[14x07] September 22nd, 2008

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Last edited:
Geez, Mr Tim Shaw snap the Ali G finger-_- not cool...only Ali G have the right to do that. Boooooo Tim Shaw, he was doing alright but now he's wicked uncool. Take him off the show! boooooooooooo! 3/10 bc of tim shaw.

He wanted to what? 2001-2006 M3 all had the same headlights, unless he has a facelifted 3 series, I dont think he has an M3.

Good pick. I've never seen an E46 M3 with facelifted headlights ... his "M3" also lacks the bonnet bulge :think:

Gave this episode a 6, although I probably shoulda given it a 7.

I also gave it a 6, it was pretty boring. The Suzuki test was pointless. The tire test wasn't interesting at all. They should've included some more data. Even Tom's Ford Fiesta review doesn't interest me that much. For the GTI segment, they really should've let Tim do it. Johnny just handed the car over to that tuner and have no idea what they've done. Also, a dyno comparing the before and after would've been nice. Vicki and Tiff don't belong on bikes, that segment is boring as well.

Indeed about the episode being quite boring.

Does anyone else think anything about the ABS segment? He's thankful all new cars have ABS? ABS doesn't necessarily mean you'll stop faster or in a shorter distance... it means you'll stop more safely. Such as you won't lose control / steering in the rain as easily. So that comment was kind of ridiculous in that specific situation.

I somewhat agree with you masterevilrace, but i think what they were thinking was the fact that ABS would prevent lock and thus in the situation that they were in (wet road), it would stop the car faster. That's what i think, but hey, i'm not a mechanical engineer.

The point i wanted to make, did anyone notice how tom's section was actually a slick commercial for the ipod. (i realize they have to pay the bill, but i found it a bit interesting how it was integrated into the show) (ie product placement).

No, ABS does mean you'll stop faster. It can "pump" the brakes a lot faster than you can and it also makes sure you don't skid. A rolling tire has a lot more traction than a skidding one (static versus kinetic? friction). Ideally your tires are rolling but just on the verge of skidding.

Overcomes the skill deficiency too - how many people regularly skid so that they learn how to pump the brakes in an 'optimal' fashion?

Yes, ABS makes a huge difference to emergency braking distance.

I was on a BMW driver training course last month and the cars had a switch in them for deactivating the ABS. In the wet, at 70km/hr, ABS reduced the stopping distance by about 70%, when one applied maximum brakes. You could argue that a skilled driver might apply the brakes in a fashion that mitigates the need (advantage) for ABS, but facts are, in an emergency situation these skills are often forgotten, or not well enough remembered to be available in the split second they are required.

That self-park system is pretty common on cars in all ranges here, even down to the cheapest econobox. It was on the rental Prius I drove. I guess they were talking about their specific market but it just felt misleading.

Wow that episode was really lacking something
Didn't care for the bikes or the tire test at all.
The Suzuki and Panda segment was awful, basing how good a car is over that?
Was hoping the fiesta segment would've been better.
At least I got to see Tiff flog the GTI around the track.

I haven't seen the episode yet, but that Mkii Golf GTi did something to funny my mate.

Just been with him to buy a lovely white example off ebay!!
98b8_12.JPG