[14x07] January 3rd, 2010

[14x07] January 3rd, 2010

• Total voters
The LFA video was very good. Not perfect, but very very good. The rest was pretty mediocre, I have to say (though the "filler stuff" like the skateboard was fun to watch).

Great great and great! My favorite episode of the year save Bolivia. Had all the charm of the other "we ran out of money" show. Informative news segment, great, short individual films, and non-awkward banter in the studio! O happy day. I thought all three films were fantastic, and Carkson's was particularly hilarious. I hope to see more like this!

I felt good after the end of the episode, but felt sad that it was the end of the season, but also hopeful and anxious about the next season, as to when and how they will deal with that one.

I was a bit overwhelmed by the graphics on the LFA review, but thought it was part of the lunacy of the car anyway. And James's review was quite good, but found it a bit weird when they had the Road Sign lady on.

8/10 for a good SIARPC (I have seen him before on TV) and some good laughs.

I just don't feel that this was TG's finest hour. The show started off great with the beautiful LFA but then after that things kinda started to decline. It just wasn't exciting to watch. Jeremy Clarkson's test of the BMW X6 was exactly what any other amateur car reviewer could have given you on youtube and I didn't really think his little 10 second trips everywhere were all that funny either. He didn't even test the X6 M which has the 500+ horsepower engine but rather a diesel (A fuel which Jeremy never stops voicing his hate for). James's test of the VXR was for me the least exciting of all however. He just didn't seem that enthusiastic about the car and multiple times said things like "well I just couldn't think of anything more constructive to say". One of the reasons I think Top Gear is so good is because of the rich dialog and even if they don't have that, they can usually redeem themselves with great camera work and skillful driving. Today it was in rare form... I guess thats what next season is for

The LFA review was solid, it gave good info about the car, and the manga style effect really works for this car. They really hit the nail on the head about this car though, for 3x the price, I would just get a GTR instead. It has all the same high tech stuff that the LFA has (maybe minus the CF body), it goes just as fast, and it'll probably be just as reliable. Why would I pick the LFA over it?

Jeremy's expensive review on the X6 was fine, it's pretty funny, and it gets the point accross.

I actually thought James' review of the Insignia was pretty good, it's a boring car, so some history of road signs seems to go well with it.

Car of the Year, I don't really agree with it, I'd probably have to pick the GTR. But Car of the Decade, definitely the Veyron. It's so umcompromising, that's why it's so cool.

Overall, this is a great ep. I hope for the next season they reserve half the series for eps like this. That way they can keep the new audience without alienating us hardcore fans. 9/10.

Oh good, the show didn't crash and burn after Bolivia!

Interesting to see somebody got a new toy for Christmas, that comic-book editing software. I liked it at first, then I found it distracting. I think I need to see some more before I really know how I feel about it.

Seasick Steve was only fair as a SIARPC, but as this was my introduction to him I'm soooooo grateful! Got him on Spotify now and just may have to buy everything he's ever recorded. What an artist! Damn good music.

And I thought James's review and the bit with the road signs designer was quite enjoyable. Felt a bit like his side projects, how enthusiastic he can get about nerdy stuff that nobody actually cares that much for. :p Any James review is worth a watch in my book.

So, overall, I feel the past 2 episodes have restored my faith in the show. I hope they take a good, long break and come back with a new season that will leave me speechless.

I've just watched it on i-Player through my PS3 & to be honest it wasn't fantastic. Partly due to the lack of cars but mainly due to Hammond's poor knowledge of Lexus's background & his attitude towards them in general. Lexus's are far more luxurious, smoother, cleaner & better buit (not to mention reliable) than any German car & have been for years & I own a German car (never again(>_<)).
Lexus have made atleast 2 powerfull cars the Soarer Twin Turbo & the Aristo Vortex Twin Turbo also not forgetting that Lexus is i fact Toyota so therefore you can count the Supra Twin Turbo & the Celica GT4, perhaps a bit more research before he makes inaccurate statments on Tv.
I'll agree the price is over the top but then I'd buy it instead of a Ferrari as it's unique, where as Ferrari's are just overpriced Fiats & common as muck. I had a Ferrari 355 for about 9 months, very nice but build quality was poor & reliabilty wasn't s great either so I sold it for a Mazda RX7 FD3S which was far better in every way.

Only real good bit's was Clarkson's rip at the crummy BMW-X6, Hammond flying into the crimble tree, May's Saab new's report & Stig beating up Hammond & running off with he Golden Cock \(^_^)/

In short, 9/10 because of James' review and the lack of a Cool Wall for the series.

Long form:

Lexus LFA- really enjoyed that film. I totally agree with Richard that the car is too expensive and it will never be a cool car to be in simply because it's a Lexus. But damn that's an awesome car.

News- Liked the honesty (recording it over 3 weeks ago) and the openness about the issues with that (Jezza saying "next year' instead of "this year"). To be honest, they could've been recording this last Wednesday (because it was still 2009) and made that error. Ultimately, the news felt like how the news should be done: the boys give us some news and pick on each other. And when was the last time they made a teeth whitening joke?

BMW X6- First, we all know he did those bits in Hong Kong and Sydney while on the TG Live tour. Second, I enjoyed that film too. It was classic Jeremy, tell the truth and add just enough silliness. Not too much to make it over the top. Just enough to make us laugh.

SIARPC- I skipped it. I wasn't interested. I only went back when I read about the woman over Jezza's shoulder. If I met her in person, all I would be able to say is "Hello."

Insignia- The first half was fine and if they were able to stretch that out a minute or 2 longer, they could've done without the road signs thing and been good. But bringing the lady in in the middle of that ruined it. Either do the review or do the history of road signs, but not both.

TG Awards- I laughed at the Golden Cock fight. The gag over the car of the year was clearly forced. The choice for Car of the Decade (despite the decade not being over yet but everyone thinks "ooohhh, we're changing 2 numbers in the year. That must mean it's a new decade!" Stupid pillocks) was obvious.

Despite that, I still enjoyed the episode and it was a nice way to end a (I hate to say this) subpar year of TG.

I liked James having the "Road Sign Lady" on because I learned something. However, I think they could have omitted her comments on his shifting/driving and some of his "less than witty banter" with her in the restaurant, as I thought it forced on both their parts. I knows James isn't one for the ":jc: POWER! cars", but I think he could have found two to three minutes worth of commentary to replace the "forced bits" and the review, IMO, would have been the better for it.

8/10, I'm giving this one an 89% as it was almost A grade, but not quite. Having three reviews in one show was interesting, and they were all decent reviews. Clarkson had me laughing with the X6 review, and Richard's LF-A review was fairly good with some pretty neat graphics. The review James gave of the Vauxhall was very good, then he went and scared his interviewee which, to me, felt weird and stupid. Though, I must admit that in general I liked the road sign bit. The end felt like it should have come before James' video, as it left me feeling as though I just got pushed out the door. Good show overall, and a good end to the Series.

a little suprised by the high numbers, but i think it's because everyone is seeing "real top gear" and are excited by it. completely understandable and i agree.

however, i think the show could have been aranged differently, they put the most entertaining video at the beginning which in my opinion should have been the 3rd review. they started the show off strong, then let it die down as opposed to the other way around.

jeremy in the X6 should have been first since it wasn't the best or worse review. i found it a bit monotinous after the 3rd or 4th time he "went to...." could have stopped on the 3rd one and it would have still been funny.

then do james's video second. in my opinion one of, if not the worst james review i've seen.... and i think he does the best reviews normally, but that one was weak for him, he could have played with the car more and like everyone else says, "ejector seat" the sign lady,she was dull.

then finish with hammond. interesting car, interesting aproach. high energy, very impacting. i'm not a fan of that type of cartoon, but it suited what was going on very well so if i were reviewing that review by itself i would have given a 10.

the cool wall was re-introduced, just not how we all wanted :p

SIARPC interesting guy. boring lap. nothing we can do about that though. (wonder what the next car will be)

awards, just like always.

i gave it an 8. pretty good, but a little lack lustre.

I know it was a full 7 episodes long, but am I the only one who feels like this series just started?

And now it's over???

:cry:

oh one thing i loved. they spent time in the studio and i actually saw the audience physically laughing for the first time this series!

10/10 Awesome
The Lexus, wow, hope they make more reviews all flashy like that!

The rest of the show was fantastic!

I know it was a full 7 episodes long, but am I the only one who feels like this series just started? And now it's over??? :cry:

Yes, I feel like S14 has finally gotten started, but sadly that was it. Maybe because the first episodes were so forgettable ... ?

I gave it 7/10. I'm always restrained in these things because one day an 11 will come along and all of you who hand out 9's and 10's with gay abandon (can you still say that?), well, too casually IMHO, will be lost for numbers :p Anyway, I quite enjoyed it and I hope S15 is more like it.

In any other season this would have been a 9. But it's been such a dreadful series and this was, by far, the best episode of it, I had to give it a 10.

This was a proper Top Gear episode.

First, you had reviews from all three presenters. Each review was different and special. The LFA (ignoring the price tag) is an astonishing car and the special graphics really made the film of a special car itself into something special. I thought it fit and wasn't overdone. Clarkson, stuck with a crap and useless car made a film that explained as much in a manner only Clarkson can deliver. And I thoroughly enjoyed May's film, especially the bit with the lady who designed the road signs. That was something, as May said, we all take for granted and you don't think much about it in the day-to-day, but when you give it a moment of real thought it's interesting to find out about.

Wonder of wonders, the boys actually talked about cars during the news segment of a car program. I hope we get to see all of those cars in the next series.

Was a bit curious to see just what all the fuss is about with the Gocycle, unfortunately we never got to see it in action. A missed opportunity for some cheap extra content to the program.

Seasick Steve was an interesting guest, not only in appearance, but in his car history. For an old American use to crap American cars to pull in a 1:51 on a moist track in a beaten Lacetti while driving on the opposite side he's use to was pretty good.

The awards ceremony was fun. Nice to see them show some outtakes on the show itself and I always find it interesting to hear about behind-the-scenes stories such as his Stigness locking the doors of that classic Jag with the keys still in it.

Honestly, if you're reading this Andy, perhaps you should purposely cut the budget on future episodes. This episode should be a blueprint for future episodes.

Although I think you missed one point in not having a Cool Wall segment. That would have eaten up a bit of time so we wouldn't have to bother with Jeremy going on about trying to eat up time and make the episode feel cheap even though it was the most fulfilling one for quite some time.

Regardless, this is an episode I will look forward to re-watching again, unlike the rest of series 14.

WOW I absolutely loved this episode. There hasn't been one like it for quite a while. Proper Top Gear at the core. I ROFL'd a bunch of times :)

The LF-A segment should be purchased by Lexus as their sole commercial marketing piece. The manga edit was right on the spot. Who cares how much the car costs. That's why we have Top Gear to let us live it vicariously. Great in-studio bits (hammond fell over lol). Great guest (yes PLEASE get a new guest car that is somewhat good this time - Focus RS?). Great X6 bit. Did not care about the Vauxhall (was James trying subliminal pick up lines on the old lady?). Go Stig fight with Hammond.

The "is the show over yet" thing went on a little too much. I mean c'mon, filler with a few more news bits or something.

One thing that bothered me a bit is the LF-A suggested Lexus has never had anything like it which is pretty far from the truth. The LF-A is essentially a Toyota Supra which has plenty of pedigree.

Thank you Top Gear crew and everyone that made me anxiously await every episode this season, especially in HD. Looking forward to the next season of the best show in the world?

Last edited:
I did really like the episode, the reviews were entertaining, and I do like the studio bits.. I know Richard "driving" into the tree was planned, but it sure caught me by surprise :D

With regards to James' review, it wasn't his best effort.. But you do take a chance every time you decide to include an interview, don't you? He couldn't know in advance whether or not this sign lady would be any good.. She wasn't. Quite boring.
I do agree that he should have done it as a seperate feature, but that wouldn't really work with the current format and pace of the show, would it?

That Insignia though.. That's the first Vauxhall/Opel I've ever wanted.