[14x08] September 29th, 2008

[14x08] September 29th, 2008

• Total voters
On a semi-related note, how is it possible for a helicopter to do that? :blink:

When he gets upside down, he turns off all lift (so the blades are just spinning and not sucking him downwards) and then gravity takes over. He couldn't fly constantly upside down as he'd literally fall like a rock though.

?88 to reset the service now display? Please.. look in your fking owners manual, tool. Most autozone and other places here will scan codes for free. Don't know if it's as accurate though since I own a scanner and it cost $50. Where's the mention of what oil he used too (Motul, Pentosynth, Elf)? That's JUST as important as the spark plugs. And he got his greased hands all over the fender after checking the suspension. That's a no no. You missed the free car wash.

spark plugs are really that expensive? The most expensive ones I ever bought in the states were 100k miles and cost 50 cents

They are if you own a German car. Most quality ones (NGK) cost $7-$10 each, and of course everything in the UK is double that.

Last edited:
Another good ep. I think it is safe to say Fifth Gear has found its groove again... not really much to whinge about this series, actually. The combination of Tim, Tom and Johnny as lead hosts works really well - I hope Tim stays on. I actually really liked his service segment; that's the kind of thing that differentiates FG from TG as Clarkson simply couldn't hold a socket wrench near a car without it catching fire or similar. Limiting Vicky, Tiff and Jason's screen time seems to be preferable, though I'd like to see Tiff do the odd review on his own that doesn't only involve flat-out racing. He's has more talent than just incredible driving.

I liked the heli stuff (though not so much the pilot driving the Porsche). I fly R/C Helis and to see a real chopper do some of what our little overpowered models can do is pretty crazy. If you could rig the swashplate to generate negative lift - like a 3D model heli in idle-up mode - then presumably it could fly upside down.

Platinum spark plugs cost about AU$20 each, so changing a set is a fair old cost.

I gave it a 10/10, forgetting the S-Class segment. Thinking it over again, I should have given it an 8 or 9. Does anyone else find American celebrities absurdly annoying on British television?

Other than that, great episode.

On a semi-related note, how is it possible for a helicopter to do that? :blink:

annoying celebrities is not restricted to any nationality, there are annoying british, european, and american celebs who appear on the show.

I thought Dirk Benedict was pretty cool, self-effacing and actually gave useful feedback that was relevant to the segment and Jonny's goal of assessing the luxury of a 9 year old used S class. Plus he didn't ramble on irrelevantly about his old career or how famous/rich he was. The Mr T story was funny.

Finally have time to watch it. I didn't think it was that great. It was alright though. The Fit review was alright, I drove the current gen Fit and it feels really light and surprisingly doesn't feel to slow. Looks like the new one will be the same.

The car maintenance segment, he doesn't really need to scan for codes if there's no CEL on. That could've saved him 100 Pounds right there.

Renault Leguna, what's up with these tiny short "reviews". Just one slalom test doesn't prove anything, and that Laguna doesn't look nearly as good as the Mondeo.

Tiff vs Jason carting, it's pretty fun, but not as good as seeing them in a car though.

Fiat Abarth, that's a pretty cool car. Especially the SS version. 180hp from a 1.4L, damn. But from what Tom said about the build quality, that engine probably wouldn't be too reliable at that high state of tune.

The helicopter stunt pilot bit, it's alright. But it's kinda pointless if he can't even get the parking and drifting right. It feels so half-assed.

But they are probably just running out of materials for this season, seeing how packed the first 6 eps are. Overall this season is very good, hope they can keep it up.

Another interesting and entertaining episode in what has been an excellent solid series. Would have liked to see a little more of the Punto Abarth, and maybe had it reviewed by VBH .... I've found her much less annoying this series ... in fact in this new toned down form I've enjoyed watching all her segments*.

* This is not code for some bit of anatomy

Last edited:
good ep, solid 8.

The helicopter stunts were amazing :woot:
FG again moved towards too much celebrities by the end of the series. Unless there are truly decidated petrolheads, somebody rich with a huge car collection or someone truly fun, it isn't really worth it.

The overall series is an improvement over the last one, I am struggling to say what improvements could be made except for less celebrities :). Dog-fights, Tom Ford reviews, Johny doing something wacky all must haves for the next series