subaru Legacy 3.0R) and it was a really great trip, so i enjoyed this episode like no one before.

Here i leave you a google maps link in the place where the boys cars where inspected by that dog, so you can check on google maps or google earth the places where they go.
http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=es&ie=UTF8&ll=-18.281029,-69.137714&spn=0.00299,0.006539&z=18

Any questions of Chile or anything and i will answer happily (i hope).

Greetings from Chile.
Marco

PS:sorry for my english.

Interesting fact about Bolivia, most of the world's Lithium comes from there.

Not quite, Bolivia does have the world's largest reserve of Lithium, it however is not currently being mined. The Bolivian Government is currently building a test mine with a Japanese company.

11. Easily.

What a glorious piece of work. Stunning cinematography and everything felt like old top gear (save for Hammond's spill at the very end on the dune).

I was genuinely scared for them on the death road and up in the mountains. No way would I have done the death road. Jeremy, not known for his physical status, must have been hurting quite badly.

Nice choice of vehicles too, I owned a Suzuki Samurai, fun little truck in short spurts. I was impressed with their driving and I will assume they built that bridge on their own; awesome.

I want a crew special! They had to go through the same dangers. Being a production man myself I'm really interested to see how they fared.

I give it eleventy billion out of ten.

A good mix of humour and shit-your-pants-scary moments. No appearance by Che Stig, no buying each other ludicrous items, no backup vehicle in case of a breakdown...no problem.

I can imagine the Daily Fail is shitting bricks after watching this. Should make for a helluva article about Clarkson singlehandedly destroying the rainforests or something. :D

All I can say is that it was an incredible episode. I've been disappointed with the current series of Top Gear too, every episode just left me a bit disappointed. After watching this episode I had that epic feeling that I've just watched an awesome bit of program. It had me laughing from start to finish, it's what Top Gear should always be like.

10/10

That was amazing. A lot of 'oh shit!' moments, esp when Jeremy let the other car go by and the rocks are falling and the road is giving way and you know he didnt fall off but still scary...crazy.

I know I can't be the only one who was reminded of Charlie and Ewan riding their bikes down to Cape Town, South Africa in Long Way Down; the winching, the bridge building etc..

Well done boys!

6/10 for me, the polar and vietnam ones were much much better. since it seems the vast majority loved this episode any complaints from the ones that didn't think it was perfect will just come off as nitpicking.

it's so true. they are so quick to shoot down decent episodes, then when a mediocre one comes one, but features something different they rate it a million out of 10 and then shoot down those who dissagree.

What a great episode! But Richards "Missing-Handbrake-Joke" at the end was totally unnecessary and killed a little bit of the fun...

I don't think it was a joke. Not really.

Think about this: Richard's Land Cruiser was down to just two-wheel drive; and the brakes weren't functioning correctly at times. Notice James and Jeremy were having trouble in their vehicles when they were going down the dune...and they had fully-functioning three- and four-wheel drive cars (respectively). At the same time, though, there was also no way they were going to leave the Land Cruiser at the top; and there was no way he would -- quite possibly -- risk his life driving down it; it wouldn't be worth it. I think pushing it down and killing it was the only option.

So yeah. Pushed down on purpose but not for comic effect.

Brilliant episode that really stood out in an otherwise "meh" season--but it was so good it would have been a high point in the best of seasons. Some great unguarded moments, a few nail biters (seriously, is the BBC trying to kill these guys or what? The scene with Jeremy on Death Road was insane.) and my only complaint is that it seemed to come to a rather abrupt end. Other than that minor nitpick, I'd put it right up there with the Polar special.

I don't think it was a joke. Not really.

Think about this: Richard's Land Cruiser was down to just two-wheel drive; and the brakes weren't functioning correctly at times. Notice James and Jeremy were having trouble in their vehicles when they were going down the dune...and they had fully-functioning three- and four-wheel drive cars (respectively). At the same time, though, there was also no way they were going to leave the Land Cruiser at the top; and there was no way he would -- quite possibly -- risk his life driving down it; it wouldn't be worth it. I think pushing it down and killing it was the only option.

So yeah. Pushed down on purpose but not for comic effect.

i'm wondering if james had his 4wd repaired when the others got their cars jacked up... he did say he had everything that was wrong with the car fixed...

wish i could see the repair list
and it would have been nice if they had a budget for the repairs.

Oooh, I forgot about that! Yeah; he did get his Suzuki fixed.

(Still. ;))

Very nice. Must have left off lots of material, coz it looked edited like hell. But good anyway, hope they be able to release some special specials uncut versions.

considering the have a camera in each vehicle plus multiple vehicles filming further on and behind and they tape as much as 15 hours per day for each camera there is always going to have to be things cut. an extended version on dvd would be very nice though, like they did with Vietnam.

I really loved this episode. My only complaint is really that so much was obviously left out. 1 hr 15 min simply doesn't really do justice to the amazing trip that this probably was for the Top Gear team.