[14x07] January 3rd, 2010

[14x07] January 3rd, 2010

• Total voters
Ok can someone explain to me why so many cars always get a sunny test by the top gear hosts and then when it comes to the test lap it is just wet?

Srsly?

I think it may be because they do the filming and the lap on different days.

^ Yep. Track/road tests are done well in advance. Laps are, I think, done on studio filming days.

Yup, and all it's done for weeks in Surrey (where Dunsfold is,and me too for the moment) is persist down rain, or snow, hence the track has been constantly sopping on filming days.

Incidentally:
"You must give some wet laps (wait, what?) out before giving them to shellygrrl again"
For always making comments that make me nod in agreement! :)

nice episode, I much prefer lots of segments rather than one or two big ones, unless its a special like bolivia or a race like slr/veyron.

was very interested in the x6 as my uncle just got one with that 35d engine too.. he wont be pleased! but he has said its cheaper to tax than the range rover he had as its classed as a car having only 4 seats.. dont know how accurate that is...

the only thing id say is scrap sign lady all together.. cut the insignia clip just as he said he ran out of things, put the insignia round that damp track! It is 4WD after all, and would be very interesting to see how it compared to the old S4 they tested ages ago against the E46 M3. I have a feeling the next reasonably price car will be an insignia actually.. not the vxr mind..

then fill the rest of the show with cool wall and the awards.. one gripe with the awards though

Car of the year, the lambo, now appeared twice in tg studio.. as car of the year why hasnt it been round the track!

so all in all, a brill episode, drop the sign lady and insert the insignia and lambo going round the track and some cool wall, would have been perfect, and cheap.

Last edited:
One of the best in my opinion, the right balance between car show and cocking about.

10/10, make series 15 like this please :)

Pretty much.

Wow at the LFA. And double wow at its price.

EDIT - also the insignia vxr sounds great. Shame it looks awful.

Easily the best normal episode this season (not counting the special). Back-to-Basics, kinda like Top Gear from some years back. Very good and interesting tests, plus some good cocking about. Why can't the show always be like this, it's much more entertaining than when they blow stuff up and make rubbish challenges just to try and be funny. This whole season was quite bad really, full of unfunny, forced bits and not enough about cars. That's the problem Top Gear has been facing for some years now. I want more like 14x07, please JC and Wilman make series 15 a bit more like this. :)

nice episode, liked it.

apart from one thing: X6 Snow test... come on guys, EVERY car sucks in such conditions with summer tyres... please... what's the point in that (or are brits really soooo unaware of winter tyres? ;))

(why summer tyres: if you play the spin part slowly you can read Dunlop SP Sport MAXX on them..)

I liked the episode, but did not hear when they would be back, not by jeremy or the lady that talks over the credits.

I really liked this episode. I have been a bit harsh about the 2-5 episodes this season. I like how James makes the segments as they many times give a bit more insight and all that, but considering i live in Finland it didn't offer much for me. This just felt like a very solid Top Gear episode with some lows, but still 80% of the time it was great.
I guess the episode would really deserve 8 maybe even a 7?, but it being last episode this season and thankfully great TG non special episode i'll gave it a 9.

The reason i'm so late is that yesterday when lisening Autoblog.com podcast i heard that there was a new episode. Yes, i thought special was the last episode :)

Last edited:
I liked the episode, but did not hear when they would be back, not by jeremy or the lady that talks over the credits.

Latest TG mag dropped through the door yesterday. Little box at the bottom of the boys' comments says series 15 will be on in the summer.

Odd how the 'cheap' episode turned out to be one of the more solid episodes in a season that has been lacking a bit.

My thoughts exactly. If all of Season 14 had been like this show, nobody would've complained... at least I wouldn't have... Just some minor gripes for me like not setting a laptime in the Insignia VXR, not comparing the LFA more prominently with the Nissan GT-R, using summer-tyres in the snow to prove the X6's worthlessness, or not reviewing my car in all of the season (;) ), but.. oh well. This one brought the show back to form and sets my hopes high for season 15.

Latest TG mag dropped through the door yesterday. Little box at the bottom of the boys' comments says series 15 will be on in the summer.

I didn't catch that, thanks for the info.

Language? What language? :blink: Put it this way, there's as much offensive language in my post is there is greenscreen in Top Gear. That is to say, NONE.
Maybe i was wrong about Hong Kong, but i get a sense of deja v? about Top Gear not using greenscreen...

AH! The Aston review that concluded the last series, surely that was no greenscreen either! :p

Greenscreen or not, the point of the whole "i went to" was to make fun of the budget cuts by making it appear like lots of pointless traveling occured for a "normal" review. I thought (and still think) HK looks like a botched greenscreen job (but maybe that's just what HK looks like :) ), which would just add another layer of humour to the whole "budget cut/traveling"-running gag. Tin foil hat my ass!

one of the best 'normal' episodes for a very long time. liked it a lot and it was very entertaining :)

one of the best 'normal' episodes for a very long time. liked it a lot and it was very entertaining :)

I agree with the above, it was a really nice car-centric ep which looked as if *god forbid* Wilman and co actually listened to the gripes of the fans and despite May's road test of the Insignia being advertised as one of the worst of the car films this ep, it had way more substance than any car review the entire series and really took me back to what i enjoy most about TG whih has been lost since series 6.

It also makes me realize how tired i've grown of Clarkson's ridiculous over-the-top reviews done with non sports/super cars (the Ford Fiesta review or the Twingo)

(or are brits really soooo unaware of winter tyres? ;))

I have never met anyone who puts winter tyres on their car. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea, and I'm not saying no one does it, but I'm pretty sure Brits who put winter tyres on are the exception, not the rule. Usually our winters, especially in the south of the country, are mild, so when we do get harsh weather (as we have at the moment) the whole place descends into chaos, and everyone in Scotland laughs at how a few centimetres of snow can bring England to a standstill. I wouldn't be surprised if Scottish people do recognise the value of winter tyres, but down here... you think you're joking, but actually, you have a point!

Honestly... we have a few inches of snow on the ground at the moment and nobody is going anywhere :lol:

Last edited:
I have never met anyone who puts winter tyres on their car. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea, and I'm not saying no one does it, but I'm pretty sure Brits who put winter tyres on are the exception, not the rule. Usually our winters, especially in the south of the country, are mild, so when we do get harsh weather (as we have at the moment) the whole place descends into chaos, and everyone in Scotland laughs at how a few centimetres of snow can bring England to a standstill. I wouldn't be surprised if Scottish people do recognise the value of winter tyres, but down here... you think you're joking, but actually, you have a point!

Honestly... we have a few inches of snow on the ground at the moment and nobody is going anywhere :lol:

Many parts of the US get snowfall in feet, not inches, hence snow tyres are quite popular in the colder parts of the country.

I think they could have shown a lot more of the LF-A. I thought it was an amazing car.

Hopefully they bring it back for a dry run around the track some time.